HRMs

Options
I don't have one...and am wondering for those that do if they feel it is a "must have"? If so...what brands/types are you using?

Replies

• papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    i couldnt do without mine :noway:
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    LOVE mine. I have Polar FT4.
  • emd0019
    emd0019 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT7 and I love it. The chest strap is comfortable and hasn't ever slipped on me. I got the mens version of the watch because I liked the colors better. I have a fairly small wrist and the watch looks fine on it.
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    Just got one last week - after losing over 60 lbs without one.
    I don't think it's a MUST HAVE, but it's definitely nice to have! ;)
    I bought a Polar FT7, and fint it works great so far!
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Now that I have one, I can't imagine not having it. I use a Polar FT7.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Before I got one, I was always worried about over eating because i was just guessing on calories burned by using carious calculators. With my Polar FT-7, I think it is accurate enough that I don't worry about eating some or all of my exercise calories back.

Also, it has been interesting to see my heart rate creep down over time since I started using one for running. I use to be 178-180 while running 6 mph, now I range 172-175 running 7 mph. It shows me that my heart is getting stronger.
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm doing pretty well without one, but I keep contemplating getting one anyway. Consumer reports seems to like the Timex T5J031 more than the Polar ones, but if I get one, I'll probably still go with a Polar FT4 since a lot of people on here love that one.

Definitely want one that does the calorie counting stuff, cause I'm mentally lazy and don't want to deal with calculating calories burned based on my heart rate, I would rather have a machine do it for me. :ohwell:
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I have one that I like to use, just for the sake of curiosity. If I didn't have one, I wouldn't exercise any less than I do now.

I have a Polar HRM. I'm not sure of which model it is though. It's a salmon/pink color, so it might be a "women's" model.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I regard mine like I do my iPhone. I was just fine before I got it, but now that I have it I can't imagine going back. (I have a Polar FT7)
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just got mine Sunday. I haven't use it yet but it's the Polar FT4.
  • Nic620
    Options
    I regard mine like I do my iPhone. I was just fine before I got it, but now that I have it I can't imagine going back. (I have a Polar FT7)

Ain't that the truth!!! I was soooooo resistant when my hubby wanted me to swap my phone out when they first debuted but what did I do before lol
  • Nic620
    Options
    I have one that I like to use, just for the sake of curiosity. If I didn't have one, I wouldn't exercise any less than I do now.

I have a Polar HRM. I'm not sure of which model it is though. It's a salmon/pink color, so it might be a "women's" model.

Yeas that ugly salmon pink color for us ladies is the FT4
  • Mkrug221
    Options
    LOVE mine. I have Polar FT4.

This is what I have as well. It's nice to know realistically what I am burning.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Before I got one, I was always worried about over eating because i was just guessing on calories burned by using carious calculators. With my Polar FT-7, I think it is accurate enough that I don't worry about eating some or all of my exercise calories back.

Also, it has been interesting to see my heart rate creep down over time since I started using one for running. I use to be 178-180 while running 6 mph, now I range 172-175 running 7 mph. It shows me that my heart is getting stronger.
    This is probably the best reason to get one. As you get closer to your goal many people find they need to eat back their exercise calories. That makes counting every calorie more important to be sure you're not going over your calorie burn.
  • blue4myeyes
    blue4myeyes Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses! Looks like I had better start looking into a Polar FT4 or 7 then! ;)