"Made to Crave" - Anyone else reading/read it?

Options
Hello! My name is Jennifer & I am a fat Christian. You may think one has absolutely no bearing on the other (I used to think so, too), but they really do! I'm reading a book, "Made to Crave," by Lysa TerKuerst and it is changing the way I look at dieting. I've been trying to lose weight since my youngest child was born (5 years ago!), but nothing has really "caught" until now. Today, I'm less focused on the scale or the size of my clothes. What's most important now is that, as a Christian, I put (and keep) food in the proper context in my life. When I make my spiritual appetite a higher priority than my physical appetite, good health (i.e. weight loss) follows!
If anyone else is approaching their weight loss journey this way, I'd love to have you as a MFP friend! If you're not, add me anyway & maybe I'll make a "Made to Crave" believer out of you, too!

Replies

• Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'll add you! I have the seen the benefits in my weight loss when I stop looking at food for my emotional needs and look towards God for them instead! I've also heard a few other users talking about this book in the last few days...I'm curious now!
  • melliemel818
    melliemel818 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! My friend used to do The Makers Diet, but she felt that there were some things in the book that she didn't agree with. I'll def. share the title of this book with her and I just might have to get it for myself too. :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've read it, and it helped catapult me onto this journey...35 pounds later...I am thankful and leading a small group where we are reading the book!
  • babygyrl85
    Options
    I will add you also, don't want to read the book right now because I have a few other's like MARTY COPELAND weight loss book. But I totally agree with you, and hopefully we can encourage each other to lose spiritually :)
  • rtbrwinter
    Options
    I am reading "Made to Crave" right now and I am loving it. I am just over 1/2 way done with it. It really shows a lot of insite and I am so amazed about things as I'm reading it I can't put it down. I am hoping to do a small group study with it after I am done reading it.

Last night I had to make cookies for my son's birthday snack at school...I ate some cookie dough and then when the cookies were done I had a cookie...then another one...and as I was chewing the 3rd cookie I remembered the chapter about gluttony and actually spit out the cookie. (I've never done this before)

I need God's help to change the way I think about food and He is doing that through this book. I would highly recommend it to any Christian who needs to get their eating under control...but it's also about so much more than just eating and dieting.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I read it and loved it! It helped me redirect my "cravings". I found it to be very useful. Can't go into too much on here because of forum rules, but feel free to PM me to discuss more of the book and the philosophy behind it.
  • SkinnyMamaG
    Options
    Wow! I'm so excited to have found so many others who are taking a spiritual approach to their weight loss!

For anyone interested, Amazon.com offers the "Made to Crave" devotional as a free Kindle download. I'm reading both & both have blessed my efforts!
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Awesome book! I also got the chance to hear her speak at a women's conference - she has an amazing story! Please feel free to add me if you'd like. Good luck.
  • gods_gal
    Options
    I'm in the middle reading it right now. It has ministered to me so much. Almost every word she writes has something for me. I'm on vacation and read the section about her vacation and how she was able to stay on program and I know it's helped me this week to keep exercising and eating properly. I love this book so much! I can't even explain what it has meant to me and how it has helped me along this journey. I want to go work for Lysa!!! LOL!!
  • daphnest
    daphnest Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ive just got done with reading made to crave. It has changed my life. This week I know I had the lord strenghth with me. I was so easy. I prayed if he was here I woulg give him a great big hug. I dont have very many friends on here so if anyone want to add me you can.
  • Franhall06
    Options
    I JUST started reading this book today. I have struggled with an eating disorder since I was 15 and have trouble finding balance in ANY diet. I'm barely in the book and she's already hit home and so many things. I pray I come out of this book with a new view on food. So excited!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I JUST started reading this book today. I have struggled with an eating disorder since I was 15 and have trouble finding balance in ANY diet. I'm barely in the book and she's already hit home and so many things. I pray I come out of this book with a new view on food. So excited!

I hope you'll love it as much as I did! Isn't it crazy how you can read a book and it's like the author is talking to you?
  • Franhall06
    Options
    Already feeling the crying issue today!! LOL.
  • mikoperez
    Options
    I read the book over the summer with some girlfriends and we met once a week to talk about the personal reflections. But I just started the book again in combination with the participant guide and video series. It has taken it to a whole new level.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    YES- EXCELLENT book- re-read several of the chapters- I like to chew on it... Passed it onto my oldest daughter.
    Feel free to add me too!