Tuna Salad-HELP!

Options
hey guys, i need some advice! i am craving a tuna salad but i don't want to use mayo, i have the light kind but i'm still not happy with the calorie content. any suggestions for a yummy yet healthy tuna salad? thanks for you help!

Replies

• kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    ive heard plain greek yogurt but it sounds weird to me..
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I use a mixture of half low fat mayo and half plain fat free Greek yogurt.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump
  • eksb
    eksb Posts: 93
    Options
    I like greek yogurt on mine, sometimes mustard, sometimes light balsamic salad dressing. Also, filling it with veggies like celery, bell peppers, onions, etc and chopped hard boiled egg, pickles, slivered almonds....yum!
  • meganmcg77
    Options
    Spicy mustard! I use a tiny bit of light mayo with it too, but would be good with just the mustard. Then add a ton of peppers and celery - yum!
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    i like it with salsa, hot sauce or mustard.
  • mpbfmom
    mpbfmom Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've used tzatski (can't spell that) sauce....yogurt, cucumber, dill. Really good.
  • christineanne8
    Options
    I use Walden Farms brand Ranch (0 calories!), as well as spicy mustard.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I am having tuna salad for dinner tonight. I use Walden Farms 0 cal, 0 carb, 0 fat honey mustard dressign in it. I put it on top of grilled zucchini, top with a tomato, and sprinkle cheese on it and broil for a min or two.
  • OliveBruises
    OliveBruises Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I know it's not the old fashioned tuna salad you're probably looking for - but I like to mix tuna and salsa together! It's really yummy. And today for lunch I'm actually having tuna + brown rice + a teriyaki sauce & sriracha mixture + asparagus. It's like a rice & tuna bowl. Oh and here is a recipe from hungry girl for tuna salad wraps:

Italiano Tuna Salad Wraps
    PER SERVING (1/2 of recipe, 1 wrap): 301 calories, 6.5g fat, 1,120mg sodium, 32g carbs, 7g fiber, 5.5g sugars, 35g protein -- PointsPlus® value 8*

Dining solo? Save half of the salad and assemble the second wrap another day. Have a chewing companion? Your pal's in for a TREAT!

Ingredients:
    Two 5-oz. cans albacore tuna in water, drained and flaked
    1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
    2 tbsp. drained and chopped roasted red peppers (previously packed in water)
    2 tbsp. sliced black olives
    1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
    1/8 tsp. garlic powder
    1/8 tsp. onion powder
    2 medium-large high-fiber flour tortillas with 110 calories or less each (like the kinds by La Tortilla Factory)
    1 cup chopped lettuce
    4 large tomato slices
    2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil

Directions:
    In a medium bowl, combine tuna, mayo, red peppers, olives, and dried seasonings. Stir thoroughly and set aside.

Lay tortillas side by side on a clean dry surface, and evenly distribute lettuce over the bottom halves of the tortillas. Evenly top lettuce with tomato slices, followed by tuna mixture and basil.

Carefully and tightly roll up each tortilla over the filling from the bottom to the top. Secure with toothpicks if needed. Slice in half, if you like, or just dig in! (But whatever you do, don't eat the toothpicks!)

MAKES 2 SERVINGS

HG Tip: Sodium counters can save around 300mg per serving by using low-sodium albacore tuna.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I use a mixture of half low fat mayo and half plain fat free Greek yogurt.

This is what I do and you can't tell the difference. I also use a little sugar free sweet relish and it adds a nice flavor without adding many calories.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I use fat free or low fat sour cream. Half the calories and I like the tanginess of it. I usually add hot pepper relish or bread and butter pickles for crunch and some hot sauce. I'm a weirdo and I hate celery though!
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I just finished my lunch and had tuna and salad. All I did was mix it with Tzatziti yougurt cucumber dip and a little ground pepper! It is very filling and YUMMY! Best part is its low cal and good for you! Hope you like it!
  • kdeven
    kdeven Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Spicy Mustard
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I like it with rice wine vinegar and chopped up carrots, bell pepper, cucumber and green onion.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of mashed potatoes.. the instant kind
  • jal287
    jal287 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Spicy Hummus...YUM!
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I use white balsalmic vinegar, salt, pepper, green red and yellow diced peppers, diced onion and a dash of oil. Very yummy and healthy but if you're looking for creamy this will not do.
  • odessablondie
    odessablondie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I throw a tiny bit of light miracle whip and then mustard and a little pickle juice. Dice up some celery, onions and pickles. YUMMMM I'm weird though. :)
  • Dwilliams306
    Options
    Get the Starkist tuna salad packet ready made at your grocery store, one packet is only 100 calories, and put it on light bread and there's your lunch sandwich. You can take it anywhere too. I put mine in the frig cause I like it cold. They sell it where they sell the cans of tuna. It's in the database of MFP.