Breakfast Rut

Options
Good morning! I am looking for some new breakfast ideas. I am just not an oatmeal or yogurt person. I've tried... it's just not enjoyable and therefore not sustainable. I love fruit, and of course, carbs ;)

TIA! - Georgia

Replies

• SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    You can have any meal for breakfast … explore new fruits.. try going to an international market and try new things. Starfruit? Soursop? Passion fruit?
    If you like carbs.. quinoa? farro? Buckwheat waffles and berries? Polenta and eggs?
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to try it, I found baked oatmeal to be very tasty. I do not like the texture of "overnight oats" or regular oatmeal made on the stove. But baked it has a less liquidy texture that I really like. I usually make a variation on this recipe: https://www.budgetbytes.com/oatmeal-cookie-baked-oatmeal/ (changing the fruit, reducing the sugar, adding flax seed, etc. But it's been a good "base" for me.)

I agree with @cmriverside that you can eat whatever you like for breakfast. I frequently eat dinner leftovers if they need to be used up, though I enjoy typical breakfast foods too. Prepping ahead is key for me on weekdays.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I really like chia pudding with fruit and nuts. Eatingwell.com has some great recipes. They also had a “smoothie bowl” recipe that I haven’t tried, but I plan to!
  • sarakenna12
    sarakenna12 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm a savory breakfast person. My favorite right now is fried rice. I saute lots of veggies first, because I like a full belly and veggies help me feel satiated. My go-tos are zucchini, onion, mushroom, and some sort of brassica like chopped Brussels sprouts or cabbage. I saute until crisp/soft, then add in 1/2 cup pre-cooked rice (I use jasmine but brown has more fiber). I love kimchi so I'll often add 1/2 of that to season the rice but if I don't have kimchi I'll add a bit of soy sauce or tamari, oyster sauce, maybe a touch of sesame oil. Honestly, I just use a little bit of what I have on hand in terms of asian sauces. Just be mindful of the quantity especially if it has added sugar, like hoisin. Saute for a bit longer to cook down and distribute the flavorings. I finish with some sriracha. It's super filling, provides carbs for energy, but stays under 300 calories. If I'm extra hungry I'll add a fried or soft boiled egg on top.
  • nlmeehan
    nlmeehan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Egg white muffins :) I usually make them on Sunday's so I have them for the week. I use 2 egg whites per muffin "cup". Ill crack it in the cup, add seasonings ( I used everything bagel seasoning, garlic salt, and some of the hot sauce "dry rub", a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese and mix it up. Then I add some veggies like broccoli & cauliflower. They store great in the fridge and then I just pop them in the microwave for 30secs-1 min and they are delicious. I typically eat 2 at a time. Another one I do frequently is toast a slice of Dave's good seed bread, spread a wedge of laughing cow cheese, or some quac on the toast, add some everything bagel seasoning and a slice hard boiled egg on top. So simple and yummy!
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,721 Member
    Options
    I often have greens or vegetables in the late morning. Having carbs in the a.m. always makes me hungry the rest of the day. I like oatmeal, buckwheat, Muraski sweet potatoes but at night
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Tacos! Low cal corn tortillas, chicken breast, avocado, crumple cheese and my home made salsa. 3 are around 475 calories.
  • mlpatrick335
    mlpatrick335 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Egg in a basket. One slice of Ezekiel bread (in the freezer or refrig section of the grocery store). Make a depression in the center of the wad slice, crack an egg in the ctr and bake Toaster oven is great. This recipe is in Pinterest and may be in Allrecipes.com
  • KimberlinaB
    KimberlinaB Posts: 4,017 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I do "sweet" for breakfast, and have plain fat free greek yogurt, and add in a half scoop of protein powder and a splash of sugar free maple syrup, and top with a small amount of granola and some fresh berries. :) Keeps my sweet tooth satisfied and off my back for the day.

ETA: Just read that you don't like yogurt. haha Sorry about that! Fruit Smoothies? (with added protein, and yogurt if you don't mind it blended in.)

There are tons of ideas out there on Pinterest as well.
  • GeeBee08505
    GeeBee08505 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I do "sweet" for breakfast, and have plain fat free greek yogurt, and add in a half scoop of protein powder and a splash of sugar free maple syrup, and top with a small amount of granola and some fresh berries. :) Keeps my sweet tooth satisfied and off my back for the day.

ETA: Just read that you don't like yogurt. haha Sorry about that! Fruit Smoothies? (with added protein, and yogurt if you don't mind it blended in.)

There are tons of ideas out there on Pinterest as well.

Thanks so much! I have found some great ideas on Pinterest and will keep looking!! :)
  • Freelo00
    Freelo00 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A few ideas I can think of are..
    - Potato waffles with poached or fried eggs on top with a sprinkle of white pepper
    - French toast
    - Oat pancakes (I know you said your not a fan of oats but this is a completely different texture and you can always add different toppings to it or by adding in the mix like coco powder/cinnamon etc.
    - Jam or peanut butter on toast
    - Toasted cinnamon bagels with butter or another topping you like.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    piece of toast with a fried egg and slice of cheese
  • MFPbuttoni
    MFPbuttoni Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Not promoting my site here, but will post the occasional recipe if someone asks about a recipe I have created/modified for low-carb on my site. I currently have some 2000 family favorites modified for Atkins low-carb lifestyle on my site. They are not all low-calorie recipes but most ring in at well under 10g. net carbs (carbs minus fiber) per serving, many even much lower than that. There is a lot of variety there (blog is 14 years old now). I personally think food boredom is the kiss of death for any diet, so I try real hard to avoid that, myself. :smile: I think you'll find the Breakfast category on my site is extensive.......some egg dishes for non-egg lovers like me, some baked sweets, lots of sausage gravy-type dishes and quiches. I'm 74 years old and have been cooking since I was 15, so I have a wealth of cooking tips and shortcuts that have become second nature to me when I'm cooking. People on the Atkins forums 14 years ago when I first started low-carbing begged me to set up a site for my recipes and the rest is history. If you're tired of the same old eggs day in and day out, check it out sometime. https://buttoni.wordpress.com
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    We have egg laying hens but I like to eat more food but with fewer calories. I like to have one egg and add 50grams of egg whites. I top it with leftover veg stirfry, or some diced leftover meat from evening meal prior. My absolute favorite meal is tinned sardines, Wasa crackers and hummus or cottage cheese. Never thought. I would love sardines but OMG they re tasty little treats.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I just had a breakfast burrito that hit the spot: a scramble of mushrooms, an egg, and a little cheese (I cooked it in the air fryer) on an Xtreme Wellness wrap. It was about 250 calories.

Another breakfast I like I smoked salmon and light cream cheese on crispbread crackers (with slivers of red onion, capers, and a squeeze of lemon).

You said you’re not an oatmeal person. Me neither, but I do enjoy cold overnight oats with a lot of stuff. I use 1/2 cup oats, a tablespoon of chia seeds, 2 teaspoons maple syrup, and 3/4 cup almond milk for the basic recipe. The “stuff” can be toasted nuts, fruit, etc.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options
    I normally do have fruit, yogurt, and cereal, but this AM it was really cold because of our stupid heating system and I wanted something warm, so scrambled two eggs with 1 half cup leftover Thai fried rice and 50 g broccoli. The rice was spicier than I would have liked and the eggs made it more palatable.

I'll also scramble eggs with small amounts of leftover pasta and meat, especially if there wasn't enough for a full dinner sized serving.

It was consistently colder at my last house and I'd regularly eat Mujadara (Lebanese Lentils and Rice) for breakfast. I'd make a big batch and freeze some of it in two serving sized containers,
  • BettyBeth14
    BettyBeth14 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    breakfast I've discovered since paying more attention to macros is bagels.
    Either bacon medallions, or heck sausages.
    1 egg per bagel thin, whisks up then fried in a pan so its like an omelette type. toast the bagel, cook the bacon or sausages, layer up, with half a slice of cheese. Can be frozen too so I tend to prep 5 a week and then I'm good :)
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Tortilla filled with scrambled egg, refried and black beans, sliced onion, and cheese, fried up in a pan. Filling, tasty, and about 400 calories if you add a glass of OJ.