GAINED 4 POUNDS!!!

Options

Replies

• NashvilleShelley
    Options
    I only gained 3 pounds and ate 2 pieces of pizza!!! Just started my 4th week....ugh! Everyone says it is water in your muscles healing them...but no one tells you how long does it take for them to heal?? 1 week, 2 weeks???? When will the scale move down again??? Thanks!! : )
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Question...you weighed 4 pounds heavier on the doctor's scale than the one at home? If the answer is yes, I'm not surprised. I weigh 5 pounds heavier at the drs office as I have on clothes and shoes. Something to consider.

hmmmm...I overlooked this in your initial post. you should always use the SAME scale at the SAME time of the day (and in the SAME place as well). there are variations in scales. I don't care if I weigh 2, 3 or 5 pounds more on someone else's scale because I assume my starting weight would be that much higher on that other scale. I use the same scale so I know exactly how much I've lost. Also, if you were weighing in during the day, as opposed to first thing in the morning, that's just not going to be a proper indicator because weight fluctuates throughout the day (usually going up until bedtime and back down while sleeping).
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    are you checking portion sizes that can make a huge difference,have you also put in the correct lifestyle for yor calorie allowance that could make a difference,also what type of food choices are you making are they healthy.The slip up with the pizza will delay you again,the important thing is not to give up,maybe your muscle mass has increased,this would make you look leaner but gain weight try measuring yourself this will let you know if this is the case......Keep on logging and dont give up it does work,all the best for your journey
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    4 pounds is nothing. My weight will go up or down up to five pounds in a single day.
  • glenbabe
    Options
    Question...you weighed 4 pounds heavier on the doctor's scale than the one at home? If the answer is yes, I'm not surprised. I weigh 5 pounds heavier at the drs office as I have on clothes and shoes. Something to consider.

hmmmm...I overlooked this in your initial post. you should always use the SAME scale at the SAME time of the day (and in the SAME place as well). there are variations in scales. I don't care if I weigh 2, 3 or 5 pounds more on someone else's scale because I assume my starting weight would be that much higher on that other scale. I use the same scale so I know exactly how much I've lost. Also, if you were weighing in during the day, as opposed to first thing in the morning, that's just not going to be a proper indicator because weight fluctuates throughout the day (usually going up until bedtime and back down while sleeping).

sound advice it could well be this
  • ChubbyMIgurl
    Options
    I guess I thought I was fine with the foods I was eating as long as it was under the 1200 calories. And yes, I do monitor ALL portions that I intake.
  • ChubbyMIgurl
    Options
    You may want to try adding some strength training to your exercise program. I walk about 30 minutes a day including hills to take my kids to school and it really doesn't burn that many calories. It's a great exercise, but I would add strength too.

Which is fine... but remember I am VERY out of shape and JUST starting to excercise again. Me walking every day is huge for me. I will keep building up my endourance and will get there.... have no gym membership
  • lambeas
    lambeas Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    DO NOT GIVE UP- EVER!!

I can go up and down +-3lbs easily.. weight can fluctuate for NO reason... whenever you weigh yourself you should also have a pair of pants or a "target outfit" to try on at the same time, because the scale does not always reflect the hard work you are putting in. I use a pair of jeans that I want to wear again.,.. so I try them on right after the scale...and there you can ALWAYS feel a difference if you are losing =)

Also, I noticed that you do not track sodium in your diet, nor sugar... these are two things for women that can sure become a barrier. Maybe add those items and see if that helps... because although the calories are low... the sodium might be WAY too high, making you retain water... etc.. etc..

Just don't give up...and don't put all your self-esteem on what a scale number produces!
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    okay i looked at your diary. you are eating out way too much!i would change your settings to also monitor your sodium. a lot of the stuff you are eating is VERY high in sodium. make sure you are drinking a lot of water to flush that all out. While you are staying within your calorie range (which i still think is too low, i would up to around 1500-1600) you need to make sure that the food you are eating is healthy. I know it is hard when you have a busy life but believe me, that was my biggest "lifestyle" change. I still eat out but i mainly try and cook/prep ahead of time. If you need any tips or anything feel free to add me! Good luck :)
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary and you a lot of processed foods which are heavy on the sodium. You might want to add sodium to your daily tracker in your diary. You need more veggies for starters.
  • SuzyQ5102
    Options
    I agree that don't ever give up.

I would also agree, you might not be eating enough for your body not to feel like it is starving. The brief look I did at your journal, I might also suggest getting in more wholesome foods, like more veggies and fruits and adding more variety to your diet. That has been one thing I have been working on and feel a lot better but just adding those in, and on the plus side I eat less cause I get full off of less calories :)

Good luck!!!
  • H_Factor
    Options
    You may want to try adding some strength training to your exercise program. I walk about 30 minutes a day including hills to take my kids to school and it really doesn't burn that many calories. It's a great exercise, but I would add strength too.

Which is fine... but remember I am VERY out of shape and JUST starting to excercise again. Me walking every day is huge for me. I will keep building up my endourance and will get there.... have no gym membership

you can lose weight without any exercise. exercise has its benefits, but in terms of fat loss, its secondary to what you eat/drink. I lost my first 23 pounds without exercise. I added exercise because I wanted to begin the toning up....and I didn't jump in and start to kick butt right away...I added intensity/variation over time.
  • bugsygal89
    bugsygal89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You also have to keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat and therefore, a better gauge of your progress is how your clothing fits (unless you are bloated as well...).

Also, don't lose hope. There are plenty of reasons why your weight might fluctuate such as "that time of the month" or water retention or just the time of day!
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options

This was my first thought too - Different scale, different time of day (I weight at least 4 more lbs when I get home from work then before I went and that's on the same scale). When I go to the dr's I get on the scale backwards and ask them not to tell me what it says.
  • H_Factor
    Options
    looking at your food journal, I recommend making some changes. if you cut out grains/breads/rice/pasta for a week, I bet you will notice a difference. sure, having a caloric deficit is your #1 goal...but choosing more natural foods, and fewer processed foods, will help a lot. also, drinking water will help (if you're not already doing that).
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Like other people have said, keep track only with your scale at home. The doctor weighs me fully clothed and with shoes on. That's enough to add 5 pounds, plus if you've had anything to drink it can add several pounds.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hugs! You are on the right track!
    My suggestion would be to start eliminating some of those processed and packaged foods. Just because they keep you in your caloric range, doesn't mean they are good for your body!
    Do you cook? If not, look into a simple ingredient cookbook, or even crock-pot meals (no cooking!), that will really help increase your veggies and sodium.
  • kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Just took a quick look at your food diary. I might suggest less processed food. Looks like the majority of what you eat comes from restaurants and frozen foods. When you do this, the proportions and such are always off; you get 4 tablespoons of mayo on that sub rather than the online calorie count of 2. Little things like this add up quickly. Also, frozen food (even the healthy choice ones) have a huge amount of sodium which can have the effect of water retention on your body.

I would suggest trying to start making your own meals at home. :wink:
  • glenbabe
    Options
    for sure it is your choices,this means that although you are within the calories set you are not eating enough to burn.You need to eat more natural whoulesome foods,especially fruit and vegetables which are low in calories but bulks you out and helps you burn more.Choices are important,best of luck
  • thompson000
    Options
    Try tracking your sodium, those lean cuisine meals are low in calories but KILLER in sodium, I use to eat those to everyday for 2 months and the scale wouldnt budge, so I quit. I track sodium also, the laughing cow cheese wedges are low in cal. but high in sodium. It is amazing how much sodium is in so called low calorie, good for you, foods. Take a peak next time you are shopping. your intake should be around 2500 a day.