losing steam

Options
I'm lost..I've been doing everything right, drinking tons of water, under my calories, working out and I seem to fluctuate between 6lbs.. 273-279..I shared a movie popcorn with my husband 2 nights ago and now I'm back at the high end 278lbs. This is very depressing :( Anyone else dealing with this same problem?

Replies

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Hard to say without being able to see your diary.

Are you hitting your calorie goals? How long have you been at it? Remember, you will only lose up to 2 pounds a week.

I've been at this since July 23, I think, and I'm down 10 pounds. That's about 1.2 pounds a week.

Steve
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    There are two possibilities here: 1) You're doing everything right, and you have a medical condition or 2) you're not doing everything quite right.

Change things up a bit. I totally understand how you feel, though. I can't really afford a trainer, but every 6 months or so I manage to find the money for 2 or 3 sessions for tips and extra motivation.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Mix up your exercises... that can help.
  • nikkif87
    nikkif87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I agree with MikeSea. You may be under your calories, but some of your food choices might not be too good. Like are you eating more sodium than recommended? That is a biggie that some people don't realize.
  • russellbrit
    Options
    You said, "under calories," and that might be part of the problem. I spoke to a nurse, and she told me to be careful - you should hit your calorie goal each date so your body doesn't go into starvation mode where it will just hold on to what it has. Just a thought. :)

I've been here for a few weeks, and hesitate to weigh myself for this very reason.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    There are definitely multiple possibilities. In addition to what MikeSEA brought up, could it be that you're not measuring your food portions correctly? That could lead to significant under/ overeating, and neither is beneficial.
  • kristyrenee04
    Options
    i am having the same issue i have lost 22lbs since i started but cant get past 180
  • alibreasy
    alibreasy Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Well...I do understand about fluctuations...I was paused for several months and I could've just died. What changed things for me (and believe me I am still changing things up) is that I got a HRM to monitor my heart and reach my maximum burns with each workout, it will tell you how to push yourself into a fat burning machine and it is so accurate in counting how many actual calories your body is burning. Also cut back on your carb intake that will be a big help too. If you have some Jillian MIchaels or Bob Harper Biggest Loser DVDs "do them" they are not playing they really work because they are real big on the metabolic high intensity training...I know doing the same DVDs everyday can get boring so make sure you switch things up at least every two weeks. Continue drinking a ton of water (this is an area I have a problem with being consistent at). I am pretty sure you will begin to see results...please whatever you do NEVER EVER EVER give up! ;-)
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    DON'T LOSE FAITH! It looks like you've hit your very first plataeu. Keep doing everything right for a couple weeks. Make sure you get your calories. It also helps if you eat more protein and less carbs and fat. Drink water. Maybe make your workouts a lil more intense. If your still having troubles in a couple weeks, try have a cheat day, then the next day, start hitting it relentlessly with an excellent diet and good excercise. Sometimes, all people need is a cheat day and then more good choices following to break a plateau.
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    Also, the closer you get to your goal weight, the slower it comes off. They say the last 10 pounds is always the hardest. Just keep at it! :D
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    yes. I am at my body's set point & seem stuck. My body does not want to be any thinner. It is now a contest of wills to see who will get their way
  • NWfluffy
    NWfluffy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    measure, weigh, and record. It's a bit of a pain, but was really enlightening for me. After dieting off and on forever. I was sure I could eyeball things. Turns out my idea of 3 oz is more like 4 or 5 and my idea of 1/2 cup is closer to 3/4. Doesn't seem like much, but adds up over the day. And make sure you record those 5 fries you snagged from the kids, etc :) When you eat the movie popcorn, bring a container of your own (2 cup size or so) and keep track of exactly how many of these you eat so you can log accurately. Good luck and keep with it!!!
  • Mochapman
    Options
    Don't lose hope! You may need to change things up a bit to get off this plateau, but this is going to happen throughout your weight loss journey.

Take a look at your food diary, and take a look at the other aspects of the nutrition info - some things may be low in calories but high in sodium, which can cause water retention and lead to weight gain. Movie popcorn is notorious for that, because of all the salt the theatres put on the popcorn before handing it out to their customers.

Do you drink a lot of sodas? A friend of mine gave up sodas completely, and lost something like 20 lbs without even trying. Of course, that was in our younger years, but the result still stuck in my mind. I finally gave up caffeine and sodas (I do have one cup of coffee in the morning, tho), and I swear that even though it didn't affect my weight loss, I sleep so much better and, overall, feel better. I've heard about studies that claim restful sleep affects weight loss.

You may also need to shake up your exercise routine. Sometimes just doing something different will get your body going in a new direction.

Keep eating right, keep moving, get plenty of restful sleep, and things will work themselves out. I have to keep reminding myself of that, too -- my plateau is imminent. BTW, I've been a MFP member since the beginning of September, and I've lost 7 lbs.

YOU CAN DO IT!!! :smile: