Knee Replacement Surgery

Options
shanthireddyk
shanthireddyk Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
Recently my sister had Knee replacement surgery but after 1 month of a surgery her leg is swelling. Please help me what kind of exercises she should follow and how to overcome this problem?

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    You should encourage her to consult her doctor about this.
  • Spammyamfa
    Spammyamfa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm having mine done in the next couple of weeks and been recommended some exercises meant for this on YouTube. Look on there and search for Talking with Docs. Look through their videos as they have posted some meant for this. Your Sister should also have been given Naproxen (here in UK anyway). If she hasn't speak to her Dr and ask about it as that is what I was given last time as my leg was very painful from swelling.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    She should absolutely speak to her doctor about both the swelling and what exercises to do, and when to start exercising. I had a very different surgery and both my verbal instructions and discharge paperwork discussed when and what kinds of exercise to do.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Here in the states, they start PT after a knee replacement at the hospital, then have a therapist go to the house until the person with the knee replacement is able to drive or be driven to the therapist's office. Starting early makes a big difference in the outcome. Your sister should talk to her doctor or therapist about what exercises she needs to be doing and how to reduce the swelling.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    You are a sweet and caring sister, but I suspect she’s not following instructions. You can’t “make” people do things they’re unwilling to do. All you can do is encourage, maybe offer to do some things with her. I’d also be concerned as to why she doesn’t have the nads to call her doctor and ask for herself.

As someone else said, she should have discharge papers outlining what she needs to do. Review those with her and see is she/has she done them?

Saying this as a post-surgery patient who didn’t do anything that was recommended and ended up basically ripping out all the stitches because “I thought I knew what was best for me”. Re-healing is a darn sight harder, way more painful, and much much longer to heal than doing it right the first time.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    I had mine last year. Swelling means something isn’t right. Get back to the doc ASAP there may be an infection and that is a MAJOR issue.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above advice to check with dr. Swelling is wrong, especially if the knee is hot/warm to the touch and/or red it could be infected and you dont want that to spread.