days before a race (15K)

Options
I'll be honest, I haven't really been training fully for it. I was up to an 8 mile long run back on the 27th of August, but I haven't done any long runs since then, and really haven't been training much at all these past two weeks (been completely off track). Well, I have my 15K on Saturday, and I'm trying to get back on track, so I'm wondering what exercise I can do without too much exertion these two days. I figured a 2 mile run and a lot of stretching this evening shouldn't be bad, right? But how about tomorrow? Should I just keep it strictly rest and maybe some walking/stretching?

Replies

• Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I still haven't done even a 10k, since it was jinxed and has been rescheduled twice, but I typically go easy (just walking, or even a full rest day) the day before a race.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Hi Schwiggs!!!! Your thread looked lonely so I thought I'd pop in and keep you company...
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I haven't done one either, but definitely some stretching and or walking. Maybe look it up & see what the "experts" say? :bigsmile:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My $.02 - rest or a couple easy miles tomorrow isn't going to matter either way.

As far as racing while a bit undertrained, the key is to SLOW down. 15K is a little shy of 10 miles. I know you can do it, but you can't blast off at your 5K pace.

Good luck and enjoy the race!
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Relax. You've got the right idea. Rest up, but keep yourself primed. Eat well, and if you can, avoid alcohol.

Be prepared with water, carbs, and electrolytes for the race. Consider clothing, in case it's cold before the race, you don't want your muscles to tighten up. Think of anything else you might want and pack it ahead of time.
  • suesuefarrell
    Options
    Hi there - I've done a few races this year and have learned the hard way that YOU HAVE TO EAT WELL up to the race. For instance, I was trying to lose weight while training for a Half marathon and found myself dizzy and destroyed on my long runs. I spoke to a friend of mine who has done many Halfs and Full, and she said EATING was KEY to having a good race.

So, you have to start a healthy carb load today for your race this weekend. I generally would say a great pasta dish (not whole wheat unless you want to stop for washroom breaks because of too much fiber in your diet!! HAHA). Oats and white bagels and banana morning of... AND DRINK LOADS of water (Gatorade or similiar for electrolytes), starting now.

I wish you much luck and it looks like you are on the right track - - looking great!
    Post your results!
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'd say training is less important than proper nutrition and hydration. Your run today won't increase your endurance/stamina on race day, but if you start drinking and eating right - and from what I understand, especially drinking - you can actually get better. If you have never tried GU or so, maybe just eat one. Don't try it the first time during a race because some people get the trotts or stomach issues from them. I love it and I get a major energy boost.

I don't think you can compare a 5k to a 15k. I did one of my (few) 5ks on basically an empty stomach just with a cup of coffee. I had GU but didn't take it cause it was in my husband's backpack and he was gone. I had kept the water because you should take GU with water - but it was with the GU, so when I started running I realized 5 minutes in that I was already dehydrated and had no energy.
    Now, you can do that for a 5k -- for a 15k I would have been so screwed!

Here is something about hydration: http://running.about.com/od/nutritionandhydration/a/hydration101.htm