Paleo Eating- Who does it?

Options
Reading up on this type. And it's very intriguing. I've been stuck in a food rut for several months now, and have about 25 lbs I'd still like to shed. Do you do this Paleo diet? Do you like it?

Please share your thoughts about it!

Replies

• mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I sort of do it... well.. did it for many years and maintained just fine on it but the caloric intake was high enough that combined with my lack of exercise I never lost weight. But, having a desk job in my 40's and not putting on weight with a lack of exercise speaks volumes.

In addition to that, my wife went for her physical yesterday and the MD recommended it.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I do, and so far I love it. It has completely changed the way I think about food (in a good way). But I have a feeling this post is going to turn into another heated battle. They always do, so I'm sorry in advance!

If you want to know more, you can message me and add me! I'm a strong believer and I've only been at it for a month or so.
  • Iridivine
    Options
    My most fit friend, (fitness instructor, Runner, health guru) Swears by the paleo diet.She loves it.
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I eat Primal and it has changed my life! blood sugars are normal and I'm down 30lbs as of today. I started mid June but didn't go full Primal until August.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Paleo is bunk!!! You're asking your body to devolve thousands and thousands of years and what? You think that the caveman didn't eat corn, or grind grain on a rock? Look at primitive natives, they definately did both. Paleo is just the new Atkins and the results are the same...eventual return of whatever weight you lost.
  • mmcperez
    mmcperez Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Been doing it for the past 2.5 months and have lost 20 lbs. I feel much better since making the change. I feel full after eating and don't have any sugar cravings. I wish I would have started doing it years ago.
  • queenbcronen
    Options
    Paleo is bunk!!! You're asking your body to devolve thousands and thousands of years and what? You think that the caveman didn't eat corn, or grind grain on a rock? Look at primitive natives, they definately did both. Paleo is just the new Atkins and the results are the same...eventual return of whatever weight you lost.
    So someone that is diabetic should continue to eat things that caused them to be diabetic in the first place? It is not the Atkins. Read the books and then voice your opinion.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Reading up on this type. And it's very intriguing. I've been stuck in a food rut for several months now, and have about 25 lbs I'd still like to shed. Do you do this Paleo diet? Do you like it?

Yes, I do and I :heart: it. I have more energy, feel better, sleep better and love not being hungry. I also love that you eat high fat that your body is satisfied, your food is rich and tasty and I can go hours and hours without being hungry or needing to eat.

It is food freedom!!!
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Its really not the new Atkins.....Its a lifestyle change and yes it does take getting used to. Start off slow and ease into it...Don't cut out everything all at once or you will give in to temptation.....

I feel much better myself....and have noticed the weight starting to slide off.....

But please remember it is a lifestyle change not a diet
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options

LOL. Evolution takes longer than 200 or 1000 years......

The reason it's called Paleo is because it's modeled around humans during PALEOLITHIC Era. If you don't want to try it or haven't tried it......that's certainly your choice. But before calling it complete garbage because you love eating your corn on the cob and your wheaties in the morning, you should probably do a little bit of reading as to the reasons why grains and legumes are removed from the diet. It might open your mind.

I changed the way I eat to a strict primal diet 7 weeks ago and I LOVE it. I have never felt better.
  • queenbcronen
    Options

LOL. Evolution takes longer than 200 or 1000 years......

The reason it's called Paleo is because it's modeled around humans during PALEOLITHIC Era. If you don't want to try it or haven't tried it......that's certainly your choice. But before calling it complete garbage because you love eating your corn on the cob and your wheaties in the morning, you should probably do a little bit of reading as to the reasons why grains and legumes are removed from the diet. It might open your mind.

I changed the way I eat to a strict primal diet 7 weeks ago and I LOVE it. I have never felt better.
    Well said! :smile:
  • laurad1406
    Options
    I find this SO intriguing! I definitely need to look more into it. (and i'm sorry for those of you on it who always have to defend yourselves because everyone argues constantly! But I do find your rebuttals quite informative :smile: )
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options

The history of man goes back a million years, yet you want to base your diet on a few thousand? That's not nearly enough time for our bodies to adapt to these foods.

Both Atkins and Paleo/Primal are lifestyles. If eating refined grains got you fat, going back to eating them after stopping for awhile will probably make you fat again.
  • Grokette
    Options
    So someone that is diabetic should continue to eat things that caused them to be diabetic in the first place? It is not the Atkins. Read the books and then voice your opinion.

As someone that was on Atkins and then transitioned over to Paleo there is not much difference in the plans.

They are both low carb, they both work. They are both lifestyle changes also.

The major differences between Atkins and Paleo is:

Atkins is an elimination plan in which starts out with Phase 1 and ends in Phase 4 Lifetime maintenance. With Atkins you slowly add back in foods according to the glycemic index and that is including dairy, beans, grains, etc.

Paleo you just eat fat, protein, vegetables and fruits for life. There is no dairy, grains and legumes on this plan; whereas with Atkins those foods are eventually allowed.

Personally I like both plans. Atkins taught me a lot about my body and how it responds to a lot of different foods, including some vegetables and fruits.

With Paleo, I was willing to give up those grains, legumes and most dairy that I had on Atkins because I am focusing more and more on good health.
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't mind defending the lifestyle. I understand why everyone has such a hard time buying into it. It goes against everything you've learned up to this point. The fact of the matter is........that it just simply works. I can't even count how many success stories I've read about people with health problems who have change to a paleo lifestyle and their preexisting conditions seem to fade away and they can get back to enjoying their life again. Acid reflux, IBS, pre-diabetic, type II diabetic......just to name a few.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Its really not the new Atkins.....Its a lifestyle change and yes it does take getting used to. Start off slow and ease into it...Don't cut out everything all at once or you will give in to temptation.....

I feel much better myself....and have noticed the weight starting to slide off.....

But please remember it is a lifestyle change not a diet

Atkins is not a Diet either..................It is a Nutritonal Approach and a Lifestyle Change.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Yes, I do and I :heart: it. I have more energy, feel better, sleep better and love not being hungry. I also love that you eat high fat that your body is satisfied, your food is rich and tasty and I can go hours and hours without being hungry or needing to eat.

It is food freedom!!!

i beleive you said your diet is about 50-60% fat, Paleolithic man was about 50% cho

Eaton et al. Paleolithi­c nutrition revisited: A twelve-yea­r retrospect­ive on its nature and implicatio­ns. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (1997) 51, 207±216

"The typical carbohydra­te intake of ancestral humans was similar in magnitude, 45±50% of daily energy, to that in
    current affuent nations, but there was a marked qualitativ­e difference­."
  • Grokette
    Options
    I don't mind defending the lifestyle. I understand why everyone has such a hard time buying into it. It goes against everything you've learned up to this point. The fact of the matter is........that it just simply works. I can't even count how many success stories I've read about people with health problems who have change to a paleo lifestyle and their preexisting conditions seem to fade away and they can get back to enjoying their life again.

Yes, the example you give is me. I am off all medications and my body is healing. Hormone levels are slowly getting back in line and the more my body heals, the more weight I lose!!
  • Grokette
    Options

It is food freedom!!!

i beleive you said your diet is about 50-60% fat, Paleolithic man was about 50% cho

Eaton et al. Paleolithi­c nutrition revisited: A twelve-yea­r retrospect­ive on its nature and implicatio­ns. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (1997) 51, 207±216

"The typical carbohydra­te intake of ancestral humans was similar in magnitude, 45±50% of daily energy, to that in

Yes, my fat intake is anywhere from 50% to 70% of my daily intake. Protein stays between 20-25% and my carbs fluctuates depending on my fat intake for the day.

There is a marked difference when I have a lower fat day or a higher fat day. Lower fat day I get hungry more frequent and often jittery and feel down or off. High fat days I have energy, good moods and rarely have to eat more than once or twice.

I don't know where you got this, but every anthropological and archaeological article I have read or listened to interviews contradicts what you posted above.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

It is food freedom!!!

Yes, my fat intake is anywhere from 50% to 70% of my daily intake. Protein stays between 20-25% and my carbs fluctuates depending on my fat intake for the day.

There is a marked difference when I have a lower fat day or a higher fat day. Lower fat day I get hungry more frequent and often jittery and feel down or off. High fat days I have energy, good moods and rarely have to eat more than once or twice.

I don't know where you got this, but every anthropological and archaeological article I have read or listened to interviews contradicts what you posted above.

here is another from 2010

Konner et al. Paleolithic Nutrition:Twenty-Five Years Later Nutr Clin Pract 2010 25: 594-602

"HG CHO consumption ranged widely, from about 35%-65%,10,13,47 with perhaps 2%-3% from honey."

HG = Hunter Gatherer