How do you get out of your rut?!

Options
We all have had those days where we lose motivation or give in to a craving or skip exercise for whatever reason. I'm in one of those "ruts" - the "I-know-what-I-should-be-doing-but-I'm-still-not-doing-it-what's-wrong-with-me-I-need-motivation-and-support RUTS."

So, I figured I'd come on here and see what kind of motivation/support or advice anyone has one how they handle hard days. What are your tips and tricks?

Replies

• NatalieWiley
    NatalieWiley Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Been half motivated for about a week now. I am trying to just keep in mind that a day here and there will be ok but the 7 days in a row is not OK and that if I keep this up I would be so mad at myself in a year!
  • megamoo04
    Options
    sorry i cant help you!

I am finding myself in the same place that you are :(
  • mariachi
    mariachi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    hi,
    what helps me are 2 things:
    1) use training calendar, plan out your week of exercise, so motivational to check it off each day
    2) if you are into running or cycling, or whatever sport you enjoy, register for an upcoming race! that will definitely motivate you!
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    I am also in a rut right now......trying to remember what it feels like to see progress because this rut keeps the progress from happening. i am upset with myself for eating whatever i wanted the last few days and I can't help it.

remember remember remember..........if you keep it up in the rut, you will be a fatass in no time!
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My motivation is focusing on the inches I'm losing and the way my clothes fit, not the numbers on the scale, the scale is not your friend!! On the days where I'm really feeling like I'm in a funk I crank up the tunes and just try, and then that helps to put me in a good mood, just remember this is a marathon, not a sprint, and all your hard work WILL pay off!
  • socialite1
    Options
    That happened to me right after I got back from vacation. I got completely out of my routine and it was hard to get back into the flow of things. What helped me (and has helped me since then) was to have a "go-to" exercise circuit. Maybe it's a workout video or something you come up with on your own but the key is to make it short (about 20 minutes). I started doing my go-to circuit. I can always easily talk my way into doing this because it's ONLY 20 minutes. After completing it for a couple of days, I can usually get back to my longer, more intense exercises again. Sometimes you just need a little jump start and a few lazy days. This is also a good fall back exercise on super busy days or days when you oversleep. I hope this helps!
  • Kaimana94
    Kaimana94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Only you can motivate yourself. In the end, you have to be happy with yourself! I look in the mirror every day. When I'm happy with what I see I'll slow down.
  • lizzue
    lizzue Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am feeling really low tonight and what got me up and out running is the thought my hard work over the past few weeks would be wiped out.

Mind you even then i walked instead of ran but hey at least i went for a walk :-)
  • gennybunny1
    Options
    I try to take it one day at a time and if it's food related, I try to take it one meal at a time. If I can make a good food decision for one meal, the next one may not be too tough to make a good decision.
    As for exercise, if I don't feel like exercising I try to at least get outside to go for a walk. I find that helps get me back in the healthy living mindset.

Remember to, this is a lifestyle change not a diet. Take your time and it will get eaisier.

Take care and be nice to yourself.
  • twowheelhooligan
    Options
    What is your goal?(don't need to share, just re-ask yourself.) Have that goal be your target and don't let anything get in the way.

I soooo didn't want to swim lastnight, but I knew once i got in the water, it'd be better. then WOW, I went 200yds farther than I did last session, so it turned out to be a good night!!

Do you enjoy eating? Have a meal that sounds good? Earn it through exercise, which is what motivates me!! Kinda like Kung-Fu Panda working to eat a dumpling.(sorry if you haven't watched the movie.)

Do NOT let the rut last too long!! The longer you remain in the rut, the more difficult it will be to dig out of it.

EYES ON THE PRIZE!!! Keep on task, be the soldier that fights out of the hot zone and back to base! YOU CAN DO IT!!!