exercising and soreness?

Options
Quick question...
if you're sore after completing an exercise (abs, arms, back, legs, etc.) is it safe to continue doing it every day, or should you wait?

Replies

• chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    As long as the "soreness" doesn't seem to related to joints then generally keep on going!
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    How sore? Sore like you have used your muscle is good, pain is bad. General rule is that after exercising a particular muscle to exhaustion, rest it a day so that it can repair and build new muscle. Not necessary with abs though. Unless you are really in pain, core/abs work can be done every day. I exercise a LOT, and usually have something sore (left shoulder right now). I try and alternate between whole body work like yoga and aerobics with spin class/elliptical machine. The soreness doesn't stop me unless it actually hurts badly doing every day tasks, but that is just me.
  • whacknasty
    Options
    Well personally I try to only work a specific part/group once a week to prevent over training. Not sure if that's just for muscle building or not though, but seems like it wouldn't be a bad thing.
  • dragonflytwt
    dragonflytwt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If you are REALLY sore, and I mean can't walk cause you're so sore... take a day off. You deserve it, then get back to it!! If you're a little sore and you feel ok to workout go for it! Good luck!
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    If its reaaally sore, I give it a day or two, if its just "normal" sore, then I go on. But I try to have a "rest" day after gym.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    I like to feel sore after working out. Lets me know I'm doing something right. Keep going. It'll fade. Of course if it feels like you pulled a muscle you might wanna relax on those muscles.
  • scv4414
    scv4414 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you are doing a weight lifting routine, it's best to rest 48 hours in between workouts, so doing it every other day is best. In a great book I read, (New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women), they recommend no more than 3 weight workouts a week to give your body proper recovery. However, if you are still sore 2 days from now, don't let that stop you. (There is a difference of course between sore and injured). My routine goes like this: M=weights, T= cardio, W=weights, Th=cardio, F=weights, Sat/Sun= lighter cardio...either a hike or a long slow run.

Hope that helps.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    what kind of work were you doing. for weight training you shouldn't do the same muscle groups every day. for cardio, your fine, but i usually decrease my intensity on day 2 and then ramp back up on day 3.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have always found that working through it helps.

If it's from running, cardio, I do it the next day, even if it's just walking.
    If it's weight training, you don't have to lift the weights again (give muscles break), but you can still move them the next day to get them going. The movement helps. If it's really bad, II will use a little heating pad first the move.

I do Surpeme 90 Day which is like P90X...so I have sore days once in a while. The next day I do another workout (not same area) but that workout always seems to help the muscles I used the day before. Especially post workout stretches....they feel SO good when the muscles are sore!

Think of it this way...if you always stop when you get sore. You will always be sore. If you keep working through it (even if in different way), your body adapts. I get sore now, but not super sore like I did the first few days.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Quick question...
    if you're sore after completing an exercise (abs, arms, back, legs, etc.) is it safe to continue doing it every day, or should you wait?

If it's Muscle soreness (not from a Pull or Tear) then BURN BABY BURN
  • msjamartin
    Options
    If it soreness from strenght/weight training you should not work out the same muscles on back to back days. You muscles need a recovery day so try and alternate between uppers and lower body workouts.

If you are simply sore because you have not been working out and you are doing cardio, then that is normal. Daily workouts will keep the muscles lose and the pain/stiffness will go away. You might want to consider a protein drink before and/or after working out as this helps with muscle recovery as well.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Quick question...

You should not be working the same muscle groups 2 days in a row anyway. Allow a min of 48 hours recovery. So if you workout Monday, don't work those muscle again until at least Wednesday.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Your body gets stronger in the REST time BETWEEN workouts, not while you're exercising.

Exercise is a stress which causes protein breakdown in the body. As a response to this stress, the body begins to repair itself so that it is better able to handle the next round of exercise. This is essentially getting stronger.

Soreness is generally attributed to the muscle breakdown and repair process and can be minimalized with proper post-workout nutrition.

However, if you give your body the time to recover between workouts and REST if you're still sore from the previous workout, you WILL come back stronger and be able to push more, lift more and do more.

Then the cycle repeats itself again.

With exercise, More isn't better....the same as you might take 2 advil for a headache...taking 10 doesn't bring better or faster results.

Listen to your body