Less Caloric Alcohol....

Options
So I know that in losing weight there are things you shouldn't have, beer being one of them. However on the weekends we like to get together with our friends have a few drinks and hang out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on drinks that could take the place of beer??

Thanks.

Replies

• Rosalie20
    Options
    I'm turning 21 on Saturday AND in college so i'm pretty cognoscente of this. Rum and Vodka are about 60-70 calories per shot so if you have that with Diet Coke or Diet Sprite that's not a bad drink. Avoid Baileys, fruity drinks (high in sugary calories), and non-light beer. Good luck! It's just about being careful. Shots are fun but each time you throw back a vodka shot you're putting 60-70 calories in your body in .5 seconds. Life is supposed to be fun and alcohol is often a part of that so just be cautious.
  • lyngoode
    lyngoode Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If you really prefer beer, Budwieser makes a wonderful 55 calorie beer. It actually tastes very good. I love beer
  • ruthie3110
    ruthie3110 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Spirits are usually better.
    Vodka and diet (insert pop/soda of choice) is pretty good.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Bud Select 55. Tastes almost like beer, only 55 calories a bottle :)

Supposed to avoid alcohol? I have heard that too, but there is no point in going on a diet that guarantees failure as soon as I go back to my real life... I don't avoid it, just try my best to limit the calories.

Mix vodka or any clear alcohol with water and mix in a crystal light individual package. My sisters swear by this - WAY less calories than mixing with coke or fruit juice.
  • SmugCanucksGal
    SmugCanucksGal Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I stick with Vodka & Soda with a slice of Lime. 75Cals
    This way its not sweet - like mixing with diet soda, so I don't drink it so quickly. Sometimes I even get a single in a tall glass, so it lasts longer. Those single glasses can be real SMALL, especially when its full of ice!!
  • aab2011
    Options
    The lowest calorie alcohol is bacardi the clear kind, its about 55 per shot. I love the pinnacle whipped vodka I drink that wih the flavored sparkling water its so yummy. The best thing about vodka is it doesn't have any carbs!! I am a carb counter.
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I've recently gotten to be very good friends with a gentleman by the name of Captain Morgan. A shot of that in a Diet Coke and you've got just 60 calories of alcoholic goodness.
  • rachyz88
    rachyz88 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 21 on Saturday AND in college so i'm pretty cognoscente of this. Rum and Vodka are about 60-70 calories per shot so if you have that with Diet Coke or Diet Sprite that's not a bad drink. Avoid Baileys, fruity drinks (high in sugary calories), and non-light beer. Good luck! It's just about being careful. Shots are fun but each time you throw back a vodka shot you're putting 60-70 calories in your body in .5 seconds. Life is supposed to be fun and alcohol is often a part of that so just be cautious.

I couldn't agree more! I love drinkin.......so I try to make better choices. Such as the above :) I pretty much stick to Vodka and any diet soda. To make it more interesting, I use a flavored vodka (Same calorie amount as plain) with a zero sprite. It's delicious!!
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    If you really prefer beer, Budwieser makes a wonderful 55 calorie beer. It actually tastes very good. I love beer

I love this beer as well!
  • Kaimana94
    Kaimana94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hey if you want the beer work it in. You'll have to give up some food. I have a couple of beers at the bar every weekend
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    So I know that in losing weight there are things you shouldn't have, beer being one of them. However on the weekends we like to get together with our friends have a few drinks and hang out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on drinks that could take the place of beer??

Thanks.

Just be careful to do it only for special occasions b/c alcohol turns into sugar and will bring your weightloss to a screaching hault!
  • Brendamp
    Brendamp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...all those things are true, but for me, if I want a thing, I'm going to have that specific thing...or I'll just keep eating/drinking till I feel satisfied. Speckled here and there throughout my food diary are Bombay Sapphire w/ diet tonic, Jose Cuervo Especial w/ cuervo diet margarita mix (O cals in the mix)...and even Mothership Wit @ 155 calories a bottle. Sure, I could drink 3 bottles of beer I don't care for for the same calories, but I'd rather have the beer I like and be careful with other food and add in some exercise. Just something to think about if you are picky.
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I agree! The 55 Calorie beer is actually pretty good!!
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I usually do vodka and seltzer w/ a cherry and lime - but I LOVE my red wine - so I will bust my behind to drink a bottle - yup I said a bottle - the next morning go really hard on the WATER!!!!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Hit the liquor store and start looking. Off the top of my head Bud Select 55 is the lowest cal thing I can think of.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I've recently gotten to be very good friends with a gentleman by the name of Captain Morgan. A shot of that in a Diet Coke and you've got just 60 calories of alcoholic goodness.
    I love him. He's my buddy!
  • LegzyK
    LegzyK Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Good to know! :)
  • LegzyK
    LegzyK Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Good to know! :)

If fact...colder weather is upon us...HOT TOTTIE TIME with CappyM is my fav!!!!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

The Captain is my best friend when I want a drink. He's excellent paired with Diet Coke. Regular Coke is actually too sweet.
  • salomonsk8r2003
    Options
    I LOVE wiskey sours, so I started making them with a tad bit less wiskey and instead of using the traditional mix that is packed with sugar, I got some of the cheap, off brand (great value lol) crystal light stuff. The lemonade type.

Pretty much, after that I bought just about every flavor of 0 calorie crystal light that I could find and have made all sorts of drinks with them. Some people say they cause cancer. I guess if my doctor sees signs of cancer then I will stop lol. Until then, im drinking them every day.