Frustrated...why isn't this working?

Options
Ugh, very frustrated because I am not getting results and feel like I've made some major changes in my diet/health lifestyle....

I used to eat anything I wanted, whenever I wanted, and worked out for about an hour once or twice a week.
NOW, I exercise for an hour every day (mix of walking and running, as I do not go to a gym due to lack of employment) and do strength training with free weights usually 3 times a week....I also use the calorie counter religiously, because I want to be honest with myself (except for last saturday, I wrote down my breakfast then decided to make it a "free" day and relax from counting EVERYTHING that I consume). If I go over calories, so what, I'll just be good the next day.
But I haven't lost anything...I'd think if I started exercising every day and cutting down my calorie intake, I might lose at least 1/2 pound per week...but I got NOTHING!

I am so frustrated!

Replies

• yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    how long have you been at it?
    What do you eat?
    Did you take your mesurements?
    How many calories do you eat?
    Do you eat your exercise calories?
    How much weight do you have to lose?

It is really hard to help you without infos
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    What is your height, starting weight and goal weight? Also, make your food diary public so we can look at what you are eating and help you out!
  • njoithomp
    Options
    Taking your measurements as well will probably allow you to actually see the results in your size, not just in your weight. Sometimes when you are doing resistance training/weight lifting, your body will actually get smaller with no notice in your actual weight. Also, its possible you are not eating enough calories - that will keep you from losing weight. Finally, you may want to increase the amount of weight you are lifting to really get the muscles burning and raise your metabolism. Good luck! Stick to it, you will break the plateau.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    how long have you been at it?
    What do you eat?
    Did you take your mesurements?
    How many calories do you eat?
    Do you eat your exercise calories?
    How much weight do you have to lose?

It is really hard to help you without infos

Answer these, as well as,
    Are you measuring all of your food with a food scale? If not you may be overestimating your intake
    How are you calculating calories burned? If you are not using a HRM you are most likely over estimating
    what is your weekly weight loss goal? Since you only have 35 lbs to go your goal should be set at 1 lb/week, a higher amount is only meant for those with a lot to lose.
  • Pristess
    Pristess Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    No worries. It took a few weeks for my weight and appearance to change. Give your body time to adjust and just keep working at it. You will get results in the end. Periodically, it will seem as if my weight loss has stalled out, then in a few weeks, I will have lost some more. Don’t weigh yourself too much. I weigh myself twice a month.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Don't get frustrated...its ok...just if you need some advice on how to get somethiing moving..lbs or inches off.. please add me.. i don't know if you have your food diary hidden from public..and friend view only..so we can start from there..

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    THROW AWAY THE SCALE! Take pictures and measurements and those will show you what you are really doing. Its not about the weight its about body fat % and how you feel. Scale is just there to piss you off. And remember this cutting back to one OREO instead of 5 OREO's doesnt count.. ITS STILL AN OREO!!! Go clean and cut out the diet/ lean/ lights out of your eating. They only sabotage you. If those companies wanted you to get skinny eating them then they would go out of business.

Also it was 4 months til I lost my first pound.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Conventional wisdom here says if you're not eating enough it can/will stall your weight loss. I've seen quite a few posts confirming that. So my question is, are you eating enough? Perhaps you've cut your calories too far? try adding 100/150 cals a day & see if that breaks it?
  • lanenalatina
    lanenalatina Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I understand exsactly what you going throw, I am on the same boat as you, I did this for few months back in April when I join MFP and lost about 11lbs but when off for about 3 months or for the time the kids are off from school. I just recently decided to do it again and I started about 2 weeks ago and the first week I did good lost my first 2 lbs and now I am stuck b/c I am doing what I am supost to be doing trying to exercise as much as I can and I weight myself this week and the scale is the same it didn't move. I was so frustrated and upset but didn't give up. But I feel that I am never going to reach my goal b/c it isn't happening!!! So good luck and hopetly we will start loosing weight soon!!!

6540321.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • LickyNees
    LickyNees Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Ugh, very frustrated because I am not getting results and feel like I've made some major changes in my diet/health lifestyle....

I used to eat anything I wanted, whenever I wanted, and worked out for about an hour once or twice a week.
    NOW, I exercise for an hour every day (mix of walking and running, as I do not go to a gym due to lack of employment) and do strength training with free weights usually 3 times a week....I also use the calorie counter religiously, because I want to be honest with myself (except for last saturday, I wrote down my breakfast then decided to make it a "free" day and relax from counting EVERYTHING that I consume). If I go over calories, so what, I'll just be good the next day.
    But I haven't lost anything...I'd think if I started exercising every day and cutting down my calorie intake, I might lose at least 1/2 pound per week...but I got NOTHING!

I am so frustrated!

Are you eating at a deficit to your TDEE? Check you're not eating below BMR also.
  • _Corinne_
    _Corinne_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    THROW AWAY THE SCALE! Take pictures and measurements and those will show you what you are really doing. Its not about the weight its about body fat % and how you feel. Scale is just there to piss you off. And remember this cutting back to one OREO instead of 5 OREO's doesnt count.. ITS STILL AN OREO!!! Go clean and cut out the diet/ lean/ lights out of your eating. They only sabotage you. If those companies wanted you to get skinny eating them then they would go out of business.

Also it was 4 months til I lost my first pound.

Thanks - I needed this!
  • fdonhauser
    Options
    Ok I will make my journal public so maybe I can get some feedback...

I'm 5'4, starting weight 170, still at 170, goal is 130 (ultimate goal is 130, first "happy" goal is 150).

FitnessPal has me consuming 1200 calories per day so I can lose 1 pound per week, and when I exercise I do eat those calories back most days...if I don't eat them back, then when I click "Complete food diary" then it tells me I'm not eating enough if I'm under 1200.

A typical day for me is start with a cup of coffee, then walk 2-3 miles and try to run 1 mile on top of that a few times a week (I'm not ready to go beyond 1 mile, I get too winded and tired), then have breakfast...few hours later have lunch..snack on veggies around 3 since thats my "danger" time, and try to eat a healthy dinner with my family. I also try not to eat after dinner, or after 8 pm cuz they say that is really bad for you.

Strength training is various exercises using either and 8 lb kettlebell or 5 lb dumbbells.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at it? Sometimes it can take a little while to see change.

Also, add sodium to the nutrients you're tracking. Keeping sodium low can help you get rid of water weight.

Edited to add: I didn't notice if you were tracking water. Are you drinking up?
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've been in the same situation as you with your same stats. I started the end of June and it's been a huge struggle. I've only lost 10lbs in 3 months despite my best efforts. It's really frusterating and the last few days I've been in tears because of that darn scale. I do take measurements and know that I have lost 10 inches and my clothes do feel a lot better. I do highly recommend getting a tape measurer. 150 is my "happy" weight too but it still seems so far away! I am not much help but just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone!
  • jmg0906
    Options
    Are you drinking water? Or are you just not tracking it? Water is a must!
  • fdonhauser
    Options
    I do drink water, I just never track it for some reason...drinking about 6-10 glasses a day. Used to drink like 6 cans of diet soda a day, and now I'm down to about 3/week, so thats also a major change I have made. When I want a soda/fizzy drink I go for seltzer.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're trying to do the right things with cutting sugars and soda ... maybe you just have to give it time? or try another approach? For sure it takes a long time to undo years of gradual weight gain, and especially frustating if it used to always come off easily.
  • Ifly4free
    Ifly4free Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It took me almost 40 days to see a loss, but my body is finally catching up. I first gained 2 lbs then lost the 2lbs and then weighed in yesterday and lost 3.5 lbs. I was very frustrated but stuck with it. I drink about 3-4 liters a day and started running instead of walking on my treadmill. I think that has really helped to get things moving along.

Good luck!

Tracy