How do I start over without deleting my account

Options
I have started by deleting all of my previous meals so I can start fresh on Monday, January 9, 2023. The only way I could do it is by deleting two months by manually deleting meals each day. Is there an easier way?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm not really seeing the point here, but no...the only way to start from absolute scratch is with a new account...but again, I'm failing to see the "why"
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with cwolfman, why would you want to delete past data? You may want to use those foods in the future.

Just reset your weight and goals in "Goals."

*edit* It occurs to me that maybe you are using that "Complete This Entry" button and you think that it is somehow important - it's not. It's a gimmick. You don't have to "complete" your daily food entries. I mean, you can if you want to, but all that does is give you that gimmicky "In five weeks if you eat exactly the same, you'll be XXX weight." ...and really? You won't and you won't. :lol: It only takes into account two data points: 1.) Today's calorie intake/output and 2.) Your current weight and the Goal you set.

It doesn't know and doesn't care if you're logging all your food and using a digital food scale, whether you are using correct database food items with correct calorie numbers, logging exercise correctly, if you've chosen a reasonable rate of loss for your current weight, and various other things. It's just a "dumb" tool using numbers you chose - whether they're reasonable or accurate or not.

It's a gimmick. All your numbers and data are still saved regardless of whether or not you complete a day. The weight guess is nothing more than a guess with today as its reference (not actually five weeks from today,) just ignore that whole feature.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,537 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    bigdog3000 wrote: »
    I have started by deleting all of my previous meals so I can start fresh on Monday, January 9, 2023. The only way I could do it is by deleting two months by manually deleting meals each day. Is there an easier way?

What are you hoping to achieve by "starting over?" You get to "start over" every single day - even every single time you do or do not put food in your mouth or be active.

You can start over today (9 January 2023) by just starting today's diary. Your body doesn't care what you log in MFP. Your body will respond to the food you eat and your activity. Why not keep track of it. That's the whole point. Over time you will have days you feel successful, and you will have days you feel like you've failed. You haven't failed. You have given yourself more data and more experience to do better every day going forward - every meal going forward.

In a week, a month, or six months, the past week will be so far in the past on your journey that you will pay it no mind. Just keep going forward!
  • Ebonie_owlwehn
    Ebonie_owlwehn Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I did this as I thought 2015 posts were stopping my progress ticker from showing current weight loss. Still does not work. But is good have a clear out. I did delete meals just posts and photos and weight record for that time period.
  • Ebonie_owlwehn
    Ebonie_owlwehn Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say drag post or photo could try doing this with meals recipes? Hold your finger on xxxx Drag to the left their should be a highlighted section in red it will say delete.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I did this as I thought 2015 posts were stopping my progress ticker from showing current weight loss. Still does not work. But is good have a clear out. I did delete meals just posts and photos and weight record for that time period.

Ah, I had wondered about this too! I'm not going to delete my old data, but it is annoying that (apparently) I'm not going to get those little congratulatory notes on my feed until I reach my previous lowest weight. 😝
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,277 Member
    Options
    You can edit your start weight (and date) and goal weight in your goal settings.
  • cmriverside
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    You can edit your start weight (and date) and goal weight in your goal settings.

yeah, editing the start weight and goals should fix the problems in the last few posts...except the ticker, I think they took it away completely. Mine disappeared, and it was working just fine.

• mtaratoot
    Options
    When you get to maintenance, and you will if you STICK TO IT and set your goal to "Maintain current weight," you won't get those tickers.

If I recall, when I was still losing, it would post to my news feed if I, for example, gained two pounds and then lost a half pound. I would be up a 2.5 pounds, but it would still post "mtaratoot lost 0.5 pounds since last weigh in" and the total lost. So that's probably not it. There's a setting in there somewhere to ask MFP to post to your feed. You have to find it and check the box. I'd go find it for you, but I am really lazy.

If that doesn't fix it, you can submit a support ticket, and staff will look into it.

The final option is to just write it in on your own on your newsfeed. I have done that when I bounced up WAY out of maintenance but didn't change my goal in MFP but started to lose again. I really didn't like that it would keep announcing I had lost a fraction of a pound when I actually had gained before losing just a bit.

• pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    If you want to start over on your account do you mean by changing your starting weight and date? You can do that in your settings. I'm not really sure why you would want to delete past meals though.
  • cmriverside
    edited January 2023
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    When you get to maintenance, and you will if you STICK TO IT and set your goal to "Maintain current weight," you won't get those tickers.

If I recall, when I was still losing, it would post to my news feed if I, for example, gained two pounds and then lost a half pound. I would be up a 2.5 pounds, but it would still post "mtaratoot lost 0.5 pounds since last weigh in" and the total lost. So that's probably not it. There's a setting in there somewhere to ask MFP to post to your feed. You have to find it and check the box. I'd go find it for you, but I am really lazy.

If that doesn't fix it, you can submit a support ticket, and staff will look into it.

The final option is to just write it in on your own on your newsfeed. I have done that when I bounced up WAY out of maintenance but didn't change my goal in MFP but started to lose again. I really didn't like that it would keep announcing I had lost a fraction of a pound when I actually had gained before losing just a bit.

I was talking about the weight loss Ticker on the profile page. These things:

screen-shot-2013-03-20-at-9-10-25-am.png?w=584

Automated text-to-newsfeed Notifications can be turned off or on in Settings, from the Home page, here's the link:
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/news-feed-settings
    ^^That is where you can choose whether or not it posts that message, "cmriverside has lost 1.5 pounds," or, "cmriverside has completed the food diary and is under the calorie goal," to your Home Page newsfeed.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @cmriverside

Oh. THAT ticker. Yeah; I tried to set one up, and it never did work right. Cute though.