PCOS - Gluten & Dairy Free

Options
I have been advised to cut gluten and dairy in the hopes of improving my PCOS symptoms. I would intend to slowly reintroduce them back in to my diet. I’d also like to lose weight in the process. Around 50lbs or so.

Does anyone else follow this diet and have any advice, recipes or anything that might help? I’d love a diet buddy to encourage each other x

Replies

• ThePerpetualDieter
    Options
    Hi Simone. I follow a gluten free diet - I haven't been tested for ceoliac disease as I can't put myself through the test as I've been completely off gluten for a long time now. Even cross contamination leaves me in a lot of pain and other issues so I'm either ceoliac or have high gluten intolerance! What type of recipes are you after? I started making roasted chickpea and cauliflower, oh it's fab (in my opinion anyway 😆) i add this to a salad. there's a great youtuber called becky excell, she's gluten free and also has lots of book - I dont have any of them - I have a recipe for a quinoa bread, seed crackers if that's any help
  • ThePerpetualDieter
    Options
    I'll be your buddy if you like 😊 I'm starting off with losing 35 - 40lbs first, 3lbs gone of it this week 😁 Feel free to add me as a friend, I don't know how I can send a friend request.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't eat dairy any more, it's quite straightforward. I don't feel deprived.

Try the different plant milks and find which you prefer, they all taste slightly different. The same applies to the yoghurt alternatives.

These days of I'm at work or at someone's house I just drink tea or coffee black, or have herbal tea, it's easier that way.

Cheese replacements are often more disappointing. I find dairy free cream cheese to be ok, and applewood smoked vegan cheese is by far the nicest if you can find it, (to me anyway, it melts properly)
    Lots of dairy free ice cream available.
  • PCOS_Cyster
    PCOS_Cyster Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I just started changing my diet for PCOS. I am cutting my carbs rather than gluten since I am vegetarian, and vital wheat gluten is a primary source of protein for me. I'm not sure why your provider is telling you to cut out gluten unless you have a sensitivity or celiac disease.

PCOS is more responsive to a reduction in carbs since it is usually caused by insulin resistance. I am limiting my total carbs to 150g, aiming for at least 95g of protein and whatever fat I can add based on my calorie goals.

I would love to see your journey and how cutting gluten and dairy feels for you. You never know; you might like how it makes you feel.

I'm gonna send a friend request now :)
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 912 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I’m also gluten free dairy free. ..

There are a ton of food options that don’t include gluten or dairy. Think about what you are trying to achieve and prioritize.

• herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I’m gluten free and low dairy low carb low calorie intermittent fasting with moderate protein and moderate fat. I’ve lost over 50 pounds so far, I’m about 20 away from goal weight, I reversed my insulin resistance, I’m off the Metformin, my pcos symptoms have subsided, stomach pain gone, it’s amazing, I’m feeling really good most days, inflammation is down, pain levels are down, I’m strict gluten free but I’m still a work in progress 👍 sometimes I eat out to much and I definitely need to focus on getting more exercise.. I log in daily if you need a pal, and my diary is open and honest 😉
    Good luck on your health journey,..
  • simone2605
    simone2605 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments 🥰

I’ve been having almond milk in my coffee and coconut milk in smoothies. I also tried a coconut alternative yogurt that was nice with some fruit.

I’m not too fussy with food, there isn’t much I don’t like so wanted to see some diaries for inspiration of meals as I’m new to cutting these ingredients and don’t want to get bored. If the same meals x
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    The Whole 30 diet is not considered a good diet, but when I had to cut gluten, dairy and sugar, I found the "Whole 30 Cookbook" to find recipes that would be tasty and easy to prepare. It helped me figure out how to use ingredients I'd never tried before. Again: don't follow this diet exclusively. Amongst doctors, it ranked #39 out of #40 popular diets. It's just a helpful cookbook. A balanced approach to MFP will get you the results you want. By the way, do a search for "Flourless Chocolate Cake" if you want a gluten free dessert - yum!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Love generic advice like this because it exposes the obvious general lack of knowledge and it's probably a good idea to then get another opinion or do your own research which would at the very least lead down the road to lowering carbs. imo. Cheers