anyone have any good quinoa recipes?

Options
I think that's how its spelled- I am new to the food and need some ideas for recipes for quinoa- anyone make anything healthy and tasty with it? Thanks!

Replies

• AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Check out the website www.skinnytaste.com. They have a lot of super yummy recipes including a "fried rice" quinoa that is really good.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I like to use it as a stand in for rice with stuffed peppers.
  • amygibson82
    amygibson82 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you like black beans and corn I found an awesome one! Here is the link! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/detail.aspx

It is soooooo good with a little salsa mixed in!
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    We love it cooked according to the directions, with stir fry :)
  • Beachbound81
    Options
    I just sneak it into my rice or oatmeal. I don't care for the taste much. Some say they can't taste it at all. If its the nutrition you are aiming for, and not the taste, just put 1/4 cup into a pot/pan of boiling rice. Or add a tablespoon into your oatmeal.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Kelly's Quinoa Meatballs

Serving: 3oz

Ingredients:

1 pound extra lean ground beef

1 pound extra lean ground turkey

1 cup red, yellow and green bell peppers, chopped

1 medium onion, chopped

4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

4 cups quinoa, cooked according to package directions.

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Mix all ingredients together very well. Roll mixture into balls (I use a 1/8 of a cup measure) and place on a baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minute depending on the size of the ball.

Serve in spaghetti sauce with spaghetti noodles or meatball sandwiches, in brown gravy over rice, or in country gravy over toast or egg noodles. There are endless options. This makes a large batch of meatballs. I usually freeze ¾ of them in meal size freezer bags for use later.

Nutrition Information:

Calories: 205 Carbs: 22 Fat: 5 gr. Protein: 19 gr. Sugar: 1 gr. Fiber: 3 gr.
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    I don't have any recipes but saw it at the store and was curious as to what it tastes like I want to try it. I've read good things about the nutrition.
  • Becca308
    Becca308 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I made this for a pot luck yesterday, and it vanished so quickly!

http://www.20minutesupperclub.com/recipe/moroccan-quinoa-salad/

So so so so gooooooood. :-)
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    **bump**
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    Great recipe Kelly can't wait to try them was meaning to make meatball sandwiches anyway. On the way to the store>
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I don't have any recipes but saw it at the store and was curious as to what it tastes like I want to try it. I've read good things about the nutrition.

by itself it tastes like nothing... maybe air. It is a good filler or thickener. Or spiced and served like couscous
  • kristithielman
    Options
    2 cups broth (chicken, veggie, etc...your choice)
    1 cup quinoa
    Any veggies you like

I sauteed green onion, garlic and red pepper first
    Then add the quinoa and brown (about 5 mins)
    Add broth and bring to a boil
    Reduce to simmer, cover and cook about 20 mins (just to where liquid is absorbed)
    Add spices (I used thyme, rosemary and some salt), stir and serve!

Delicious!
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about trying to run it through my food processor and usnig it in place of some of the flour in some recipes - like bread, etc.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    did some stuffed peppers with it...i cooked about a cup of quinoa, black beans, made a spicy tomato sauce, a LITTLE bit of ground beef, and gouda cheese and stuffed them with that. it was OSOOOOO good. you can just add it into things you make. salads.....oatmeals......smoothies even....toast it and cook with eggs, spinach, onion and tomato....
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    bump