Getting started

Options
Just wanting to get started. I have a lot to lose how is the best way to get started?

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Put your stats in to MFP set to lose 1-2 pounds a week and eat the calories MFP gives you.

If you weigh and measure all your foods accurately, log them in your diary and stick to the goal then you will lose weight.
  • aholman4
    aholman4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does the calories given by MFP calculate calorie deficit?
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    don't go crazy when you start, go gradually. You need to eat the way you want to eat once you reach your goal weight. If you start eating salad and protein bar as 90% of the time, I doubt you'll continue that for the rest of your life, same thing it you are a massive pasta/bread fan right now, cutting it out of your life for 6 months is not a long term solution.
    Learn how portion control, fit what you enjoy eating in your calorie goal.
    Measure correctly, I would strongly suggest a food scale. It is tedious, but at least for the first few weeks/months, it's the best thing that will help you learn portion control
    Pay attention on how you feel. Days where you are hungry all the time, did you eat less carbs, less protein, less fat? Try to find a trend, that how you'll learn what works the best for you.
  • Kelley0519
    Kelley0519 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Have a long term goal, but don't allow it to be your everyday focus because it will seem overwhelming. Focus on each day as it comes....eat healthier and move more!
  • brenn35
    brenn35 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Had to delete my account and start over, would love to have some retirement friends, please friend me.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!

What goals have you set for yourself this time around? What strategies are you going to use to assure you stick to it and achieve them?
  • LaurenG1219
    LaurenG1219 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Start small like other said. Make sure you set small goals you can achieve quickly to reinforce the new behaviors.