What to do after bad eating day?

Options
I think I ate over 2500 calories yesterday but my target was only 1300. I feel very stuffy this morning, I had green tea now

I started lifting weights this week so I started eating high protein diet.

I have to go gym today to do Arms and chest. Should I ditch my protein intake today? Should I do full fast? I had over 130g protein yesterday from the bad food I ate pizza/wings..

Maybe that protein will be converted for today ?

Pls let me know what I should do today whether fast or something else

Thanks

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,938 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Don't sweat it, your not going to get all swole, and yes continue to eat as normal. No, the protein yesterday was for yesterday. You probably ate 700 extra calories which will more than likely make no difference today let alone on a longer time line. Cheers
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,290 Member
    Options
    womanlady wrote: »
    I think I ate over 2500 calories yesterday but my target was only 1300.

<snip>

Pls let me know what I should do today whether fast or something else

Today you should do exactly what you PLANNED to do yesterday and the day before. Eat to your calorie budget. You had one bad day. It is now in the past. Do all you can to prevent a repeat. Just move forward. That's all you can have. The only thing you have is today; in reality all you have is right now this moment. You can only make choices and decisions for NOW, not yesterday, not tomorrow.

This won't be the last time you falter and stumble. Always just get back up, dust off, and move forward. Try to learn from the error. What caused it? What can you do going forward to minimize a repeat?

• womanlady
    womanlady Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone

I will continue with my regular routine today
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    In the long run it won’t matter just don’t make a habit of it. Your weekly numbers will suffer however this is a marathon and not a sprint.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,529 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Personally, I keep my protein the same on days after, especially if they are the day of or day after a weights workout. You still need it, and it keeps you satiated. However, I can safely lower my total calories somewhat from the regular plan since I still feel full enough next day after a binge, especially in the first half of the day. I try to make up that calorie surplus over the next multiple days or week, not all in a day or two. And if I can't, no big deal, try to do better next week.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,265 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I'd only eat less the next day if I felt less hungry (prioritizing protein, but not freaking out if it's a little under usual), otherwise I'm also in camp "go back to normal routine", including regular calories if that's where appetite lands. One rare day is a drop in the ocean.

P.S. Yes to thinking about why it happened, and whether it felt worthwhile to you or not. If it doesn't seem worthwhile retrospectively, I'd spend no more than about 10 minutes considering how to adjust my plans going forward to minimize the chance of repeats. That adjustment could be anything from profound (resetting weight loss rate to less restrictive calories, say) to minor (planning to pick from a restaurant's online menu before getting to the place, say).

I've eaten 5000-6000 calories or more occasionally, when my maintenance calories are around 2000-2200 before exercise. There tends to be a big scale jump the next day - extra food waste in my system, water retention from metabolizing/balancing extra carbs or salt - then it slowly drops back over the next week or so to about where I was before the overage . . . as long as it's rare. IME, it's that extra 100-200 calories over maintenance every day, or equivalent via a so-called cheat meal once a week, that are the real deal-breakers. YMMV.

ETA "case study": https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10603949/big-overfeed-ruins-everything-nope/p1
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I average out my calories for the week. Yesterday I went WAY over my daily, but I had planned for it and am still exactly on target for the week.

Dont let one day over calorie budget ruin your goal. It's not a failure, and it'll happen again. And that's OK! Take the next 6 days or so a little under calories and you'll average out.

If you know you have something coming up where you might want to indulge, you can "bank" some extra calories by eating a little less for the week leading up to it. That doesn't mean starve one day, binge the next. Six days of 100 calories under gives you 600 extra calories on day 7.