Weight loss not moving

Options
Keeping my intake at 1500 calories dropped 11 lbs in 2 weeks but not seeing no weight loss movement in a week im 5ft 11in started at 279lbs any suggestions thanks

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    11lbs in 2 weeks is a really quick loss and was likely not entirely fat loss. Many people experience a quick drop at first and then are discouraged when it slows down.

1500 calories/day is pretty low for a person of your height - how did you get to that as a goal?

It's often better to observe the trend over 4-6 weeks to gauge whether or not you have a good plan to stick with. One week doesn't tell you much, especially if you only weigh once (some people weigh daily to observe water fluctuations, which can be pretty substantial).
  • gemzgarciae
    gemzgarciae Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mostly water weight like previous posts says you lose the most at the start then weight lost goes slow. I have experience the same which I know can be frustrating but think about the changes your making in life that can be sustainable in the long term. It’s a marathon not a sprint.
  • gemzgarciae
    Options
    Weight loss is never a straight journey, it’s a cliche but true. There is peaks & valleys!!!
  • gemzgarciae
    Options
    If it was easy it would be boring.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Is it the type of food you are eating? Is it carb-heavy, is it salty, or sugary?
  • jgarr2021r
    jgarr2021r Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to bulk up, my intake is 4000 calories, any recommendations
  • noodlesno
    noodlesno Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Plateau are frustrating but happen. A week is not a long time and I would definitely give it more time. To repeat what everyone has said here. Weight loss is not linear. You will have days where you go up, which could increase salt or water retention. It is definitely worth sometimes looking at the bigger picture. Although I do agree with the other posters some of the 11lbs will be water...you still have done 11lbs in 3 weeks. That is amazing and you should be proud. If you are in a plateau for more than 3 weeks then that's when you may need to address your kcal etc but till then just wait it out.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,512 Member
    Options
    avenger31 wrote: »
    Keeping my intake at 1500 calories dropped 11 lbs in 2 weeks but not seeing no weight loss movement in a week im 5ft 11in started at 279lbs any suggestions thanks

So you lost 11lbs in 3 weeks. That's an excellent result! Considering this website considers a maximum of 2lbs loss per week safe (for very heavy people) you've lost a lot more than you should have. So why complain?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, you're actually losing a little faster than recommend. Peaks and valleys happen and a weight trending app like Happy Scale (iphone) or Libra (Android) can help us deal with that.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • Patrice525
    Patrice525 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    I am experiencing the same thing my scale is not moving!!! If it does it fluctuates up and down, I’m sure getting frustrated!! I am 5’6” and my starting weight was 306, I am eating 1800 calories a day as recommended by this app, it the scale just goes up and down I either weigh 296.1 or 298.7. What’s up with that??? I started eating this healthy way the end of December, ( I had a mild stroke, wake up call)!!!!
    I try to eat a fruit, protein, veggies, dairy and a starch at each meal, I am 62 years young, any suggestions would be helpful and thank you all who read this and make suggestions, you are all much appreciated 😊
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Patrice525 wrote: »
    Hello everyone!
    I am experiencing the same thing my scale is not moving!!! If it does it fluctuates up and down, I’m sure getting frustrated!! I am 5’6” and my starting weight was 306, I am eating 1800 calories a day as recommended by this app, it the scale just goes up and down I either weigh 296.1 or 298.7. What’s up with that??? I started eating this healthy way the end of December, ( I had a mild stroke, wake up call)!!!!
    I try to eat a fruit, protein, veggies, dairy and a starch at each meal, I am 62 years young, any suggestions would be helpful and thank you all who read this and make suggestions, you are all much appreciated 😊

At your weight there are going to be big weight swings due to a lot of different factors. Just keep eating within your Goals, it WILL come off.

Here's a great thread about weight fluctuations and what causes it. There is an article linked in the first post:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683010/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-fluctuations/p1
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,512 Member
    Options
    Patrice525 wrote: »
    Hello everyone!

So you lost, what? about 7-10lbs in probably less than 3 weeks? I think you might be expecting a bit too much. You're well on track here, and even losing a bit faster than expected. Also, what the others said: at your weight large weight swings are to be expected, due to water weight mainly. And water weight is not fat. Water happens and is part of a normal, healthy body. Also, timing of bowel movements play a role as well. You want to lose the fat, not water, not poop (well, it happens anyway). And yeah, water weight and intestinal filling variations can mask fat loss. At my weight I hardly ever see variations of 2lbs, but at your weight those can be quite substantial. So please relax and trust the process :) A weight trending app, like Happy Scale or Libra might also be an option because then you can see the trend over time and don't get stuck on single measurements.