How to Jazz Up Sunny Side Up Eggs?

Options
I'm thinking of making sunny side up eggs for breakfast. What is your favourite way to eat sunny side up eggs?

What seasoning or sauces do you use? What healthy sides do you make to go with it? I was thinking sauteed spinach, or sweet potato hashbrowns.

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I often eat eggs with liberal doses of ground black pepper, hot sauce, or salsa. I often mix in leftover greens or other veggies. This is more for scrambled.

Sunny side up or over easy eggs get eaten with toast, so I have something to soak up that amazing runny yolk with. 😋
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I like my sunny side up eggs with Herbs de Provençe … I especially like them with crunchy baked brussel sprouts or a mini side of smoked salmon and avocado.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I usually just add some picante sauce. Sometimes I'll put the egg on a single slice of bread/toast and eat it as an open faced sandwich.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Try a middle eastern preparation called shakshouka. I make this frequently and it's low carb.

Here's an easy one and looks pretty authentic.
    https://themediterraneandish.com/shakshuka-recipe/
  • SusanMcMc
    SusanMcMc Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    On a bed of spinach with a heathy dash of chipotle powder on top.
  • MurderMysteryGal
    MurderMysteryGal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    1. I season with turmeric, smidge of black salt, (I put it on everything) on a slice of Dave’s Killer Bread. Protein shake or yogurt.
    2. On a warm tortilla with turmeric, salsa, cheese, bacon and hot sauce. Protein shake or yogurt.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Try a middle eastern preparation called shakshouka. I make this frequently and it's low carb.

All my cooking newsletters have sent me a recipe for Shakshuka :lol:

If you cook it for one, what size pan do you use?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of making sunny side up eggs for breakfast. What is your favourite way to eat sunny side up eggs?

What seasoning or sauces do you use? What healthy sides do you make to go with it? I was thinking sauteed spinach, or sweet potato hashbrowns.

Sunny side up eggs with sautéed spinach AND sweet potato hashbrowns sounds really good!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

All my cooking newsletters have sent me a recipe for Shakshuka :lol:

If you cook it for one, what size pan do you use?

Probably an 8" pan should work. Normally I use french carbon steel for most egg dishes, but with tomatoes I generally avoid that and found a non stick works well.
  • siberiantarragon
    siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I don't like to put any seasonings on them. I think the eggs themselves are flavorful enough. I have them with either sauteed vegetables (mushrooms, peppers, and tomato) or fresh fruit (usually berries or stone fruit) and buttered toast or toaster waffles. There's a brunch place we go to sometimes that has this thing called "Israeli breakfast" that comes with two sunny side up eggs, grilled halloumi cheese, labne, pita, mini pickles, and salad (mixed greens, tomato, and some vinegar-based dressing). It's really good so you could try making something similar (you could probably substitute fresh mozzarella for halloumi and Greek yogurt for labne if you can't find those).
  • MFPbuttoni
    MFPbuttoni Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You might like this creation. I haven't made them recently, as I really prefer scrambled eggs. But these are really tasty: https://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/08/16/peek-a-boo-smoked-eggs/
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I tend to think of a fried or poached egg as seasoning for something else, not something to be seasoned (other than with salt and pepper). So the egg yolk makes a lovely runny, warm sauce on my waffles, grits, salad, etc.