Starting back after doing fad diets

Options
I’m tracking calories, drinking 64 ounces of water, and exercising to start for 30 mins daily. I’m keeping it simple. Hoping to lose 30 by summer. I’m 43 & praying these fad diets didn’t ruin me. I can’t follow something that has tons of rules or restrictions… I like fail miserably so I’m trying this. Here I go!!

Replies

• CurvyEmmy
    CurvyEmmy Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hi! I’m 5’5” and 270 pounds. I’m also trying to drink more water but I still drink mostly soda. It’s really hard to change but we gotta try to stay motivated!! :)
  • Singrgal19
    Singrgal19 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @CurvyEmmy you can do this!!!!
  • CurvyEmmy
    CurvyEmmy Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Singrgal19 wrote: »
    @CurvyEmmy you can do this!!!!

Thanks!! I messaged you :)
  • Ellevated
    Ellevated Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I’m tracking calories, drinking 64 ounces of water, and exercising to start for 30 mins daily. I’m keeping it simple. Hoping to lose 30 by summer. I’m 43 & praying these fad diets didn’t ruin me. I can’t follow something that has tons of rules or restrictions… I like fail miserably so I’m trying this. Here I go!!

You're not ruined! Fad diets can cause problems but more helpful eating habits can turn it around!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,430 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Make sure to log faithfully and as accurately as you can.

One thing I found very eye opening, after calculating my calorie goal, I calculated what might have been a typical day before I began.

My typical day started with a grocery store run before work to pick up three cinnamon twists, a loaf of white mountain bread, a family sized bag of M&Ms, and a box of little Debbie’s or some Geneva cookies. Popeyes for lunch. Two apple pies, mind you. Stop by the grocery store on the way home to sneak some candy bars home, pick up dinner makings, and a key lime pie, carrot cake, or gallon of ice cream- all of which would be mostly finished before bedtime. I might leave a spoonful or two in the carton in case my husband mistook me for a complete glutton, ya know?

I did yoga. I walked three miles a couple of times a week with a friend. I couldn’t understand why I was putting on weight.

🤦🏻‍♀️

I was staggered to realize I was eating 10,000+ calories a day.

Well, duh.

Once I got a fitness tracker and saw the dry, painful numbers of the “cost” of those calories versus what I “earned” exercising, things shifted into focus for me.

I am still amazed that, after nearly six decades of life on this planet, I literally knew so little (and cared so little, for so long) about my body, it’s needs, and how to best care for it. It is still a thing of wonder (and right now, much amusement, but that’s a post on another thread).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options

Hi there,
    as others have said, fad diets don't cause any long-term problems. You're good there. You don't write how heavy you are at the moment. 30lbs is probably possible, or maybe a bit too high based on your starting weight. We're mid January now, and lets say goal at beginning of July. That's about 24 weeks, or 1.25lbs per week. Pretty much in the middle of the weightloss goals MFP gives. So you have a lot of time left to lose weight and learn healthy eating habits. Cool!