Question to cyclists (road:))- choice of a bike

Options
Hi everyone. I'm shopping for a new bike. I currently ride Cannondale, sa that brand was my main candidate. I love my bike that much! So i test rode some, and I'm a bit torn with the funal decision. One is Cannondale supersix evo carbon disk 105, and another one is pinarello prince disk ultegra. I was so pleased with Cannondale until i rode Pinarello... I'm absolutely in love with that bike. Problem is, my LBS doesn't have my size in stock and they can't get it for another year or so. Apparently, still issues with demand and still shortage of production. They do, however have Supersix, which they're bringing from different shop from nearby town. After some serious shopping, i found pinarello (in a different country ) in a size that supposed to fit me. Now dilemma, which one do i go with? I love my LBS, I don't want to mess things up with them, they know me well enough. Since they're bringing in bike for me, i feel that it's a sure way route to go. But Pinarello, man...i just can't get it out of my head. It's gorgeous, and such fun bike. But i have concerns about it, seller has many good reviews, good rating, but there's no pictures of it except basic side photo. I asked for it's serial number on the advice from my bike shop, and manager said he would run it for me to make sure it's not fake. But seller hasn't provided it yet. I mean, it's a weekend, but that concerns me. He said "tomorrow ", the day's over and i haven't heard from him. So there's that. I would prefer to get it locally, it's just not an option. I haven't really gone to any other bike shops, since i like this one and use them often for repairs and maintenance. It feels like cheating, kind of, is that stupid? I don't want them to black list me, lol. I know i would be back to their awesome mechanic, so what do i do? And i need some advice on actual bikes, does anyone have experience with either one, opinions? They're both 2022. And i know both are good bikes. Pinarello has electronic shifting, which i didn't really want originally. Cannondale doesn't. So please, if you have any knowledge, input on my dilemma, respond! I'm all ears! Thanks

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I admire your loyalty to your LBS but it also sounds like getting the Cannondale will be settling.

Unless you're one of those lucky people with a bottomless bank account you're going to have a relationship with the bike for quite a few years so I'm pretty sure you don't want anything but the Pinarello. Could you wait for it to come in? Are you desperate for the new bike (ie your old bike died)?

If you really can't wait for the Pinarello to come in I'm pretty sure that your LBS will understand and I doubt they'd blacklist you (presumably they'll still be doing tuneups etc for you).

I can sympathize with your dilemma, my 10+ year old Giant Defy is getting close to needing replacement (it was entry level that's been upgraded to 105) and the price of Ultegra equipped bikes has come down but they're in short supply....
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Thanks @BrianSharpe , no, not desperate. But don't want to wait a year. My bike got badly damaged in the latest accident when I got hit by a car, so i don't have that as I'm awaiting repairs.
    Getting a second bike. I feel like that too, that I'm settling. But still, that Cannondale is a nice bike. Idk. Person that hit me is paying for my new bike, he promised me " my dream bike". So looking for it.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,327 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    We had a similar dilemma 2 years ago. Hubby loved the Domane he rode when we were visiting a friend (it's not Pinarello but stay with me). Our LBS is a Specialized/Cannondale dealer. He tried the Specialized bikes, but just didn't love them. Cannondale's were out of stock. Our 2nd not so local LBS deals in TREK (I have a Madone and I get mine serviced there for anything big), but they couldn't get the bike for a year. He needed a new bike and didn't want to wait so he searched online for what he wanted. We ended up traveling to a location about 3 hours away that had the bike in his size and purchasing it.

We still use our LBS for most purchases (bought both of my kids nice bikes there) and routine service, and the not so LBS for bigger service jobs. No black listing or back lash. He would not have been happy with the Specialized Diverge.

I vote for not settling, assuming the Pinarello is legit.
  • Rich_SC
    Rich_SC Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I would shop around. Ride some Trek and Specialized bikes in your price range. There's also Canyon for direct to consumer and they have great deals and are great bikes. They also have a 30 day no hassle return policy. I would get a Canyon over a Cannondale. If you go with the Pinarello make sure the warranty is valid for a mail order bike and the shop is an authorized seller. Personally I think the markup for the name "Pinarello" is not worth it, these are stupid expensive. So many other good bikes out there.

I've ridden electronic Di2 on my road/gravel bikes for many years and as the saying goes "I'll never go back...". Perfect shifts every time, zero adjustment, no cable issues. I like the Shimano over the Sram because the battery lasts way longer so I only have to charge it 4-5 times per year. Although Sram with no wires is a super clean and easy install. I have Sram AXS electronic on my mountain bike and it's amazing too but I have to keep an eye on the battery level. Not a huge deal breaker though.

Another option is to get a bike that can do road and gravel (eg can handle tires up to 35mm or so). This opens up a lot of terrain. Gravel riding is really fun and car free. My main road bike is a carbon cross bike that I have both a road and a gravel wheelset and just swap them out as needed.

Good luck...
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for help and encouragement. I did shop around, test rode different bikes. I tried Trek Emonda and really liked it. And still it was a close runner up after Pinarello. Trek had rival groupset, sram, wireless. Was very tempting. Plus it's here locally. Ended up finding Pinarello online and ordering it. Not electronic, but Ultegra. So I'm happy with that. And it's my size. Hopefully legit. Tried to check on Pinarello website that SN, but it's such a maze, couldn't get it done. So fingers crossed, worse case i will get my money back if i can't register it and there's an issue with it being what it's supposed ro be.