Cravings

Options
Okay, so I just thought I would throw this out there. Lately ALL I want to eat is bread and meat. I'll try and eat something else that doesn't include those things, but I'll end up still "starving" and having a sandwich (my favorite!) anyway. I work out 3 -4 times a week. last week I worked out about 6. I've been burning a lot of calores (like for instance I burned a little over 2500 on a 6 mile hike i just did). Am I just hungry because of my workouts? Or, is it my head telling my body it wants carbs and meat? I'm talking any meat here.. chicken, red meat WHATEVER. i knowwww im not preggers so that's not it. I'm just really trying to figure out if this is my head or if my body is trying to tell me I'm not eating enough. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I would say your hungry because of the workouts.. and that you need to eat! If your body wants meat and bread.. then give it meat and bread.

With 2500 calories burned, you need to be eating a good chunk of those back.. not all of them, but at least some of them.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    First of all well done on your hikes.

Sounds like you have a lot of exercise cals that you can eat back...so why not meat and bread?
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    2500 calories is more than I eat in a day! You need to eat most of those back I'd think. If you feel hungry and you're working hard, then it's just regular hunger. Your body needs fuel. I don't know exactly why you're craving bread, but meat makes sense. Protein helps build and repair muscle and gives you energy. Bread does the same but differently. Maybe try eating some grains (barley, lentils) or legumes (beans) with some protein instead of straight up bread.
  • 6Pk2Go
    6Pk2Go Posts: 105
    Options
    I'd question the 2500 calories burned on a 6 mile hike. I can do a 1/2 day 4000 ft elevation gain and I'll burn 900. However, if you are wearing a heart rate monitor and you know for sure that it's calibrated appropriately then great.

As for the meat and bread....if you are eating whole grains or sprouted breads and lean protein then I don't see a problem so long as you are also getting in some fruits and veggies.

A guy I work with eats 2 sandwiches every day. 1 at lunch and 1 on his way to the gym. He is in excellent physical shape but he doesn't miss a day at the gym.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

Sounds like you have a lot of exercise cals that you can eat back...so why not meat and bread?

It feels like a lot of carbs to me and I usually try to avoid red meat when i can. but i can only cook so much chicken lolll. idk maybe it's because I've been having a sandwich for breakfast lunch and dinner thats worrying me LOL. too much of a good thing you know?
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Remember to take a multivitamin a day. It reduces cravings. Yes you are hungry because your body needs food.
  • jbrown78
    jbrown78 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If I am craving something I eat it and log it in the diary. I find that if I try to ignore the cravings I eat twice as much and my choices are ususally worse than what I really want to eat.
  • dp1228
    Options
    I'd question the 2500 calories burned on a 6 mile hike. I can do a 1/2 day 4000 ft elevation gain and I'll burn 900. However, if you are wearing a heart rate monitor and you know for sure that it's calibrated appropriately then great.

As for the meat and bread....if you are eating whole grains or sprouted breads and lean protein then I don't see a problem so long as you are also getting in some fruits and veggies.

A guy I work with eats 2 sandwiches every day. 1 at lunch and 1 on his way to the gym. He is in excellent physical shape but he doesn't miss a day at the gym.

Yup I was wearing my polar ft4 hrm. i was curious to see how many cals i could burn off. i had just set it to my correct weight and made sure everything else was good so i think its correctly calibrated.it seems reasonable though we were hiking up and down steep rocky inclines for the better part of 4 hours. my heart rate would be up at 190 which is where it usually is when im working my absolute hardest. and im still overweight so I can still burn a good amount of calories. or at least more then someone who is smaller then me. i think thats how it works loll.

right now its a lot of whole wheat. ive been eating it since i was young so its always automatically in the house haha. maybe ill try switching to whole grain then! 2 sandwiches a day would be fine but sometimes ill eat another one.. or there will be a bread basket... you catch my drift. bread seems to be everywhere i look!!!
  • dp1228
    Options

thanks! im new to hiking and i love it! and i dont usually work out that much thats why im worried that im still so hungry! ive only worked out once so far this week. the fact that i feel like im overeating on my rest days is worrying me. ill be working out two more times before the week is over but it doesnt feel like it will be balanced out.
  • dp1228
    Options
    I would say your hungry because of the workouts.. and that you need to eat! If your body wants meat and bread.. then give it meat and bread.

With 2500 calories burned, you need to be eating a good chunk of those back.. not all of them, but at least some of them.

hmm it seems like the consensus is that i should listen to my body. i do usually eat a good amount back. i definitely ate back a good amount of my hiking calories trust me lol. thanks!
  • dp1228
    Options
    Remember to take a multivitamin a day. It reduces cravings. Yes you are hungry because your body needs food.

me and multivitamens arent so chummy. last time i tried to take them (without my doctors supervision of course smh) i started getting dizzy spells and came close to fainting a number of times. sooooo im a tad scared of vitamens now lol
  • mermx
    Options
    Hun, you have lost 57lbs...major achievement whoo hoo x

You are doing so well. There is going to be a point when you carrying on eating the meat and bread. So why not work it into your plan now? I know you say you are eating sandwiches already, but if they are your favourite thing...then why should you miss out???

Log them in your diary and keep on working on :-)

With you losing 57lbs and me losing 15lbs I feel like I`m `teaching my granny to suck eggs` lol!

You are doing great but if you are burning all those cals on your hikes then have a sandwich x
  • mermx
    Options
    PS...vitamins won`t give you dizzy spells...lack of food will!

You can buy a supplement of anything from a to z from the supermarket
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't take any pill without food.I have thrown up when I took multivitamin on empty stomach.Vitamins and minerals are very important when dieting and exercising. They give energy too.
  • dp1228
    Options
    PS...vitamins won`t give you dizzy spells...lack of food will!

You can buy a supplement of anything from a to z from the supermarket

haha thank you so much! i think i'll carry on with my sandwiches but just tweak what i use to make sure its as healthy as possible. right now theres too much sodium int he meats im using and the bread should probably be whole grain. and idk why but i really do think it was the vitamens!! as SOON as ii started taking them i started to get dizzy! i hadnt changed my diet or anything at the time and that was the only new thing i was trying! I stopped taking them and the dizziness stopped. I started taking them again at a later time bc i thought maybe i was crazy and the dizziness started AGAIN! i think i just need a doctor to give me something haha
  • dp1228
    Options
    You shouldn't take any pill without food.I have thrown up when I took multivitamin on empty stomach.Vitamins and minerals are very important when dieting and exercising. They give energy too.

i didnt always take it with a meal so maybe taht was it. Thanks!
  • ohnuts14
    Options

900? Lol. I burn 900 from a 1.5 hour power walk around the park. When I went hiking I burnt like 3 days worth of calories lol. You have to realize, the more you weigh the more you burn. I can do the same activity for the same amount of time as a friend who I frequently work out with, but she's also less than half my weight, and I burn more than twice the amount she does, everytime.

I agree, as long as you're being semi-cautious as to what kinds of carbs you're eating and so on and so forth, I really do believe the body has cravings for a good reason, particularly when you're craving something this much, and this frequently.