Type 2 Diabetes

Options
I am a super picky eater and looking for food suggestions. My go to is chicken and green beans.

Replies

• g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Since having any type of illness is a motivator for changing lifestyles and ways of eating, we are already making changes in our diet! Hoorah! It may be easier than you think to begin changing your palate, too. Introduce new foods one at a time. Try to make a goal of 'eating the rainbow' over the course of a week to start, then work on seeing how many different veg and fruit you can add on a daily basis. As a diabetic, your 'easy' choices will be the leafy veg
    (spinach, lettuce, cabbage-also celery, rhubarb, mustard) and things like summer (crookneck or yellow) squash, zucchini, eggplant, cauliflower, mushrooms, green beans You are looking for things with low glycemic index. You can include things like the root veg-sweet potato, beets- and winter squashes, but they are higher in glycemic index, so eat these but less of them and less often. Generally, they have more fiber and nutrients which mean they are a better choice than white potatoes, corn, and peas. Print a list of glycemic loads of different veg and choose those with lower loads more often.

There are even several different varieties of green beans to try! Go to local farmers markets, or ethnic markets-like Indian, Hispanic, Asian- if you have them, and explore! There is a group on here that talks about veg I have never heard of! I make it an adventure to seek out new things to try. My palate is 'adventurous', but you will be surprised at how quickly yours will expand as you try new things. For me, I work better off of positive motivation than negative, so I try not to think of what I didn't eat/do correctly, but of what I did right/how far I've come. Maybe keeping a list on the fridge of veggies with low glycemic load by color and check them off when you have tried one?

For me, I like trying new things as simply dressed/seasoned as possible. It is healthier, and gives me a better idea of how that food tastes. Then I can decide what other flavors might make it tastier next go-around. Some foods are better and better for you raw, and others need to be cooked to help us get best use of their nutrients. Experiment with new foods, new recipes, and new places to find foods.You might be surprised! I have been surprised twice-1). durian fruit is stinky, but tastes like a mix of onion and sweet potato to me (and I'd rather have onions and sweet potato, but still want to try it fresh off tree if I get a chance). 2) Bitter Melon. Tried it first time-very bitter. It was in a small fresh side salad of onion, cucumber, and tomato. I ate it mainly because my host was Asian and I did not want to hurt her feelings, and because it is supposed to help get glucose where it should be. I have found myself wanting this several times after because it was quite refreshing.

Wishing you luck on your new adventure!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    Maybe it would be a good idea to let people know what you won't eat.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think the way to go is to try really hard to be less picky. Take the foods you already like that work for your needs and try slightly different methods of preparing them to start, or try new foods that are similar but just a little bit different from what you already eat. Give yourself several times to try something before you decide not to try it again. The "eat the rainbow" advice above is a good idea to work up to.

I grew up eating food prepared by a very picky person and it was seriously to my detriment. I've made up a lot of lost ground as an adult and am working on my kids now to prevent pickiness (with varying success, I'll admit that some of it definitely seems to be a temperament thing not just environment). But pickiness can be a really serious hindrance when it comes to health if your "yes" list is very short and your "no" list is very long. So I'd start by working on getting your "yes" list to be longer! :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    My favorite cooking advice I've ever received was, "Don't be afraid to experiment."

Sometimes processing/preparation makes a big difference. For example, I'd be called a picky eater if the only vegetables I were offered came out of a can. But I eat tons of fresh veggies, and some frozen.

Some people here swear by roasting non-starchy vegetables like broccoli. I've tried this several times and it just doesn't work for me. Not for green beans either. But I eat both of them steamed all the time.

Acid, fat, and salt can transform a dish. My library carries "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking" - maybe yours does too.

I used to enjoy watching Rachel Ray's cooking show. These days I am finding inspiration from Ethan Cheblowski on YouTube. You could find a show or channel dedicated to diabetic friendly cooking. If your library system is like mine, it has dozens of diabetic cookbooks.

Enjoy the experimentation!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My favorite cooking advice I've ever received was, "Don't be afraid to experiment."

Sometimes processing/preparation makes a big difference. For example, I'd be called a picky eater if the only vegetables I were offered came out of a can. But I eat tons of fresh veggies, and some frozen.

Some people here swear by roasting non-starchy vegetables like broccoli. I've tried this several times and it just doesn't work for me. Not for green beans either. But I eat both of them steamed all the time.

Acid, fat, and salt can transform a dish. My library carries "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking" - maybe yours does too.

I used to enjoy watching Rachel Ray's cooking show. These days I am finding inspiration from Ethan Cheblowski on YouTube. You could find a show or channel dedicated to diabetic friendly cooking. If your library system is like mine, it has dozens of diabetic cookbooks.

Enjoy the experimentation!

Great advice for a picky eater. cheers.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Speaking of Ethan Cheblowski, this was in his latest newsletter:

Reader Q&A

Q: Do you have any tips for picky eaters looking to expand their horizons? I am averse to things like vinegar, mayo, and avocado, generally. I understand these are great ingredients and I wish I could find ways to like them. Any suggestions? — Dylan Flear

A: This is an awesome question, Dylan. The channel and newsletter are all about broadening culinary horizons and inspiring people to try new foods or experiment with new recipes.

For foods that you aren’t keen on yet, but want to be, think about what role they play in a dish and then try pairing them in small amounts with complementary foods. For example, vinegar is used to bring acid and balance to dishes. Use it in small amounts in a homemade salad dressing, for example, and slowly increase the acidity of the condiments you explore. If a recipe calls for a squeeze of lemon juice, try adding a splash of rice vinegar instead and see if you notice.

As for mayo, try making a ranch (which is often up to 50% mayo) and using that as a condiment. Or make a homemade caesar dressing, which is basically a mayo emulsion, but it doesn’t taste like plain mayo at all. Check out making sriracha mayo or a dijonnaise — there’s no pressure to like plain mayo at first.

Similarly, avocado is also used in many dishes as a creamy textural component – maybe try blending it into a tomatillo salsa to make a creamy sauce. If you like the flavor you can graduate up to guacamole, and then use slices as a creamy topping on tacos or hidden in a burrito.

TLDR: Start small, and work your way up, and we bet you’ll start to appreciate the qualities of some of these ingredients, usually for the texture or flavor balance that they bring. You also don’t have to love every ingredient: the key is understanding the role of an ingredient in a dish and then making an appropriate substitution.