I'm new here (kinda)! Looking for new friends!

So I was here before the shutdown in March 2020. Had lost weight, was feeling really good, and then...the pandemic happened, I got Covid before the vaccines, lost taste/smell and when it came back (thankful it did), it was all messed up. The only things that tasted good to me were bread, sugar, salty/fat.

Gained 40 pounds.

Got a hip replacement a year ago.

Am now in the process of losing that weight again, motivated by absolutely horrific cholesterol numbers and development of hypertension.

Measured my waist this morning...42 inches. 42. Inches.

Posting here because I need to reach out and realize I'm not alone. I hope to walk on this path with people, 'cause alone ain't no good!!!

CW: 235.4
Goal: 200 (for now, we'll see how I feel when I get there)

Replies

• workin_onit
    workin_onit Posts: 102 Member
    Okay I'm bumping this up...hoping someone replies to me! :smile:
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    COVID got us all one way or another. I was almost goal weight then got laid off. Figuring out how to keep afloat was more important than counting calories. Then I just got lazy and didn't return. Now I'm back to the beginning.

No point in dwelling on the failure. It happened. Time to focus on moving forward.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,966 Member
    @workin_onit

You're not alone. There's lots of folks here working on improving fitness and managing weight.

It looks like you've got a good first goal - 35 to 40 pounds to lose. Have you thought about the rate you're hoping to lose? No more than 1% of your body weight per week is smart. Go slow to go fast.

What strategies are you putting into place to get to that initial goal? What mini-goals that are difficult but achievable and are measurable have you set for yourself along the way to that forty pounds?

@scoutmom1981

Getting laid off must have been a real challenge. It's unfortunate you weren't able to stay a little focused on weight management while you were going through the process of getting re-employed. Now you're here! What goals are you setting for yourself now that you're back? How are you going to assure success in meeting those goals?

COVID did suck.
  • Millejon6567
    Millejon6567 Posts: 3 Member
    I need Some Friends A lot I just joined this Morning
  • workin_onit
    Hey there, thanks for replies!

@scoutmom1981
    Let's get it done together! If there's something I'm well-versed in, it's beginning again. And yes, today is a new day.

@mtaratoot
    Agreed re weight loss rate. Any "faster" and I get to a point and food storms happen. That said, 1% of 235 isn't a whole lot per week, I'm on track.

As for a plan, that does exist, in spades. My doctor has hooked me up with a program the hospital sponsors. It also has a community feature but since I've been on MFP in the past, I'm more comfortable here.

As a result, I may not log every meal here, it's a lot of logging to do two programs.

Mini goals include things like eating leafy greens every day, continuing to exercise at least 3x a week.I've been exercising at this level-with trainer and on my own-for 8 years now. At least I've been very consistent with that!

I'm also trying to understand the role of sleep in all this...I'm sure it's related.

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

@Millejon6567 I'll add you as a friend! Welcome....

• mtaratoot
    I'll share a little "secret." Well, it's advance notice. We'll send this out to the general community soon. We decided to wait a couple weeks this year because it's a lot of work adding new people who don't stick around that long.

But y'all are here almost three weeks in to the new year. By this point, almost half of people who have made new-years resolutions have quit. YOU HAVE NOT! YOU ARE STICKING TO IT!!!

5ipq2iplkpvd.jpg

So, here's the secret. If you're looking for a group of supportive people, and if you're up for some fun ongoing challenges and usually a special fun weekly challenge, consider joining our group. You can find us as "Lose 1 Pound a Week and Keep it Off!" Click on that link or the full URL below, then find the little "join" button. Someone should approve your request in a day or so; usually less. Then all you have to do is set some quarterly goals and you're in. After that, to stay active, all you have to do is post your weekly weigh-in. If you'll be gone for a while, let the group leaders know; they'll put you on "shore leave" so you won't become inactive. If you are inactive, just weigh in to become active again.

All the other challenges are purely voluntary. Only do the ones you want to do, and stop any time. The group has been going since 2016. It's quite friendly.

See you there?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/129605-lose-1-pound-a-week-and-keep-it-off-2023

:smile:
  • workin_onit
    @mtaratoot

I just tried to join this group and I'm not sure my message actually went...?

I think it's a great idea and I'm in! (If I could just get in...)

:smiley:
  • mtaratoot
    @workin_onit

You have been approved. Head on over and introduce yourself, then set your goals on the spreadsheet.
  • workin_onit
    @mtaratoot

Thanks! In process...see you there.
  • robg19822020
    robg19822020 Posts: 15 Member
    :)