Lost 30+ lbs, figured out why I'm at a plateu, and had a non-scale victory!

Options
Daeygur
Daeygur Posts: 39 Member
May 31, 2022, I weighed 390 lbs and I decided that enough was enough. I couldn't fit in the bathtub, (TMI) couldn't wipe my own butt, and couldn't even get out of bed without help. Walking around and shopping was impossible. I was actually wanting to just give up then and there.

Well, since May 31 2022 to August 18 2022 I lost 30+ pounds from just cutting down my portions. If I bought KFC I'd eat half of what I usually did, wait for twenty minutes before I wanted another, and then afterwards it was shocking how I didn't want another plate at all! Unfortunately, since August my weight has fluctuated on the scale. I keep going from 360 to 352 to 357 then back down to 352.

I haven't counted calories at all during my first 30+. I've been cutting portions in half and eating more greens with my food. I gave up fast food (it tastes like poo now that I cook at home), and barely crave sweets. Unfortunately, I didn't know why I kept maintaining my weight despite my healthier habits.

Well...today I tracked my calories, and it turns out that even though at 390 pounds I was eating at a deficit...but at 352 I'm eating Maintenace calories. That boggles my mind. So, now I'm incorporating calorie counting into my lifestyle change because...wow that's kinda eye opening.

Anyways, I did have two non-scale victory today. I did a kickboxing workout, and for the first time it felt like I was back in Middle School playing sports. I was an athletic kid, and looooved sports so much but unfortunately, I had terrible coaches that took my love of sports into a self-deprecating why-am-I-even-bothering mindset.

Now that I'm an adult it's been hard finding a workout that I can stick too. Mostly, cause I hate working out. I hate walking on treadmills, doing weight lifting, and zumba classes but when it comes to sports I do a 180. Kickboxing gave me that adrenaline, that love back, and now I'm more than excited to wake up tomorrow and do another session. Granted it was only for 5 minutes (my legs are very weak from being out of shape for 10+ years), but I enjoyed the heck out of it.

Now, my second non-scale victory.

I have a shirt that I've worn for years. At 390 lbs it barely fit past my middle. I couldn't even put it over my butt. Well, today I put it on and...I'm going to have to throw it away!!!! It literally falls down my arms! If I wear it to bed then I wake up half naked because that's how big it is now! I didn't think I was losing weight because the scale wasn't moving (plus I was eating at maintenance), but the fact that my shirt barely fits me anymore is mind blowing!

So, I wanted to share a bit of my success on here. I'm very excited to keep on going!
Tagged:

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I also applaud you. Congratulations on making changes. Keep making them and you will get to goal. It's probably time to log your food, at least for awhile. Exercising is not necessary for weight loss, but as mentioned above, will be good for your health--especially as you age. Many people walk to start, but it's important that you do something you like and will stick to. Consistency and persistence are your friends.

Wishing you the best of luck and hoping to hear a new success story in the future.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Great stuff. I'm pleased that you have decided to start this journey for yourself. I'm also pleased that when your weight started to fluctuate that you did not give up; that is something that may well happen numerous times as you lose more weight.

Also finding exercise that you enjoy is really half the battle. You'll always be more motivated to do stuff you like over stuff you don't like.

You've made a lot of healthy choices so far. Great work
  • nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You're an athlete~ KEEP TELLING YOURSELF THAT! Talk to yourself as the person you know you are inside underneath the depression, the extra pounds, the emotions--I am SO happy for you!!!!! Let your future self be your guide.
  • Daeygur
    Options
    nay0m3 wrote: »
    You're an athlete~ KEEP TELLING YOURSELF THAT! Talk to yourself as the person you know you are inside underneath the depression, the extra pounds, the emotions--I am SO happy for you!!!!! Let your future self be your guide.

Thank you so much!!!!! I definitely will!!!! :)))
  • lacylucy1935
    lacylucy1935 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Good for you, keep going and even if you trip up we are al human. Just get right back on and in no time you will see that you CAN and WILL do this!

I love FP, it showed me where my calories are going and that I was no getting enough protein...good luck!
  • atrgemini
    atrgemini Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've been on a 220 plateau for a minute now so I feel your pain friend. 30 pounds is amazing work. Keep at it and count the calories - it works.

I used to log my exercises as well, so I had more realistic information about what I could eat for the day. I've since learned it's much better to just set the value and leave it alone - meaning, even if you exercise, don't give yourself the extra calories back. I assure you - this will help you break your stall.

Cheers and keep up the good work!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing is a fun sport and a fun workout. Awesome for you :)
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing is cool - those are also some great NSVs! Figuring out what was going on, then implementing a solution, is ANOTHER NSV.

I'd like to gently argue with something you said though. Your legs are NOT weak. I'd like to see a 150 pound weight lifter doing a kickboxing workout with 200 pounds of plates in a weight vest- they would find it hard too. Your legs are actually doing pretty well and you are stronger than you think!

It's wonderful you are finding ways to engage your passion and have fun. :smile:
  • carekey56
    carekey56 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are truly an inspiration to many!

I am 67 and after many years of on and off dieting and trying to get more healthy, I have finally started down my health journey and found a "diet" that I can live with. And I mean just that, I plan to stay on this program as a way of life. I started in July 2022 but didn't get my new way of eating adjusted for me until September and it is working for me. I have lost 25 lbs now and my doctor no longer categorizes me as Diabetic.

My aging body restricts me from doing a lot of exercises. I walk as much as I can and wear a FitBit to try to get a decent amount of steps in each day. I also have a motion strider which is similar to a Cubie. It helps to keep the hips and legs mobile and also helps to gain strength. I recently purchased a stretchy band system and I anchored one at the end of my computer desk so when I get up to do something, I stop and do a few arm and shoulder exercises. Every little bit helps.

Best of luck in your health journey! Know that you are not alone! We all have our struggles and we learn ways to adjust to get us where we want to be! Do whatever it takes to make it work for you!
  • Daeygur
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I haven't been active lately because I've been feeling real bad lately, turns out (tmi) that my period started for the first time in years! So, that's exciting!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!