are all calories equal?

Options
is a calorie a calorie whether it comes from a celery stick, an apple or a ho ho? If I stick to my calories and I would like something I m having a craving for...say chocolate or whatever, is it all the same in the end if the numbers work out?

Replies

• Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    is a calorie a calorie whether it comes from a celery stick, an apple or a ho ho? If I stick to my calories and I would like something I m having a craving for...say chocolate or whatever, is it all the same in the end if the numbers work out?
    I personally would say yes. As long as you stay in your calorie goal you should still lose weight.
    Though I would prefer to eat the healthy calories rather then the junk calories.
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I personally would say yes. As long as you stay in your calorie goal you should still lose weight.
    Though I would prefer to eat the healthy calories rather then the junk calories.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options

I do NOT deny myself chocolate (within reason), but I do deny myself super high sodium cravings. Or at least only have a teeny bit. While the calories may be the same no matter, the high sodium can cause water retention which can make my scale go up. I abhor my scale moving in the wrong direction!!
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    NO NO NO my friend. All calories are not created equal. There's lot of articles on Google about this. :bigsmile:
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    The simple answer is yes.
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I've heard natural calories make the body work harder to process than processed foods, so you get a better, more effective burn on fruits/veggies than on a twinkie or a burger.

Also, it seems like you get a majority of your protein intake from natural foods vs. processed, so you fill full faster and longer.

These are things I've heard, but can't personally attest to. The things I've heard may cause nausea, vomiting, headaches, early childhood problems, and possibly death. If symptoms continue, please consult a doctor before continuing to adhere to things I've heard.
  • carolineroo
    carolineroo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    in the beginning yes its all okay long as you stick to your goal. When you get nearer your final weight it gets harder and the platteaux are harder to bust through and it is then that the content of the calories becomes and issue. Thats just my experience 40lb later.............................
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    There was a test done.3 women had to eat the exact amount of calories 1200 calories a day for 1 month.One of them ate only fats,one only proteins and one only carbs.The one that ate only fats lost the most weight,the one who ate only protein lost a bit less and the one that ate only carbs gained weight at 1200 calories!!!!
    Source;The four hour body.A book I am reading these days.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Sure...a calorie is a measurement of energy, therefore a calorie is a calorie. If that's all you're interested in, then go ahead. But just remember that not all calories have the same fat/sodium/sugar content as one another...you might want to consider tracking those things too.
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I don't know all of the specifics, but everything that I have heard says no.

Reason...it takes more energy to burn a protein calorie than it does to burn a simple carb calorie, so your body acutally uses more calories to burn proteins and, therefore, you don't have as much to store as fat. Also, some foods process down and cause bloating and water retention. So, even though it doesn't cause real weight gain, it does make you appear and feel heavier.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    It depends on if you want to be healthy or just skinny.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Strictly speaking, a calorie is a unit of measure. A pound of feathers does weigh the same as a pound of lead. There is a problem, though. While a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead, guess which one is going to hit the ground first? It kind of depends on a lot other factors: structure, friction, etc.

Not all sources of calories interact with the body in the same way. It's highly personal and based on a number of factors.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    If your goal is simply to lose weight, yes.

That is my goal. I don't eat clean. Most of mines come from meat/potatoes/"treats", and its working for me.

The nearer you get to your goal weight, the more factors that come into play.
  • HMonsterX
    Options

While a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead, guess which one is going to hit the ground first?

In a vacuum, neither. :P
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna say ya. Ultimately its calories in vs calories out.

That applies to fat loss only ^^

If you have other goals, you might wanna start digging into macros.

Protein, fats, and other nutirents can help with muscle gain, repair..and other types of foods can help with appetite or help your body in other ways. Glycemic Index comes into play around her, specially for diabetics.

If you're hardcore, you can pick apart stuff and work towards a variety of other goals, based on the vitamins and nutrients in a food.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

While a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead, guess which one is going to hit the ground first?

When the human body starts being a vacuum, let me know. The space between Sarah Palin's ears doesn't count.
  • Colli78
    Colli78 Posts: 135
    Options
    A calorie is actually a unit of measurement, so theoretically, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, regardless of whether it is from a piece of celery or a piece of chocolate.

The trick is this though. Let's say you have a high powered performance car. What would you rather put in the tank, unleaded or premium fuel?

Obviously, you want to fill your body with nutrient dense foods because they are better for you and will satisfy you more than junk food. Having said that, if you are craving something (a ho-ho, cheeseburger, chocolate, chips, etc) by all means, EAT IT! Just document it and allow for those calories in your daily intake. If you ignore the craving, you will munch and graze trying to satisfy that craving. In the end, you will actually eat more, calorie wise, than you would have had you just given in to what you wanted.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    When it comes to weight loss, YES - ever herd of the Twinky diet? Lose weight eating nothing but snack cakes as long as you eat less than your daily goal i.e. 1200-1500. It works but your organs will NOT thank you so that is not recommended.
  • HMonsterX
    Options

When the human body starts being a vacuum, let me know. The space between Sarah Palin's ears doesn't count.

Aww....you sure?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

For weight loss, yes.