The time is now! Today is the day I've decided to live healthier.

Options
I gave up on myself when Covid hit! When I think back now, it really was just an excuse to eat what I want.
My entire life was a struggle with weight, lot's of ups and downs. When I was younger weight was easy to take off and now I'm in my 40's with 3 kids later and it's a huge struggle! My weight isn't coming off as easy and my willpower is yet to be found!
I have a 3 year old boy who is the most pickiest eater, and I have 2 girls ages 9 and 11 and they are my cheerleaders and will eat what I eat and are joining me on this journey to lead a healthier lifestyle.
I've decided to do this because I feel and look awful, and want to see my kids grow up. I also worry that someday I'll have a heartattack or stroke. I already have sleep apnea which is because of my weight, and i'm prediabetic, also because of my weight. My energy levels are at an all time low, and I struggle to do the activities I used to love to do, like hiking.
I set goals for myself this year, and this is one of them.
I love the outdoors, rain or shine, I miss hiking and simply just walking. So, my personal goal is to exercise/walk/ simply just move for 60 minutes 3 X a week.
Wish me luck! Sorry for the long read.
It's time to make time for myself, right?

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community!

I'm not going to wish you luck because it's not about luck. It's about developing good habits that you can start now and keep doing the rest of your life.

I also love to hike! Walking and hiking are great ways to improve physical fitness. Alone, without also managing how much you eat, it is unlikely to get you to a weight loss goal. For that you need to be in a caloric deficit, ideally one that's not too big so you can keep it up. You've come to the right place for that; MFP is a great tool to manage your calorie intake and how much you burn with things like hiking.

How are you going to assure you stay in a caloric deficit, at least when averaged over each week, and how big of a deficit do you think is appropriate in your situation?
  • cynthiacherie79
    cynthiacherie79 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been measuring and weighing everything I eat and I use all the tools on this site to record them.
    I'm on 1343 calories, that's after I put my info in and fitness pal calculated what my calories should be. That was a huge shock, lol. I've never been on such a low calorie intake, but I guess after 40 you get less I guess.
    I'm doing OK so far, today was a little struggle but I'm recording everything daily to help problem solve.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    @cynthiacherie79

How fast did you tell MFP you wanted to lose weight? If you are willing to take a slower approach, you may be able to add calories to your budget.

MFP goes in chunks of half pounds per week. If you told MFP you wanted to lose, say, one pound a week, why not go back and see how many calories you'd get at a half pound a week. Then, if you really want, split the difference and enter your goal manually. Best of both worlds. You'll be working at an intermediate loss rate, and you still get at least a little more in your budget.