Cardio everyday?

Options
I have only been eating right and exercising (again) since the first of the Sept. I have lost just over 8lbs (yeah me). I told myself that today would be a skip day. I havent had one since I started. It is late afternoon and I am starting to feel guilty for not doing anything. Should I do some form of cardio everyday?

Replies

• EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    you havent had a day of rest from exercise since sept 1st?
  • daniellevoge
    Options
    good job on the weight loss!
  • breezey77
    breezey77 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I asked a trainer that question once and his reply was, "You eat everday, don't you?" I would say if you feel like doing a little walking, a few squats and pushups...if you feel like doing something then do it. But I don't know that there is a rule.
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    As often as you can. I try for some every day. On lifting days maybe only 30 minutes. On pure cardio days maybe 90 minutes.
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I take 1 day of rest per week. I think you need to let your muscles unwind and recover. Still, you can go for a nice walk, you don't have to stay all day in bed.
  • kellybug123
    Options
    As often as you can. I try for some every day. On lifting days maybe only 30 minutes. On pure cardio days maybe 90 minutes.

I agree with what she said :)
  • tywiseman
    Options
    As far as "Workouts" go...I think a cardio workout everyday is too demanding and you may lose steam. But if you move everyday, say a casual 20-30 min walk to "Enjoy the Scenery" will keep that guilt at bay and keep you motivated. I am doing Couch 2 5k and only do it every other day as you need a day to recover and heal.
  • littlepint
    Options
    My understanding is if you cardio 3-4 times a week and strengthining 2-3 times that should be good. If you think it might make you feel better doing cardio today then do some maybe 20 min. instead of 30. :flowerforyou:
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You do need a rest day. I take one day off from exercising.
  • Tradermoe
    Options
    I think you need to take it easy or you will burn out by the end of the month. just do real cardio 4 times a week and the stuff like skipping 3 times a week.

but for 'real' cardio you should force yourself to run or walk ( i dont know your health) 4 times a week. but rememember to lift weights
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I believe that while you can switch the intensity (sometimes I run, other days I walk, for example), you should be okay to do 'cardio' everyday but feel free to do something else (read a book, watch a movie, clean the house) and NOT feel guilty over it.

Great job with the weight loss, by the way! Yay, YOU!
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Off days are important for recovery. On the other hand, if you just feel like being active, a nice 'stroll in the park' is something to do without really pushing yourself when you workout. Plus, if you want to - why not?
  • Bugsyzgrl
    Bugsyzgrl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do some sort of cardio everyday myself. I am not a runner, but I do a brisk walk on the treadmill, or a group class like Zumba. I do alternate my weight routines, legs one day, arms the next and some days none at all.

I agree your muscles need some time to recover and you shouldn't over do it... My theory is just do what feels right for you. Push till it feels right. :-)

Great Job on your loss thus far! Keep up the good work.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, one day off a week shouldn't affect your weight loss. But I think really depends on your lifestyle when it comes to overall fitness. It's not good to sit all day, so if you have a desk job and tend to sit at home when not working out, then it would be good to do something, but it doesn't have to be prolonged or hardcore. Just some type of movement for 10-15 min a couple of times would do it..
  • mopovich
    mopovich Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I take one rest day every week or I will burnout . That doesn't mean I sit and eat bon-bons on my rest day. I still try to go for a walk with my daughter, play outside with her, etc. It's just low-intensity. ;)
  • breezey77
    breezey77 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    And of course, you've been doing great with the weight loss!:smile:
  • tmorse7
    Options
    Excellent weight loss! I do Cardio 6 days a week, and strength training 3-4 times a week. I always take 1 day where I don't do either, not that I'm sedentary on those days but I don't focus on it, I may walk to my daughter's school to pick her up in the afternoon, or go for a stroll with my hubby after dinner. Washing my truck is always a good activity for my "rest" days! But remember to listen to your body. I know it's not easy, especially for someone like me who was obese most of my life. I have lost over 80 lbs total over the past couple of years and I know that I have so much more energy than before. Keep your momentum going but remember that you do need time to let your muscles recover!
    Terri
  • amberl10
    amberl10 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You don't need to work out every single day. I would at least try for 1 rest day a week. I try to work out 5-6 days a week and of those 5-6 days I usually try to do at least 5 days with at least some cardio.