Lasik Eye Surgery ?

Options
SMarie10
SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
So, it's that time of year again where we figure out how much money to put into our Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for next years unreimbursed medical expenses. I'm contemplating Lasik Eye Surgery, but made the mistake of reading some bad outcome stories.

Would like to hear from those that have had it whether it was worth the cost, and would you do it again?

Replies

• DJmom44
    Options
    I had it done 4-5 years ago and have no regrets. The recovery time was only 1 day. I do have to say that it was a little bit freaky during the procedure because the room was completely dark except for the light from equipment above my head. I'm not normally claustrophobic, but it was a little unsettling...even though they gave me valium a while before they started.

I will eventually need to get reading glasses, but that would have happened whether I had lasik or not. I'm happy with my results.
  • targotoff
    targotoff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had it done over eight years ago and have to say it was one of the best investments I have ever made. my husband says it totally changed me. Just being able to see the alarm clocknin the morning was the best. I didn't want to do it when you had to have both eyes done at the same time, but when it was changed to only one eye at a time I went for it. Just in case something went wrong I figured I would always have one eye ;)
    I just had my yearly check up and still have better than 20/20 vision. I was told I would need reading glasses too eventually but I think that is just what happens when you get older. I also was able to claim the cost on my taxes for the year as a medical expense.
    Good Luck :)
  • NoWeighJose74
    NoWeighJose74 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I had LASIK done in Dec. of 07, and am COMPLETELY happy with the results. Went from about 20/600 vision to better than 20/20.

I DID have a little complication during the after care though. Not intended to scare you away, but during aftercare, I was prescribed a steriod based eyedrop. Turns out I had a reaction to it, as after a week or so, my vision began to blur. I mentioned it to my local optometrist that was providing the aftercare, and he didn't recognize that the pressures in my eye were increasing, so he prescribed that I take the drops MORE often.

Well, about a week later, I had to leave work early because everything was hazy white and blurry. We ended up going to the on-call optometrist in Phoenix on Christmas Day, and when he was doing the eye pressure check, he said "Excuse me a moment" and left the room. Not something I wanted to hear. :laugh:

He ended up getting a different instrument to measure my eye pressure, and he said that it was off the charts or something to that effect. Turns out I am "Steroid responder", meaning I was having a reaction to the steroid based eyedrops. A few days after no longer taking them, all was better.

Would I do it again though? DEFINITELY. Minus the complications of course. :tongue:
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Have a buddy that had it done about 7 years ago. He doesn't regret it, but he's a fire fighter, and in the last year he's started having the issue with the light halos, so he can't drive the station truck at night anymore due to the halo effect. He also tries to avoid driving at night at all. He's gone in 2 more times to have it corrected, and it's still an issue for him at this point.

I was going to get it done, but I'm -12.5 in one eye and 10.5 in the other, so I'm not a candidate for full 20/20, although I could get a partial done. For now, I'll just keep trucking along with my rigid gas perm contacts.
  • livnlite
    Options
    There is no corrective proceedure or surgery that doesn't ocme without risks. It's a personal descision, after weighing the risks and the benefits.

The reviews you need to hear should pertain to the surgeon that would be performing your surgery as opposed to an open consesus about results in general. The better reviews on the surgeon the better your chances of a successful outcome.

In any event .. best of luck!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I had it done to both eyes 15 years ago. My vision at that time was -10 in each eye. I went into surgery with a very positive attitude, and came out seeing clearly and in total wonder....it was awesome. It was only last year that my right eye has a bit of a prescription, which is to be expected as I'm almost 47 years old, lol. It was cool watching them do surgery on my own eyes....it's like seeing moons when they do it. When I had it done, there was this other woman there...totally hysterical and crying like she was being forced to have her head amputated......it was unreal. lol
  • pffssas
    pffssas Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    had it. lifetime "fix" if i need it purchased also. no regrets!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I had it done in 2005. Best money I ever spent. No complications at all. Someday I will need reading glasses, but so will most people.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Did mine 5 years ago and I love it. I work for an optometry office, so I used the surgeon they refer to the most and had an excellent experience. The best advice I have is to get it done by a very reputable surgeon with the latest technology. You don't want a "bargain" place doing your eye surgery!!!!! I was NOT a perfect candidate due to several things with my eyes, but I am corrected to about 20/60 now and see awesome with a small correction for my still-near-sighted eyes. The best thing is, I won't need reading glasses until after I'm 50 instead of the "normal" 40ish!!! It's great, I would do it again in a minute... and the drug they give you to calm you down is amazing.... I did it with a friend/co-worker and we giggled all afternoon!!!! Too funny!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Totally worth it!!!! When I wore glasses during workouts, the sweat actually ate away the paint on my frames. Now that I don't have to wear them except for driving, it's been the best. I got it done 2 years ago and should have had it done 10 years before that.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I just bought my first pair of cheaters, so I figure it must be time to look into eye surgery for my near sightedness, and I will definitely go to a surgeon with a good reputation.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I had the laser eye surgery 13 years ago, and still have near-perfect vision (20/20 day, 20/30 night). The procedure itself was a bit unnerving, but it's over in a matter of minutes. I'm very happy that I had it done.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I had Lasik around 6 years ago, and so did my mom. It was simple and painless. And I would totally do it again. To be able to wake up and see is amazing. Also, I don't know if this is the norm, but I get lifetime adjustments, if needed. So far, haven't needed one. My mom does have to wear reading glasses. I don't know how things have changed, but when we had it done we were told that we would still have to wear reading glasses as we aged. The one down side I have, and I've actually never asked my mom about this, is that my night vision is worse - it's more sensitive. I know that can be a side effect for some. I have always been particularly sensitive to light, though - sunlight and florescent lighting can give me a migraine - so I don't know if mine is worse than another person's might be. Since I rarely drive at night, it's not really a problem, but it is still a downside.
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I also work for an optometry office, and every patient I've had who has had it has loved it. Absolutely loved it. Even the people who don't get fully corrected love it. I'm contemplating it myself!