The Mirena coil

Options
One for the ladies! I am on month 2 of the Mirena coil and gaining weight. I know it to be water weight as I’ve religiously tracked all my calories and nothing has changed. If you have also experienced this (it is a listed side effect sadly), how long did it take to settle?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you gained? If it has continued to go up over 2 months, it is unlikely to be water weight. Water weight is usually rather sudden and fluctuates up and down. How many calories are you eating?
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Sounds tricky, I hate things like that. I have the copper coil so if you don't find it settles down then maybe it's an option.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    One for the ladies! I am on month 2 of the Mirena coil and gaining weight. I know it to be water weight as I’ve religiously tracked all my calories and nothing has changed. If you have also experienced this (it is a listed side effect sadly), how long did it take to settle?

Are you using a weight trending app and does it show your weight has continued to go up over two months? If so, I doubt it's solely water weight from the Mirena, but check with your doctor.

Have you also added new exercise recently? That can also be a source of water weight, as can stress and a number of other things.

Although you said you track religiously, I would still like to take a look at your food log. Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,444 Member
    Options
    And another source of more water weight: are you eating differently, mainly more carbs than usual? Because carbohydrates are stored as glycogen, which bind water. Or more salty? Yeah, in both cases it's just water and will settle eventually. Thus nothing to worry about.
  • RuthBennett80
    RuthBennett80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. No my weight hasn’t gone up over two months in fact the first month of the coil it went down, but then these last 3-4 weeks it’s gone up really suddenly by about 2kg (a lot for me) and I just can’t shift it. I haven’t changed anything at all diet wise. Training I am running more as I’m training for the London marathon. But I run marathons all the time so again not new. Thanks for all the advice.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. No my weight hasn’t gone up over two months in fact the first month of the coil it went down, but then these last 3-4 weeks it’s gone up really suddenly by about 2kg (a lot for me) and I just can’t shift it. I haven’t changed anything at all diet wise. Training I am running more as I’m training for the London marathon. But I run marathons all the time so again not new. Thanks for all the advice.

The training could easily explain several pounds water retention. Just keep an eye on it at this point. Doubt it's the Mirena, more likely the training.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I’ve had Mirena for years and never had weight gain related to it. I’ve lost while having it and gained but it’s always been in relation to my eating habits. Because you lost in the first month it’s probably unlikely to be due to the Mirena.