How do I measure food?

Options
If I have one slice of cheese is it considered one ounce, one gram or 100 calories? I'm confused on weight measuring food.

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Grams and ounces are units of measure not quantities themselves. Grams is typically more accurate. Just place the cheese on the scale, note the numbers on the screen. Find an accurate database entry, enter the number of grams and it will tell you how many calories are in the slice of cheese.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Do you have a kitchen food scale? Or, do you have the nutrition label from that package of cheese you got the slice from? Or, did you cut it from a bar of cheese? ... and if so, how big of a slice did you make it? ... It wouldn't be calories in any case, because that is not the weight of the food, it's the food value in energy.

PS ... grams and ounces are weights. ... 28 (rounded) grams is equal to one ounce.
  • busymom4u
    busymom4u Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    OK I measured 1oz. of cheese on my scale. Exactly 3 slices from a brick equals 28 grams. Thanks! I know what I can have based on this. It's just difficult initially to picture what I've been eating.
  • 3rdtimelosesit
    3rdtimelosesit Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    busymom4u wrote: »
    OK I measured 1oz. of cheese on my scale. Exactly 3 slices from a brick equals 28 grams. Thanks! I know what I can have based on this. It's just difficult initially to picture what I've been eating.

This would only work if your slices were exactly the same. That will be difficult to achieve if you are hand cutting from a large cheese block. I always weight mine after I cut it. My scale is easily changeable from oz to gr or kg. It's digital and work like a charm. I don't trust myself as my slices vary from thick on one end to skinny on the other and other slices are fatter...lol

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!