Apple Watch question

Options
I've read multiple posts here about how to link the Apple Watch to MFP to track steps. I am having difficulty doing this.

Is it true that the email address used for Apple and the one for MFP must match in order for this linking to work? I use different emails.
Tagged:

Replies

• scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I only use my apple watch to track steps for mfp. I use a go between app, Pacer. Pacer works with my apple data and then I have it linked to MFP. Never had any problems. If you want more than just steps linked then this probably won't help you.
  • Tashanicole444
    Tashanicole444 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Crazy I walked 10000 steps and get 40 bonus calories lol
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,332 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    How did you determine that 10,000 steps got you 40 calories?

I don't use apple watch, but I've read here there are some issues with how it syncs and how you have to do that. Maybe it's a sync issue.

Here's another idea: When you did your set-up to get your calorie goal, what activity level did you select? It might be that if you selected a very active base, that it expects you to do a bunch of steps or some other activity to get to normal/zero adjustment. Ten thousand steps is close to five miles. A mile should earn you closer to 100 calories, so five miles shouldn't just earn you 40.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,586 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

I don't use apple watch, but I've read here there are some issues with how it syncs and how you have to do that. Maybe it's a sync issue.

Here's another idea: When you did your set-up to get your calorie goal, what activity level did you select? It might be that if you selected a very active base, that it expects you to do a bunch of steps or some other activity to get to normal/zero adjustment. Ten thousand steps is close to five miles. A mile should earn you closer to 100 calories, so five miles shouldn't just earn you 40.

It’s related to the activity level you selected.

It seems that a certain number of steps is expected per activity level.

I’m guessing you’re set at active or highly active.

I’m set at highly active with the negative Apple Watch adjustment. I do a lot of classes and weight training. But, since a lot of my recorded exercise is also just walking, it adjusts my calories backwards. I don’t really get much credit, if any for walking, because it assumes I’d be doing that many steps anyway based on “highly active”.

The negative adjustment slows down a bit when I exceed 20,000 steps, but again, I’m set for “highly active”.
  • springlering62
    Options
    pS: my diary is open. You can see the exercise and steps, along with the negative adjustment if you scroll down my daily logs.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,332 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

It’s related to the activity level you selected.

It seems that a certain number of steps is expected per activity level.

I’m guessing you’re set at active or highly active.

I’m set at highly active with the negative Apple Watch adjustment. I do a lot of classes and weight training. But, since a lot of my recorded exercise is also just walking, it adjusts my calories backwards. I don’t really get much credit, if any for walking, because it assumes I’d be doing that many steps anyway based on “highly active”.

The negative adjustment slows down a bit when I exceed 20,000 steps, but again, I’m set for “highly active”.

I was thinking that might be the case; either how the watch was set or how MFP was set. I am guessing that they both might even feed off each other.

I use a Garmin. I have MFP set on "sedentary" even though I'm not. But that give me a floor for calorie goal. My device sends information on any activity, and MFP adds that to my goal. One thing I scratch my head about is that if I just take a walk without telling my device it's a "walk," it counts steps and my calorie goal increases. If I tell it I'm on a walk, it sill increases my allowed calories, but oddly not as much. That's even if I'm walking 3.5 or 4.0 mph - brisk or very brisk. One thing I do like is that when I tell it I'm on a walk, it does NOT give me calories for my steps until I get to some threshold of steps. The odd thing is that the reduction is more steps than I took during the walk itself, and I know the device is smart enough to track when the steps happen. It even will show me a graph if I log in to the Garmin site.

Main thing is that over time it seems to be reasonably correct in what it gives me. If I run a deficit, I will lose, and if I hit really close to goal, I maintain. Let's just not talk about what happens when I go over day after day. You already know....
  • springlering62
    Options
    Lol

^^^^this!!!!!!

So it’s not just Apple Watch users scratching their heads