Formula for depleting glycogen?

Options
I know the liver has a finite storage ability, and guess muscles do also, so wondered if there is a way of working out how much exercise or calories burnt it takes to deplete glycogen stores. And therefore how much you need to consume after any specific workout.

Replies

• RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Think I read somewhere that the body holds around 2,000 Calories of glycogen stores and 6,000 Calories of fat but this will obviously be a big generalisation.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    You might be able to find this info on an endurance training website.
  • jcb110
    Options
    Liver stores about 400gm glucose as glycogen, so about 1600 cal
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Hmmm just read that glycogen storage capacity in the liver is only 50g per day. The rest depends on quantity of muscle in the body. Which I guess explains why skinny fat people gain so easily.
  • adamsilva
    adamsilva Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    a Tabata or circuit style weighted training session works best. work every part of your body. do 4-5 rounds until you can physically do anymore. make sureyou find that limit and not push TOO hard at the end otherwise the opposite affect will occur. If you have a low carb diet to begin with you'll prob only make it 2-3rounds if high carb 4-5rounds.

1g protein per lb of LBM
    5-7g Carbs per lb of LBM. YEP!
    0.5g fat per lb of LBM.

so if your about 140lb you'll probably want to push for close to 3000 cals!

cal intake 2000 + (140*5g = 700g) of Carbs = **** load of calories!! = approx 3000 cals.

i'll let you work out the finer details. i

i got a friend that does it. i'll ask him. good luck.
  • adamsilva
    Options
    sorry didnt really answer your question. Eat lots and lots of food straight after circuit training! mainly carbs minimal fat a fair bit of protein as stated above.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you but can share that it takes 24 to 48 hours for me. I really don't think that the amount of lean muscle has much to do with it. Could be wrong though..

I'd ask Ebby. :smile:
  • adamsilva
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you but can share that it takes 24 to 48 hours for me. I really don't think that the amount of lean muscle has much to do with it. Could be wrong though..

I'd ask Ebby. :smile:

Yes thats correct not for glycogen depletion but for how much macros to consume after GD :) just as a reference.