What's so wrong with a cookie cutter diet?

Options
I am on a diet program from my trainer that is 4 days of eating very specific meals and 3 days of eating healthy, but whatever I choose. I like this program because I have a really hard time making good choices on my own and this has helped me ease into it. I get the feeling that most people on here don't like the idea of an "eating program". Some of us need that to learn and to have better success. I don't think a single person who follows this kind of diet is kidding themselves into thinking that the weight will magically stay off once they "quit". I never plan on quitting. Dieting is for life. Every single thing you eat is your "diet". It's up to every individual to decided whether their diet is healthy or not.

Let me just add that the reason I never lost weight before now was because every time I tried someone would tell me "oh you'll gain it all back". Well I'd just like to SCREW YOU to everyone who said that to me :laugh:

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    not sure what you mean by an eating program, but I LOVE YOUR ATTITUDE.

don't use the words diet! Focus on getting healthy, with weight loss as a prize. Diet has a beginning and an end---you don't want to ever end, so don't use that word. Good luck to you :)
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I think they're great for people who don't know where to start. You follow a specific diet plan, then once you get used to the amount of calories in the foods you eat, you can modify your diet accordingly. Counting calories can be pretty overwhelming at first! Following a diet would make it a lot easier. MFP really helps too with their huge foods database. :smile:
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as it works for you and you enjoy it.

I know I could never do one because of my lifestyle. I shop sales and if I had to eat chicken for lunch 3 days a week but chicken hadn't been on sale in a while, I'd be lost! I'd also get very sick of eating the same foods. The boyfriend always laughs and reminds me of the year I was really into making large batches of soup for convience of lunches at work, and about a month into it I'd send him angry texts every lunch hour about how sick of soup I am and how much of this crap I have in the freezer :p

In the end, if you like the program, and it works for you, then go for it! It is your weight loss, so do what you want to do.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do a cookie cutter diet for long because I hate things "written in stone" heck if I plan out my meals for the day I'll rebel by my evening meal but....

I can see that many people do like more structure in their lives whether that be socially or food wise. If that is what you like and its working for you blow what everyone else thinks....you are doing this for you and you are the only one that matters
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I think what your doing is the same thing everyone else on this site is doing, just a different form of it. We all had to learn to eat healthier.. if we didn't, then we wouldn't be here! Some of us had an easier time of learning it then others.. and some need a lot more help them others. Once you get the hang of it though, you'll be able to do it on your own.. which sounds like what you want to do anyway.

What people on here are talking about is diets like atkins, south beach, HCG etc.. stuff that has a definite start and stop point. Those types of diets are not sustainable long term in my eyes.. but what your doing sounds like it is.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Initially I wouldn't try to go for totally "healthy". Go for "healthier". It's much easier to get used to and stick with. Remember, it's not a diet, its a lifestyle change. The smaller changes you make, the more likely it is that will be happy to stick with it, which is the ultimate goal really.

If you happen to LIKE all the uber healthy things, then go for it! Just remember to say to yourself "Would i be happy eating like this for the rest of my life". If the answer is yes, great! If not, change things around so you are still at a calorie deficit, but you feel happier doing it.
  • redhead91
    Options
    I just have a huge problem with people who think their way is the only way. Not just with dieting, but in all aspects of life. There are a lot of people here who think that if you don't eat clean or if you do eat the same thing every day for 3 days a week, then you're destined to fail. BTW I eat something different every day of my "plan". I have found that eating this way has a helped me realize that I don't need as much as food as I think I do. Also, I love a super busy life right now so knowing what I'm going to eat helps me a lot. I am perfectly aware that some people like a lot more variety (trust me I LOVE food), but I am super happy learning and trying to eat in a way that I didn't used to. I believe that failure is how you learn! Thanks guys for being so encouraging. I am trying hard to have a good attitude (especially when doing stupid Jillian Michals videos! GRRR)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I just have a huge problem with people who think their way is the only way...There are a lot of people here who think that if you don't eat clean then you're destined to fail. ..

Couldn't agree more.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    There are people in the world who really do believe that once they get off the plan they will magically stay fit. I've met them. They're ignorant, stupid or both. These people go from plan to plan to plan losing weight for however long they're on it, gaining it back because they didn't know how to eat, or sometimes they just can't focus long enough because they didn't make a lifestyle change--instead they went on a temporary diet plan not understanding that it ends.

I think some people don't like "diet plans" because there are people like this. Of course not all people who try diet plans are like this.
  • My only problem with the cookie cutter diets are that a lot of them don't teach you how to eat they just teach you how to open a box and nuke food.
    What ends up happening frequently is someone looses a bunch of weight on the frozen food diet plans and then once they reach their goal they don't know how to make healthy food for them selves. I always liked the programs where you make your own food because it teaches you how to cook and eat healthy.
  • marcibar
    Options
    If it is working for you let it work! I personally would get very bored with it, unless your trainer regularly changes the meals up. Don't let others tell you what is best for you, you know you better then anyone else. As you keep with those three days of healthy eating and learn more recipes, you may start wanting to get out of the cookie cutter, but again, if you don't want to, don't feel pressured!

You will be fine!