Trying to lose weight in college... HELP!

Options
Hey everyone! :)
I know I am young, but I have battled with my weight my entire life. When I was in 9th grade, I was at my heaviest, 220 lbs and was so upset. My mom and I went on Weight Watchers and by beginning of my tenth grade year I was 155 and so much happier!
Well due to some very stressful things that have happened in the past few years, I have gained thirty pounds back... And to add to it, I just started my freshman year of college and can already feel things getting tight... I have a problem with late night snacking. And I have been finding it hard to resist temptation (cake, french fries etc) when I go get my meals.
So does anyone have any tips on how maybe I can control myself a little bit.

Replies

• Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm a college student too feel free to add me, please put a message with your request. As for some suggestions with the cafeteria. Do they have a sandwhich station and a salad bar? I would make those places my domain. Also, if your a big late night snacker try kettle corn its really kinda sweet but don't have all the calories of butter. Also, if you have the money I would stock up on veggies like carrots and celery these things are really quick and easy. I'm a senior, but when I was in the dorms my freshman year these are the things my roommate and I did and I didn't gain at all. I probably would have lost if I wasn't drinking and if I was going to the gym more often.

Anyways I hope this info helps you!
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    When I lived at college, I made sure to always hit the salad bar first in the dining hall! I'd fill up a big plate there, eat that...and then almost always found that I wasn't hungry enough to go eat any of the hot foods (which were always unhealthy options). My school also had a 'grill' section where you could orders burgers, of course, but they also would make a nice grilled chicken breast! A sliced grilled chicken breast is a really nice addition to an otherwise boring salad. I also think it's a good idea to try to eat at least 2 [healthy] meals a day in the dining hall, rather than going back to the dorm and snacking.

For late night snacks, I would always have baby carrots and radishes in the fridge (they don't spoil quickly and don't require much prep except washing), small granola bars (like Kashi TLC), and organic fruit snacks or fruit leather (good for a sweet tooth, and they're pre-packaged so it's hard to over-eat). Apples are in season right now, too, and they last a pretty long time on the shelf! If your problem is opening a box of cheez-its and eating the whole thing (that's still my problem and I've already graduated!), buy the snack-pack ones. It's more expensive per ounce, but really it's worth it since you'll know when you've had your serving.

I actually lost 10 pounds my first semester of college, because I didn't have the luxury of grocery shopping whenever I wanted (didn't have a car), spent most of my money on drinking anyways, I was on the varsity equestrian team, and used the gym ALL the time since it was totally free, and within walking distance to my dorm! Use the gym that is most likely free to use since you pay tuition!
  • xyzena
    xyzena Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When you're eating your last meal of the day try to eat something with a lot of fiber! I know it sounds weird but fiber helps you stay full longer! Same with leafy greens like spinach! Nuts work too, but try not too eat too many because they're really oily. Usually at night if I feel like I'm hungry, I have a glass of water because it's not that I'm hungry it's just that I'm used to wanting something so late at night :)
  • teddypete13
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    Tonight, I had grilled chicken, veggies, rice and salad. I know the rice is bad but I only had a little. It was really good actually!
    I'm going to make an effort to get to walmart this weekend to get some apples, carrots, light popcorn, baked tortilla chips and salsa. not sure what else. My step mom made a snack bin for me before i left for college filled with bad stuff (chocolate covered raisins, pudding, cheez its, buttery popcorn and ramen) Trying to pawn these off to my friends!