Lost 30+ lbs, figured out why I'm at a plateu, and had a non-scale victory!

Options
2»

Replies

• lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your great progress!! And I hear you about kickboxing... I used to call it my "definition sport" because it works all the hard-to-train areas we women aspire to tone, as well as providing self-defense, self-confidence and a terrific way to vent frustrations :smiley: Woohoo!!
  • Daeygur
    Daeygur Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Daeygur wrote: »
    I also applaud you. Congratulations on making changes. Keep making them and you will get to goal. It's probably time to log your food, at least for awhile. Exercising is not necessary for weight loss, but as mentioned above, will be good for your health--especially as you age. Many people walk to start, but it's important that you do something you like and will stick to. Consistency and persistence are your friends.

Wishing you the best of luck and hoping to hear a new success story in the future.

Thank you! Yeah, exercise isn't as important as diet, but coming from a former athlete and seeing my muscles and everything I worked hard for years on start to deteriorate to the point that I can't even lift up cat litter kind of put me into a mindset of "You can lose all your weight through diet, but what's the point if you're weaker than your 86 year old grandmother???? You're an athlete! You lived half your life doing sports before you spiraled into depression and what not, so get up off your butt and start being that athlete." Instead of thinking of it as "working out" I have to manipulate my mind with reverse psychology and say, "practicing kickboxing, or training for kickboxing." Lmaooo because if I don't and say "Oh, crap I need to workout today." Yeah, I'm not going to get up and doing it. But if I say, "Oh, crap I need to train for kickboxing today." Then I'm more inclined to get up off my rump and start kickboxing.

It's the strangest thing really HAHAHA. I'm very excited to share a new success story in the future and hopefully by this summer I have many success stories to post. XDD

This is something that just came to mind when I read this post of yours, and that is to find enough sports and activities that you can do solo, on your own, now as well, so that when you get older, you will still be able to get out some adrenaline rush, and get some of that competitive itch scratched. (It will likely never go away). You might find it harder to keep team sports up as you get older, because they tend to be the first ones that go by the wayside as people head off into work, careers, family, etc., so it's always good to have a back-up or things you can do in a pinch. (Eg. riding a bike is something you can do alone, or in a group, but it's not per-se, a team sport). You may find softball or slo-pitch one of the easiest team sports to keep up when older, because a lot of people still play recreationally as adults, etc. In the meantime, you may find it a lot of fun to hit balls at a batting cage, if there's one available near you.

In many ways, sports saved my life and my sanity when I was young. Not only was I reasonably good at many of them, but I could give that soccer ball a good kick and get out a lot of frustration instead of retaliating towards bullies (although one did get a taste of his own medicine and he and his friends never bothered me again! I chased him blocks until I caught up with them, and they were scared witless. They not only realized that I could run, but I didn't back away and I was mad enough to mean business. They were punished in the end, and back then grounding was a big deal. I took that moment with me for the rest of my life, and recall it now and then when something brings it to mind. Btw, the bully was a fat kid, and I wasn't fat when I was being bullied then with that idiot--he was a high school trouble-maker. Not all of my bullies were fat, but many of them were. So I have extra reasons why I don't care for fatness ;-) Kick-boxing was suggested to me many years ago for self-defense after an unfortunate incident, but I didn't look into it, and I probably should have. I have had numerous times when it would have come in handy for various reasons. Here's a hint though: Don't advertise it too loudly that you are good at it. It may end up being a secret weapon for you one day, and it's always good to have something up your sleeve that people don't suspect. ;-)

Thank you so much for your kind messages!!!!!! I was the opposite growing up. I was heavily bullied during High School, and due to that I feel into a deep depression and ate for comfort. Different medications, different diagnosis, different doctors until finally earlier this year after a horrible two-week relationship I had reached the highest weight I've ever had. I finally went cold turkey off my medication (don't recommend!!!!) and it worked for me. I was more determined to live than ever and did a 180 June pushing myself even when I was uncomfortable. Kickboxing is very fun btw!!! I highly recommend it!!
  • sargemarcori
    sargemarcori Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You're amazing, OP. I am cheering you on.
  • sandramarshall200
    sandramarshall200 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am so invested in you. Hope its going well.
  • Daeygur
    Options
    I am so invested in you. Hope its going well.

Yes! It has! :) I've lost a total of 51 lbs now!!
  • Daeygur
    Options
    Also thank you!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!