Pissed off

Options
Is there anyone else that is pissed off at myfitnesspal? I have been a long time user, 2833 straight days that I have logged in. The fact that they TOOK AWAY our bar scanner is criminal. I consider it blackmail that they did that just to get more premium memberships. The bar scanner has been part of the app from the beginning. After losing 60 pounds last year, I gained 12 back. It makes it harder for me to log my food and if that is their goal instead of helping us lose and maintain our weight, then their business model is MESSED UP. I'm currently looking at other options. I also hate these apps that brag about how important we are to them and yet we can't communicate with a HUMAN BEING!!!! Opine anyone?

Replies

• LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Barcode scanner isn't too big of a deal for me as I just type it in. I figured if it ever bugged me, I'd pony up the money since the app is mission critical for me. I haven't been around as long as you. I've been here 520 days.

I guess I've also grown accustomed to no interaction. My 2nd to last "doctor" appointment was me typing in information and them sending in a prescription with no dialogue at all.

I guess I'm just not pissed off!
  • CapriceD
    CapriceD Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't text and hate typing on my phone. When (like now) I'm on my laptop, so typing it in is very hard. Because the scanner was always a benefit to using their service, the fact that they took is away is even more wrong.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options
    Nope. I didn't like it, brings up outdated or wrong entries too often, I don't like handling my phone while cooking (messy!), and lots of my foods don't arrive with a bar code. It's quicker for me to log a whole meal in one batch, and I don't have packages in hand at that point. But I'm only 2735 days in, so who knows.

I'm sorry you feel deprived of an essential feature, sincerely, and hope you find a good alternative. I'm betting most of those who were outraged enough have already left, since the scanner was officially dropped from free MFP a few months ago. I doubt they'll be back to endorse their new app here, though maybe I'm wrong.

Are you blaming the 12 pound regain on loss of the scanner? That's as good a thing to blame as any, I guess. Weight management isn't always easy for those of us inclined to overweight, among whom I count myself, and bumps in the road can make it harder.

I hope you find a good route forward, here or elsewhere. It's disappointing when we get in a groove, and things change in a way we find disruptive, for sure. Good luck!
  • CapriceD
    CapriceD Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've never had any problems with their scanner. I've cut many off the package before I threw them away. I have also saved some meals and that is easy to log. I'm not blaming them for my gain, per se. I understand that I am the one that puts the food in my mouth. I am successful with my weight management when I complete the diary. Even if I gain, I know as I'm doing the dairy it was a bad "day". When they took it away, I tried to reach out to them several times and since there is no "customer service", there is no accountability on their end. I've only use the app for the diary. It connects to my Garmin and I focus on my calories each day. To me it was a money grab on their behave and all the other "premium" benefits are to no use to me. I don't even recall having a discussion with anyone on this site.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options
    The staff does periodically review posts in this area of the Community:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/feature-suggestions-and-ideas

I wouldn't expect much to come of it by objecting there - others have done so in past months. I think the corporation's mind is made up, but that would be one place to post your unhappiness where the staff may see it.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    All businesses are raising their prices to account for inflation. Didn’t surprise me but did annoy me. It’s a free app.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    csplatt wrote: »
    All businesses are raising their prices to account for inflation. Didn’t surprise me but did annoy me. It’s a free app.

Unless you can't live without the barcode scanner. :p
  • Liam680
    Liam680 Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I have a premium membership and use the bar code scanner frequently. I knew it would make people mad when they took that critical feature away. I have been using this app for several years and my frustration continues to grow with their poor software design. I have been looking for alternative solutions. The inability to share my recipes with other app users and the numerous bogus results in the database. It seems crazy to me don't have more a reliable data set for common foods. For example granulated sugar is granulated sugar but there are just way too many entries for a single food. Some are verified and some not, why even have unverified entries for a common thing like sugar? This is just one single example and you can multiply this by all the foods in the database, it is a mind boggling waste of time to track a meal on some occasions. I end up estimating a lot and that is not a pathway to weight loss success.