Finding it hard to ignore calories in simple things....

Options
Oh my god.. I have started to look at the calories in EVERYTHING!!
I'm talking things like flavoured water.
It makes me not want to eat anything ): x

Replies

• Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. It becomes a way of life. I don't just see food. I see numbers.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, greens, lettuce, cucumber all are high water content, low calorie foods, but I obsess with logging the right amounts.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Before long you will know what you like, what has high calories and what is low. I am pretty good now at being able to eyeball the correct portions of things as well. Can be frustrating at first ... after a while, it just becomes 2nd nature :)
  • alyssaVDL90
    Options
    Aquafina has calorie-free flavored water. :]
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm like this too. When going out to eat I often pass up a place if they don't have calories posted on their website or available on their menus.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Honestly, that is too obsessive in my opinion. I was almost to that point, but I didn't let myself get that obsessed over calories counting. :)
  • scottpclark
    Options
    I've found that it's best for me to ignore the calories of the little stuff (flavored water, vegetables) and just focus on the larger stuff (such as what you eat for a main meal). I used to be caught up in recording everything and really that's not necessary. You should be mindful of what you are eating but try not to let that consume you (pun intended). :)
  • kaleigh91
    Options
    Honestly, that is too obsessive in my opinion. I was almost to that point, but I didn't let myself get that obsessed over calories counting. :)
    It's a good point.
    I sometimes feel that I am in danger of being ruled by my diet.....
  • hkrosez
    Options
    I was like that for a long time, then I spoke to my Nutritionist about this, and she actually said it's the beginning of an eating disorder. So, I stopped looking at the calories, and learned what was healthy and what was not. Also learned which foods had more calorie content, but help me stay full longer. Like avocados, greek yogurt, etc.

Be careful about this. You want to find things that don't have added sugar or any other preservatives, but don't be so worried about the calories in them.
  • kaleigh91
    Options
    Good advice. I am worried at a pattern emerging in what I am eating.. (or not )
    I rationalise that I need to lose weight and have skipped a lot of meals in the past few months.
    I lie and say that I've eaten and if I have a snack, I'll feel really guilty about it..
    I don't think I'm anorexic or anything, but I think I'm starting to have disordered eating.
    x
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Good advice. I am worried at a pattern emerging in what I am eating.. (or not )
    I rationalise that I need to lose weight and have skipped a lot of meals in the past few months.
    I lie and say that I've eaten and if I have a snack, I'll feel really guilty about it..
    I don't think I'm anorexic or anything, but I think I'm starting to have disordered eating.
    x

From the looks of the things you have said... and that your tracker shows that you want to be under 100lbs... I am a little worried about you... This is not something that people can just fix on their own very often... please talk to a professional about this... All of us on MFP are here to support you, but if you do have an eating disorder we are not equipped to get you the help that you need.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    It's a good point.
    I sometimes feel that I am in danger of being ruled by my diet.....
    [/quote]

If you are looking at it as a 'diet', that is more than likely part of the problem ... I ran across this quote earlier and it is so true ... "Your body is keeping an accurate journal of what you eat regardless of what you write down. And it remembers everything". It also needs to be a lifestyle change ... if you intend only to do it for a short while as the word "diet" seems to infer these days, it doesn't really matter if you watch the calories or not ... in the long run, it won't really make a big difference.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I was like that for a long time, then I spoke to my Nutritionist about this, and she actually said it's the beginning of an eating disorder. So, I stopped looking at the calories, and learned what was healthy and what was not. Also learned which foods had more calorie content, but help me stay full longer. Like avocados, greek yogurt, etc.

Be careful about this. You want to find things that don't have added sugar or any other preservatives, but don't be so worried about the calories in them.

It sounds like you have a great nutritionist (and I don't say that often, LOL). She is teaching you to eat intuitively, not by the calorie counts of things.............

I keep saying it is not about the calories and the QUANTITY, it is ALL about the QUALITY.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm too lazy to log the little things. Or at least do it accurately.
  • redhead91
    Options
    Can I just ask how tall you are? Cause wanting to be 99 lbs seems unhealthy even at 5 foot.
  • kaleigh91
    Options
    Can I just ask how tall you are? Cause wanting to be 99 lbs seems unhealthy even at 5 foot.
    5"1 x
  • redhead91
    Options
    5"1 x

99 lbs is dangerously close to underweight. I am not one to judge or tell people I'm right and their wrong, but if I was your close friend I would be concerned if you got that skinny. Even just being 105-110 seems a lot more reasonable. I really hope you continue seeing your nutritionist and he/she can advise you on what's right for you since no one here knows you or your body. Good luck :)