Dumb question on protien intake

Options
Does it matter if I go over on my protien intake? I am trying to eat more protien and less carbs, but that negative sign and big red number makes me feel like this is bad. I often go over by 1/2 of my daily allowance.

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    You're probably fine if you're staying within your daily caloric totals. Conventional wisdom suggests that proteins account for anywhere between 10-35% of our calories...and by conventional wisdom I mean a quiz I saw on webmd the other day :)
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    The limit here is low so unless you have a medical reason to limit your protein than the more the better.

Protein along with water and fiber are great for helping you stay fuller longer and building lean muscle.

Make sure you are eating lean protein............

Good Luck!
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    No... your body only uses the protein it needs.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. Think of the protein "goal" as a MINIMUM, not a MAXIMUM (like sugar or sodium).

I adjusted my percentages to 40% carb/30% fat/30% protein because I eat so much meat but I still regularly go over (typically 150-200g a day). I'm always way under on my carbs too so I may switch it out to something like 33/33/33 soon.

Dope
  • sistermooooon
    Options
    Just go in and customize your nutrition settings to how you want them. Increase your Protein % and stick with lean proteins and legumes (lower sodium ones) and then lower your carb percent too. Good Luck!
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Does it matter if I go over on my protien intake? I am trying to eat more protien and less carbs, but that negative sign and big red number makes me feel like this is bad. I often go over by 1/2 of my daily allowance.

So customize your goals to meet what YOU want to take in. Go to My Home / Goals / Change / Custom and enter them by percentages. I personally put 30% carbs, 30% protein and 40% fat which gives me 89g of carbs, 89g of protein and 47g of fat before I enter my exercise calories. (I have a higher tolerance for fat than the average person - you may want different numbers).
  • Alchemiss11
    Options
    I go over on protein all the time. I'm working out with a trainer and he has me on a 50-30-20 ratio of carbs-protein-fat. I think that as long as you're keeping an eye on your fat intake then you should be okay. But, everyone is different so what may work for me may not for you.

Good luck!
  • RocketsGirl75
    Options
    Extra protein is good! I like to load up on protein in the mornings.
  • sistermooooon
    Options
    I just checked mine...forgot what they were set at...40-35-25 (carb-protein-fat) and 35gm of fiber. That's the hard one to meet each day.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    More protein and more fiber are both just fine.
  • SweetCharity
    Options
    You're probably fine if you're staying within your daily caloric totals. Conventional wisdom suggests that proteins account for anywhere between 10-35% of our calories...and by conventional wisdom I mean a quiz I saw on webmd the other day :)

LOL, you're correct in that protein should be 10-35% or our daily intake. Americans tend to go way over that. We're definitely a protein lovin people, but it should fall within those guidelines. Going slightly over that is not a huge deal, but your diet shouldn't be like 50% protein daily - not if you're trying to eat healthy.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I go over on protein most days. I don't worry about it.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Protein is one of those nutrients where it's good to go over (especially if you're working out!) in. I suggest going to "goals" on your homepage, click "change goals" then "custom" and adjust your protein to a higher percentage so you won't see it be in the red anymore.

I usually get in at least 100 grams a day and that's on my non-workout days. My workout days are usually 120+.
  • BobinNC66
    BobinNC66 Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Had the same thing today and just starting so interested in what this thread has to say about it.
  • Traciwicki
    Traciwicki Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the great input! I will adjust my numbers. :flowerforyou: