I need the BEST carrot cake recipe ever!!

Options
c7eat2live
c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
Its my mom's birthday and she LOVES carrot cake. I want something spicy and hopefully calorie conscious :) I was going to try the Cooking Light recipe, but thought I would ask for y'alls input too :) Let me now if you have a favorite!

Replies

• sheneverfails
    Options
    I'm pretty sure there's a great one on SkinnyTaste. I'll check. :)
  • aimibean
    Options
    I use a GREAT one but it's not very calorie conscious...
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have a favorite...it won the State Fair of Texas....but it is the real-deal, full-leaded version....NOT calorie conscious! Let me know if you want it and I will send it to you.
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I use a GREAT one but it's not very calorie conscious...
    Same here.... The frosting alone has 2 sticks of butter..... Good luck with your search!
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I made the 2011 Cooking light recipe and was very happy with it.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Best EVER!!!!!! Not 'light' by any means. It's her birthday...who cares!

Carrot Cake (Karrot's Cake)
    The Best of the Best - Vol. 1 (Page: 313)
    Enjoy! (Page: 162)

So good for your eyesight, never mind your tastebuds!

Ingredients:
    Cake
    3/4 cup corn oil
    1 cup sugar
    3 eggs
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 1/3 tsp. baking soda (!)
    1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    2 cups finely grated carrots (4-5)

Icing
    8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, room temperature. (Don't use spreadable or light cream cheese!)
    1/4 cup butter, room temperature
    2 1/2 cups icing sugar
    2 tsp. vanilla

Instructions:
    To make cake: Beat together oil and sugar. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine dry ingredients and add to egg mixture. Beat all together until well blended. Fold in raw carrots. Bake 1 hour at 300 F. in a greased 9"x13" pan. (Can also be made in a bundt pan.)
    To make icing: Soften cream cheese and butter; beat well. Add sugar and vanilla and beat again. Spread on cooled cake.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! fantastic suggestions!
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Carrot Cake
    To give our cake moistness and more flavor, we used apple butter--a thick, dark-brown spread made of apples, sugar, and spices. You can find it with jams and jellies in your grocery store.

YIELD: 18 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
    COURSE: Desserts, Cakes/Frostings
    Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup apple butter
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    2 large eggs
    2 large egg whites
    3 cups shredded carrot
    Cooking spray
    Cream Cheese Frosting
    Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (flour through salt); make a well in center of mixture. Combine apple butter and next 4 ingredients (apple butter through egg whites) in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add apple butter mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in carrot.

Pour batter into 2 (8-inch) round cake pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack.

Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 2/3 cup frosting, and top with remaining cake layer. Spread the remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 304
    Calories from fat: 28%
    Fat: 9.5g
    Saturated fat: 2.9g
    Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 3.2g
    Protein: 3.6g
    Carbohydrate: 51.6g
    Fiber: 1g
    Cholesterol: 33mg
    Iron: 1.1mg
    Sodium: 357mg
    Calcium: 38mg

Cream Cheese Frosting
    Spread this rich Cream Cheese Frosting on carrot cake for a delicious and indulgent treat. This frosting works well on a variety of cakes and cupcakes.

This recipe goes with Carrot Cake

YIELD: 2 cups (serving size: 1 tablespoon)
    COURSE: Cakes/Frostings
    Ingredients

1/2 cup (4 ounces) block-style fat-free cream cheese, chilled
    1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, softened
    1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
    Preparation

Beat the first 4 ingredients at medi-um speed of a mixer until smooth. Lightly spoon sugar into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Gradually add sugar to butter mixture; beat at low speed just until blended (do not overbeat).

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 67
    Calories from fat: 20%
    Fat: 1.5g
    Saturated fat: 0.9g
    Monounsaturated fat: 0.4g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
    Protein: 0.5g
    Carbohydrate: 13.2g
    Fiber: 0.0g
    Cholesterol: 5mg
    Iron: 0.0mg
    Sodium: 36mg
    Calcium: 11mg
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Bump!:flowerforyou:
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Coconut Cake with Buttercream Frosting

This coconut cake recipe is one of our readers' all-time favorites. The frosting is also popular for several other cupcake and cake flavors like carrot, spice and basic white. Garnish the cake plate with sugar-frosted cranberries and rosemary sprigs.

YIELD: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
    COURSE: Desserts, Cakes/Frostings
    Ingredients

Cake:
    Cooking spray
    1 tablespoon cake flour
    2 1/2 cups cake flour (about 10 ounces)
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 cups sugar
    6 tablespoons butter, softened
    1/4 cup egg substitute
    2 large eggs
    3/4 cup light coconut milk
    1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
    Frosting:
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup water
    5 large egg whites
    1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    1/4 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
    3 tablespoons toasted flaked sweetened coconut
    Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.

To prepare cake, coat 3 (8-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms of pans with wax paper. Lightly coat wax paper with cooking spray; dust pans with 1 tablespoon flour.

Lightly spoon 2 1/2 cups flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Place 2 cups sugar and 6 tablespoons butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes or until well blended. Add egg substitute and eggs to sugar mixture; beat well. Add flour mixture and coconut milk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon extract.

Spoon batter into prepared pans. Sharply tap the pans once on countertop to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on wire racks; remove from pans. Remove wax paper; discard. Cool cakes on wire racks.

To prepare frosting, combine 1 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 3 minutes, without stirring, or until a candy thermometer registers 250°. Combine egg whites, cream of tartar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a large bowl; using clean, dry beaters, beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Pour hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over egg whites, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low; continue beating until egg white mixture cools (about 12 minutes).

Beat 1/4 cup butter until light and fluffy; stir in 1/4 teaspoon extract, if desired. Fold in 1 cup egg white mixture. Fold butter mixture into remaining egg white mixture, stirring until smooth.

Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Repeat twice with cake layers and 1 cup frosting, ending with cake layer; spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Chill until set.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 317
    Calories from fat: 25%
    Fat: 8.8g
    Saturated fat: 5.5g
    Monounsaturated fat: 0.3g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
    Protein: 4.4g
    Carbohydrate: 55.6g
    Fiber: 0.4g
    Cholesterol: 45mg