Boredom Munchies

Options
So I have a serious issue with "Boredom Munchies" and need some suggestions. It doesn't matter whether I am at work on a slow day or sitting at home. If I get bored I mindlessly go and grab something out of the fridge or pantry. Today I was sitting there eating crackers and realized that I wasn't even hungry!!!!! Calories were wasted! Suggestions?

Replies

• sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I chew gum when I am bored!
  • jfhaskell
    Options
    In know that it might not sound that great, but celery sticks are good for that. They don't have a lot of taste, however they do have a good crunchy texture and they are acutally a negative calorie food (it takes more energy to digest them than they provide).
  • gennybunny1
    Options
    Oh I am the same. I am a complete emotional eater (happy, sad, glad, mad) and a boredom eater and I eat if I didn't get enough sleep and am tired.

I try to eat every 3 hours to keep my blood sugar up, I chew gum, drink tea or something warm and try to keep my hands busy. I have tried brushing my teeth and that does help.
    I was bored the other day and found myself looking in the pantry right after dinner, so I grabbed my dogs and daughter and went on an hour long walk. When I came home I wasn't even tempted to eat and felt great that I got out.

Hope that helps. :)
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Eating out of boredom used to be my problem..... what helped me to undo this habit was to pre-plan my meals. It was a drag to THINK about what I am going to eat one day ahead, but that helped me to THINK and not eat 'mindlessly'. It's all about training yourself to be Self-aware. Be present... don't check out... :happy:
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm a big boredom eater.
    I go chop vegetables. By the time I'm done chopping them I've realised I'm not that hungry. I'll eat my chopped salad anyway, but with no harm done.
    A mug of green tea works wonders too.
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    paint my nails, braid friendship bracelets, and try my hardest not to think of eating.
  • rhirvo
    rhirvo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This is completely my issue - especially at home after dinner - I have started doing yoga at nights now or hitting a sauna... gotta get away from lounging otherwise wine and cheese comes out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MissyAnne8308
    Options
    Thank You for all the input. I am going to try and keep myself busy. I just feel like I run out of ideas. I really would like to try yoga but afraid I won't be able to do it.
  • MissyAnne8308
    Options
    In know that it might not sound that great, but celery sticks are good for that. They don't have a lot of taste, however they do have a good crunchy texture and they are acutally a negative calorie food (it takes more energy to digest them than they provide).

I actually like celery very well so I will try this(for which I didn't even think of) Thank You!