Cholestrol and sodium

Options
What is the daily recommended amount of cholestrol and sodium that we should exceed?

Replies

• Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think you can go into your goals and tools and choose to track both of those things and it will tell you based on your caloric intake.
  • cacraft
    Options
    According to livestrong.com ...

Cholesterol - 300mg/day. If you have a heart condition go lower - 200mg/day
    Sodium - less than 2300mg /day. (I aim for less than 1200 and am usually under 1000)
  • msdee45
    Options
    thanks for the info ladies. have a great day!
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Until today I did not give much thought about the cholesterol in scrambled eggs - WOW! Most of my days are under 300 mg but 3 scrambled, whole eggs - to the moon!

Nor did I give much thought to sodium until I saw it on MFP. Processed foods of any sort can wreck havoc on a diet.

I'm already thinking modification before I hear it from a dr - aging does that :bigsmile:
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    We are all watching what we eat or we wouldn't be on MFP. Eating cholesterol in and of itself doesn't automatically raise the cholesterol in your body. Check out http://www.3fatchicks.com/does-eating-eggs-raise-your-cholesterol-level/

Or here is the info below.

How Cholesterol Is Accumulated in the Body

Contrary to popular belief, cholesterol in your foods doesn’t contribute significantly towards your cholesterol level. Your body actually produces cholesterol all on its own—more than you could ever get from eating food. In fact, studies have shown that only ⅓ of your cholesterol comes from outside sources—the rest is produced by your own body.

The real danger to your cholesterol doesn’t come from cholesterol at all, but from saturated fats and trans fats. Eggs do not have any trans fats—those come from oils that have been hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated—and is not a significant source of saturated fats; a large egg only contains only 1.5 g.

Do Eggs Influence Your Cholesterol Levels?

Eating eggs does have an effect on your cholesterol levels according to studies. However, the effect is minimal. One study showed that eating eggs only raised the levels of LDL-1 and LDL-2 particles. These cholesterol particles do not pose a risk for cardiovascular disease. The particles that are the biggest threat are LDL-3 through LDL-7—none of which have their levels raised by eating eggs.

Lowering Your Cholesterol

If you’re interested in lowering your cholesterol, talk to your doctor. Your doctor will know the best things that you can do to help lower your risks for high cholesterol and heart and cardiovascular disease. However, here are a few things that you can do on your own to help.
    ■Lose weight. Obesity is not the only factor that influences the levels of cholesterol, but it’s certainly a big one. Losing weight is one of the best ways to reduce your risks.
    ■Exercise more. Exercise can help you lose weight.
    ■Eat a balanced diet. Avoid high levels of saturated fat and trans fat and stay away from the junk food.
    ■Consume more antioxidants. Antioxidants help to keep your LDL cholesterol under control.
    ■Reduce stress. Stress puts a tremendous strain on the body and can help make a bad cholesterol problem worse.

Eggs are densely packed with nutrients that are helpful for your body. Don’t be afraid to eat them every once in awhile. While they do contain a significant amount of cholesterol, they don’t influence your cholesterol levels in a very negative way. Just make sure to limit your egg consumption and eat foods with less cholesterol on days when you have eggs to keep your cholesterol consumption below the daily recommended allowances.