Baking

Options
cheflilo62686
cheflilo62686 Posts: 4 Member
I am looking for some awesome healthy cake recipes---my son turns 1 in March, and I want to make him awesome cupcakes that are still moderately healthy for the family. I am a baker/cake decorator, and I know how "good" lots of butter and sugar taste, so your comments and recipes would be greatly appreciated!!! I am planning on a basic vanilla cake with vanilla frosting. Thank you all in advance! :happy:

Replies

• MuffinMan25
    Options
    I Love Muffins!!! :tongue:
  • mrtentaclenun
    mrtentaclenun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My favorite healthy cake is a sugar free angel food cake, topped with cool whip light! It is SO SO good, and if you make cupcakes they are only like 67 calories I think? You can also add sliced strawberries :)
  • rcrea
    rcrea Posts: 80
    Options
    I've heard that substituting applesauce for butter works well. You might have to do a little research on the measurements though.
  • Maple669
    Options
    I know you can substitute applesauce for oil...not sure about for butter though
  • ChrisKS
    ChrisKS Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chocolate cake mix mixed with one can of diet dr pepper. Baked as directed on package.
  • cj411
    Options
    applesauce wont work as a substitute for butter in some recipes (e.g. biscuits, some cakes). However, I have found that Logicol, which has like 1/4 the calories of butter, does a reasonable job of my biscuits - the texture is a bit softer but I do like a soft cookie anyway!

I'm not sure you can get Logicol outside of Australia, but you will most probably have a similar product you can use. Logicol is a low fat/low calorie margarine substitute which also lowers cholesterol absorption (so its one of those margarines promoted to reduce your cholesterol levels over a certain period of time!). I think its got something like 800kj per 100g, as opposed to 2400 or more for normal margarine and butters. Point being, if you cant buy Logicol, youl will be able to find something similar!

I like to use a Stevia based sweetener when baking for children - Stevia is an extract from a plant that has been used for thousands of years. I don't actually believe the hokum about artificial sweeteners causing children to be autistic or any rubbish like that, but its a concession to my less educated and more fervently red-necked family and friends that I bake for. And Stevia, which has a bit more calories per 100g than Equal or Splenda, but heaps less than sugar, does taste a whole lot nicer than the artifical sweeteners!
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    How about Carrot and Courgette muffins. My kids dont' really like either veg that much but they love these. I make regular sized muffins but these could easily be made into mini muffins

Serves 6

Ingredients
    Carrots - Raw, 40 g
    Generic - Uk Courgette 100g,
    Tesco Value - Plain Flour, 150 g
    Vegetable Oil 1 Tablespoon
    Semi Skimmed Milk
    Seedless Raisins, 30 g
    Light Brown Muscovado Cane Sugar, 10 grams
    Tesco - Medium Free Range Egg, 1 egg
    1 tsp baking powder

Cals 148

I just throw it all in a bowl and mix. and put in the oven for about 15 mins on 190.
  • cheflilo62686
    Options
    I like to use a Stevia based sweetener when baking for children - Stevia is an extract from a plant that has been used for thousands of years. I don't actually believe the hokum about artificial sweeteners causing children to be autistic or any rubbish like that, but its a concession to my less educated and more fervently red-necked family and friends that I bake for. And Stevia, which has a bit more calories per 100g than Equal or Splenda, but heaps less than sugar, does taste a whole lot nicer than the artifical sweeteners!

Stevia is actually on the "best" sugar replacement list!! They just released a study that SPLENDA, AGAVE, and ASPARTAME sould be avoided. I use Stevia for everything!

Anyone got a good VANILLA CAKE & VANILLA FROSTING CUPCAKE RECIPE?
  • cheflilo62686
    Options
    It tried to post twice!! :blushing: