Can you please share your Strength Training plans?? Please :

Options
Hey everyone! Just wanted to know when you strength train, what do you do exactly? How many days a week? Reps? How long? Etc. I would like to hear from anyone of any age, both genders, size, etc. Also what would you prefer is the limit for women? Thanks :)

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    your comment about a limit for women really struck me...we have NO limits!

i suggest getting a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women...lift like a man and look like a goddess!
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Check out the book 'the new rules of lifting for women' http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316718612&sr=8-1

That is the program I just started and it is 3 x a week. Seems really good so far! (plus it is a good 6 month plan so it'll get you going.
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    lol aggiecass beat me to the punch!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

i suggest getting a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women...lift like a man and look like a goddess!

I was going to suggest that book as well. It is a great resource that should help you find your way.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options

I was going to say this same thing LOL!
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options

I was going to suggest that book as well. It is a great resource that should help you find your way.

Really??? Majority rules I am sure lol so I will definitely check that book out.. I use to be like super toned and muscular and since I gained weight I am not that much muscular anymore and is so afraid to lift weights... But everyone recommends that I still do it. So I wasn't sure
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I used to do bodyweight exercises when I was pretty outta shape, which helped a bit.

Then when I got a bit more serious, 2 day upper/lower body split, made up mostly of compound exercises.

Right now it's 5 days a week, 2 body parts a day (chest/calves, biceps,triceps, shoulds/traps..every 3rd day or so off. If I'm pretty bored one day, I'll hit 2 workouts (4 bodyparts) and it lasts 1-1.5hrs.

Logging my lifts, I try to increase the weight every week. 2.5, 5, or even 10lbs.

I started stalling out for awhile, so started ramping my lifts (lift 100lbs...125, 150) til i reached my max, and 9 times outta 10 I could perform a stronger set when I approached it this way.

I also change my routine ever 1-1.5 months.
  • mznisaelaine
    Options
    I used to do bodyweight exercises when I was pretty outta shape, which helped a bit.

Then when I got a bit more serious, 2 day upper/lower body split, made up mostly of compound exercises.

Right now it's 5 days a week, 2 body parts a day (chest/calves, biceps,triceps, shoulds/traps..every 3rd day or so off. If I'm pretty bored one day, I'll hit 2 workouts (4 bodyparts) and it lasts 1-1.5hrs.

Logging my lifts, I try to increase the weight every week. 2.5, 5, or even 10lbs.

I started stalling out for awhile, so started ramping my lifts (lift 100lbs...125, 150) til i reached my max, and 9 times outta 10 I could perform a stronger set when I approached it this way.

I also change my routine ever 1-1.5 months.

That's really good! Yea I'm trying to find something to regularly do and of course mix it up in my cardio workouts to help me lose weight like I should.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I try and push the limits of what I can lift. I like to increase weights I use whenevre I feel I am ready.
    I rotate upper and lower body workouts also.
    I tend to do all exercise in 3 sets of 15

leg press 130kg
    chest press 55kg
    one that works the back of your arms - 50kg
    hip abductor 150lbs
    hip adductor 130lbs
    calfe extension 45kg
    crunch machine - 160lbs

I also picked up some other weight lifting exercises with my September challenge that I plan on incorperating into my regular lifting schedule
  • mznisaelaine
    Options
    I try and push the limits of what I can lift. I like to increase weights I use whenevre I feel I am ready.
    I rotate upper and lower body workouts also.
    I tend to do all exercise in 3 sets of 15

leg press 130kg
    chest press 55kg
    one that works the back of your arms - 50kg
    hip abductor 150lbs
    hip adductor 130lbs
    calfe extension 45kg
    crunch machine - 160lbs

I also picked up some other weight lifting exercises with my September challenge that I plan on incorperating into my regular lifting schedule

That's really helpful just to get an idea on what some people do. I am trying to not be so afraid to just lift weights. I tend to gain muscle quickly but since I want to lose weight, I just don't want to stay stuck but at the same time have weight gain from weight lifting. Thank you for sharing
  • Clonekuh
    Clonekuh Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Another vote for New Rules of Weightlifting for Women. It's great for getting someone started.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 50 lbs in just over 5 months weight training like that. So definitely don't be afraid
  • whacknasty
    Options
    Hey everyone! Just wanted to know when you strength train, what do you do exactly? How many days a week? Reps? How long? Etc. I would like to hear from anyone of any age, both genders, size, etc. Also what would you prefer is the limit for women? Thanks :)

I guess I may have an old school way of going about it, lol (I've been told that anyway). I try to split my body in half roughly, doing pushing groups (chest, shoulders, triceps) in one workout, then pulling (biceps, back, traps) or legs the next, with a day of rest in between each. That way I usually don't over train by doing the same group twice within a week (unless I am just having a huge boost of energy and feel like if I don't use it I'll go nuts...then I may repeat one of my favorite ones)

During the workouts, I try to work the larger groups first, then the smaller/supporting ones next (like on chest day, bench work first, then something for triceps). And I still use the reverse pyramid method usually (starting lighter with more reps, moving up in weight/down in reps towards the end). I usually dont go over 1 1/2 hours ever.

On "rest" days, I try to sneak in cardio of some sort...lol.

Not the best exactly, but sometimes it's about finding out what works for your body. : )
  • mznisaelaine
    Options

I guess I may have an old school way of going about it, lol (I've been told that anyway). I try to split my body in half roughly, doing pushing groups (chest, shoulders, triceps) in one workout, then pulling (biceps, back, traps) or legs the next, with a day of rest in between each. That way I usually don't over train by doing the same group twice within a week (unless I am just having a huge boost of energy and feel like if I don't use it I'll go nuts...then I may repeat one of my favorite ones)

During the workouts, I try to work the larger groups first, then the smaller/supporting ones next (like on chest day, bench work first, then something for triceps). And I still use the reverse pyramid method usually (starting lighter with more reps, moving up in weight/down in reps towards the end). I usually dont go over 1 1/2 hours ever.
    On "rest" days, I try to sneak in cardio of some sort...lol.

Not the best exactly, but sometimes it's about finding out what works for your body. : )

Hey thanks! I think if it's working for you then that's cool. Yea I think I need to find exactly what I'm comfortable with... Thank you for sharing. It gave me ideas :)
  • nanababy9
    Options
    As far as strength training for a women if you want to build muscle: high weight, low reps; if you want to tone muscle: low weight, high reps. A general rule is 3-5 times a week, but break up body parts you're working out to different days. One day do upper body, one day legs, one day core, one day back, etc. If you go to a gym there's the machines, free weights, weighted balls, etc. I would invest in some exercise bands/pilates bands, a few hand weights, and a swiss ball they provide you some tools to exercise and are not very expensive so you can do a workout at home one night if you don't feel like going to the gym. And you can do just about anything with them. I'm going to add ya and if you want to know some good exercises let me know. I work at a Physical Therapy clinic and know a bunch of them!
  • CTK3989
    CTK3989 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This is the routine I follow. I don't follow the meal plan but I do the strength training. I added yoga in 4 days a week because I love yoga.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/laura-bailey-muscle-building-program.html
  • mznisaelaine
    Options
    As far as strength training for a women if you want to build muscle: high weight, low reps; if you want to tone muscle: low weight, high reps. A general rule is 3-5 times a week, but break up body parts you're working out to different days. One day do upper body, one day legs, one day core, one day back, etc. If you go to a gym there's the machines, free weights, weighted balls, etc. I would invest in some exercise bands/pilates bands, a few hand weights, and a swiss ball they provide you some tools to exercise and are not very expensive so you can do a workout at home one night if you don't feel like going to the gym. And you can do just about anything with them. I'm going to add ya and if you want to know some good exercises let me know. I work at a Physical Therapy clinic and know a bunch of them!

Hey thanks so much for the tips. I have so much excersize equipment so I have enough to vary. I think I also want to focus on some target areas. Thanks
  • mznisaelaine
    Options
    This is the routine I follow. I don't follow the meal plan but I do the strength training. I added yoga in 4 days a week because I love yoga.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/laura-bailey-muscle-building-program.html

Yea I need a set plan for me.. I tried so many different strength training regime and I'm really trying to find one the fits me. I was doing Pilates for two months at one point which helped me lose some pounds and I really loved it. I'll probably start going back to that
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I work out 4-5 days a week. It might be something like this

biceps - alternate dumbell curls 4 sets of 8-12 reps
    - scott curls 4 sets of 8 reps
    - cable curls 4 sets of 8-12 reps
    - hammer curls 4 sets of 8-12 reps

calves - leg press calf raises 4 x 8-12 reps
    - seated calf raises 4 x 8-15 reps

taking too long to type- I almost always do 4 sets of 8-12 reps, lifting so that the last 1-2 reps are very difficult to execute

triceps - tricep pushdown, tricep kickbacks, French dumbell press, tricep extention

legs - leg extention, leg press, walking lunges, back squat, sisi squats, free squats, lying leg curls, stiffleg deadlifts

back - lat pulldown, barbell rowing, low row machine, rowing machine, single dumbell rows

shoulders - front raises, rear delts, side raises, shoulder press

abs- hanging knee raises, weighted ab crunch machine, side crunch, lying crunches.

I start with 50 burpees probably 3 times per week, trying to build up to 100.
    I usually work biceps and triceps twice a week, break legs into 2 days, back and shoulders. I do abs 3-4 days a week, mostly depending on time or my energy. I finish with maybe 10-20 minutes of cardio.

Wrigint it all out I guess it seems a lot :) I'm due to change my program.