Ways to prepare chicken

Options
I need some suggestions for healthy ways to prepare chicken in advance. I try to cook several items on the weekend that I can just grab and take to work. I have tried baking chicken then putting it in the microwave, but I just really don't like it reheated. Someone had suggested steamable ziploc bags but I'm a little nervous about undercooked chicken. Ideas, please?

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Boneless skinless breasts are great sliced up on a salad or in a sandwich. No reheating necessary!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Season with Weber, Kick’n Chicken & cook in olive oil. Yummy!
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I love my crockpot.. I just throw my fave veggies in and meat and a seasoning packet with a can of tomato sauce...and its ready to go when I come home.. I would go to www.allrecipes.com and check the site out..I get tons of ideas there..love it!
  • NicolePayne
    NicolePayne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was just given the idea of putting chicken breasts into a crock pot, and pour a jar of salsa over it, and cook thru until the chicken can be shredded. Idea suggestions included using it for chicken tacos or over rice. I'm curious to try it, but alot of people from the website said it was fantastic.
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I like to take two breasts, cut them in half (filet them, long ways, not just cutting the breast right in half) so I end up with 4 fillets. I sprinkle garlic powder and seasoned salt on them then pan fry them in a little olive oil and lemon juice. Now I have dinner AND lunch the next day, maybe even a third meal, and one for my husband's dinner (he works nights). It tastes so good with either boil-in-bag brown rice, quinoa, or a little tri-colored rotini with a smidge of Smart Balance and garlic salt for flavor.... or sliced up in a salad... or with mashed potatoes.... or on a sandwich with a lot of greens. The thinner breasts cook faster if you're short on time, and you're not eating a huge portion but still getting plenty of protein! Good luck!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of grilling a bunch on Sundays and then using sliced leftovers in salads and wraps. It's good cold!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! For some reason, eating it cold didn't really occur to me. I'm such a dork. And I'm digging the crockpot idea. Yummy.
  • leopardvice
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has a lot of great recipes.
    i also like chicken chopped up and sauteed in just a tiny bit of butter when its almost done add peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, zucchini ... yum.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Spanish Chicken

Ingredients:
    2 tablespoons Olive Oil
    2 cloves Garlic, crushed
    Red Chilli (optional)
    1 Brown Onion, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
    1 Chorizo, thinly sliced
    1 Red Capsicum, deseeded, chopped
    2 teaspoons Smokey Paprika
    800 grams Chicken Thigh fillets in 3cm cubes
    400 gram tin Diced Tomatoes
    1/2 cup Pitted Black Olives, halved

Method:
    Heat the Oil in a large deep frying pan over medium heat.
    Add the Garlic, Chorizo, Capsicum and Onion. Cook, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes or until onion is soft.
    Stir in Paprika and cook for 1 minute or until aromatic.
    Add Chicken, Tomatoes and up to 1 cup of Water then season with Salt and Ground Black Pepper.
    Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until Chicken is cooked through.
    Stir through Olives and serve with Cous Cous, Rice, Quinoa or similar.

I used normal Paprika when I made it as that was already in the cupboard but the dish wasn't as spicy/peppery as I thought it would be with the Chorizo so the Chilli is my idea to add next time. The original recipe was served with saffron rice with sauteed onion through it but cous cous was a lot easier for me!

Takes a bit of time to dice the chicken but once everything's in the saucepan that's it. I find it very watery with the water so tend to skip it or maybe add a little red wine. Supposedly serves 4 but I get 4-6 meals out of it, breakdown below is without cous cous or other accompaniment.

Total: Cal - 1520, Fat - 33, Protein: 63
    Per Serving: Cal - 380, Fat - 8, Protein - 16
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I put boneless chicken breast in the crock pot with a can of Rotel and eat that with tortillas and sour cream.