Do you ever encounter this?...

Options
escadachic
escadachic Posts: 395 Member
When you're on your weight loss journey.

People telling you, be careful, don't lose too much weight? (which is fine if you are getting unhealthy, but not when you are still in the BMI overweight category)

Getting accused of being obsessed with the scales?

Being accused of heading towards an eating disorder?

Being told, you are intentionally eating too little calories?

Just to name a few.

Feel free to add more.

Replies

• california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    None of those things, but I have been accused of no longer being fun because I am careful about what I eat.
  • shagybear33
    Options
    i had a friend tell me that her daughter and her daughter's friends call me "bulemic"... which i have never suffered from.

I've also been told that i'm too skinny. (they haven't seen my stomach now have they???? LOL)

and yes, i've also gotten the "Don't lose too much!!!!!" yeesh!! lol
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    "You were a lot more fun when you were a bit less fussy about your food."

WTF? That was from a colleague.

ETA: amygirl71 do we work together? :laugh:
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    YES. My best friend this past week, ugh.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    A coworker does this to me daily!

So annoyed. Please I eat well and I work out.

No one ever told me when I was eating bad and my pants were too tight.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Nope... I haven't encountered any of this stuff. I'm pretty sure there is at least one person that has decided I'm less fun now that I'm a bit more careful about how much I eat and drink, but for the most part I'm the same person, just a little less gluttonous.
  • escadachic
    Options
    -People telling you, be careful, don't lose too much weight? (which is fine if you are getting unhealthy, but not when you are still in the BMI overweight category)

Yes! And always from people who are overweight and too lazy to do anything about it.

-Getting accused of being obsessed with the scales?

Yup. Though, I will admit, on occasion this is true, especially if I'm frustrated with what the scales are telling me :grumble:

-Being accused of heading towards an eating disorder?

Yes. And believe me, I know I'm not. I know what an eating disorder looks like and that's not me.

-Being told, you are intentionally eating too little calories?

Yup. I had an issue when I had dropped to 1200 calorie goal, as I couldn't manage the higher goals and I was stuck as to what to add to my food, to up the calories enough. As a result, I got accused of most of the above. Heading towards an eating disorder, obsessed with the scales and intentionally not eating enough calories. I addressed these accusations and I still had people 'expressing concern' and not listening to what I was saying.

I did find ways to add more calories and really, if I had an eating disorder and all that above crap, I'd not have cared and I would've not changed a thing.
  • papa5280
    Options
    Fighting with my mother, because she insists on ordering more food for me...

mom: "Get an appetizer"
    me: "I don't need or want one"
    mom, to the server: " We'd like a xxx for an appetizer"
    me, to mom: "are you going to eat it?"
    mom: "I might have a bite"
    me, to server: "please cancel the xxx"
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    A lot of people look me up & down & say " you don't need to lose weight"
    At my heaviest I was classed as overweight, I felt myself starting to waddle when I walked & I was going to have to buy new clothes if I gained any more weight. I was miserable in my own body.

I don't get a lot of encouragement & I find friends & family are a bit funny about it but I blame it on jealousy. Jealous that they don't have the motivation to do what we're doing.

Now when I get a negative response about what I'm doing I just reply with "I'm in the best shape of my life & I feel amazing" :wink:
  • phillymills
    Options
    so true
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    All the time.

I also get "it's not fair you are so skinny" um it is to, when was the last time you went for a run?

I think it comes from fear - people who are unhealthy or undisciplined hate to see others who are. So as soon as you are being healthy they want you to come back to being like them so they can feel better.

Remember "Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated"
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    error:
  • The_Wallflower
    The_Wallflower Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    ALLLLLLLL the time my friend. I did suffer from an eating disorder (still fight it everyday) and because of my past and how much i've lost to date the HEALTHY way, I get accused all the time.... it's part of the journey I guess... or jealousy!
  • escadachic
    Options
    I don't get a lot of encouragement & I find friends & family are a bit funny about it but I blame it on jealousy. Jealous that they don't have the motivation to do what we're doing.

I agree. I think many of them are the same in my life too.
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    my husband says i'm skinny enough but i want to lose a few more
  • chickenpoppa
    chickenpoppa Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Ive had the issue of being told i shouldnt loose anymore weight. Im 69.3 kilos (152.5 pounds) at the moment and my brother mentioned to my mum that i was getting too skinny. 10 years ago i was 60-65 kilos and looked fine. I have always had a tummy, thats never going to change. My mum then called me and said dont lose any more weight and just tone up. Im still in the BMI of being overweight. Mum is 65 kilos and im bigger then her and she says im getting too skinny....how does that work??
  • Neize
    Neize Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    So many ppl have told me not to lose too much! SMH because they are probably the same ones who were saying boy she's gaining alot of weight! You just can't win so, I don't try as long as I'm happy with what I see that's all that matter! :wink:
  • KimALesperance
    KimALesperance Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My mother tells me this. Doesn't want me to get to obsessive about my weigh loss. Customers at work tell me I look fine-that I would be to skinny if I lost any more.

What I don't like is that I try to lead a healthier lifestyle and people tell me I have taken this overboard-because I choose to try and eat healthier food, not eat the fries when the kids get McDonalds, etc. They say to keep those toxic people/friends out of your life, but it's hard when it's your family.
  • escadachic
    Options
    Yeah, I too have had an eating disorder. But all these people saying what they were, none of them knew me in the past and none of them knew I used to be Bulimic.

I stopped being Bulimic in 2002 and have never headed that way since.
  • escadachic
    Options
    Oh and I hate what people perceive as 'skinny', when in fact, the correct word is 'slim' and slim is healthy.

So many people use the word 'skinny' when they are referring to a slim person. Big difference between slim and skinny!

Skinny is a result of an eating disorder, looking extremely unhealthy. Slim, is healthy and toned, or just healthy.