Hypothyroidism??

Options
Curious to see if anyone has or knows anything about the issues I am having. Approximately 3 months ago I was diagnosed with Hypothyoidism and put on generic for Synthroid and have had it adjusted twice. I am currently taking 75 mcg. Doctor said I developed it towards the end of my pregnancy which is what caused my preclampsia and why I had trouble producing breast milk. I do not think I am on the right dose because I am still cranky, moody, soooooTIRED all the time, but I try to make the best of it. Sometimes I feel the opposite I will be full of energy and feel fantastic. My biggest issue though is my eyes. I have spent approx 200 dollars in the last month after going to an eye doctor who says I have a very chronic dry eye. I am doing everything he says, which is alot of work, and my eyes keep getting worse, it freaking hurts! So today I have been doing all this reading about how the medicine could be causing the eye problems, or I could have graves disease because apparently you can have both hypothroidism and hyperthyoidism....CAN SOMEONE HELP ME I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FRUSTRATED?

Replies

• Chickabittie
    Options
    Hi,

I'm sorry you are suffering from this. It could be two different issues,or it could be from the meds. I've heard from several people, and their doctors that the generic synthroid doesn't work well, and is pretty useless. Could you get your doctor to prescribe the brand name, not generic? Maybe then, at least you'd feel better and more energetic. Wish I could be of more help. : /
  • heaverchell
    heaverchell Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have it. I also developed it during my 1st pregnancy 7 years ago and have been on meds ever since. My dose has been increased a few times and was upped to 100mcg during my last pregnancy (I just had him late April 2011). Now I do go through periods of cranky/moody and tired when my meds are off so I would see if they can do another blood test to see if they need to be adjusted again. I don't have any issues with dry eye though. The only other problem I have is hair loss but right now that is probably more my hormones out of wack. I am also on the generic for Synthroid.

Let me ask you this, do you take your meds 1st thing in the morning and wait 30 min to an hour before eating?
  • kimberlynow
    kimberlynow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi.. I also am dealing with all of that.. my eyes are twitching tho and I am on 75ml too.. is the med helping you at all? I am trying to eat my right cals for the day and not take a nap.. I am always tired .. so I am also trying to look into healing the thyroid I think as soon as im heather and not overweight it will heal.. I also am new to the thyroid prob, they found it in looking for MS with me and now I found out its not MS but getting checked next year if I still have things going on .. but they found thyroid was off ,I hope you find somthing that helps you!:flowerforyou:
  • DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My 15 y/o son has hypothyroidism. He was born with no thyroid gland. None. He's on 225mcg of Levothyroxin (generic synthroid). There are days when he is overly tired for no reason, irritable, cranky. Other days he's happy go lucky and doing fine. I attribute most of the moodiness etc to him being a typical 15 y/o teen.
    As for the dry eyes, he's not complained of any issues like that. He's got perfect vision, and no troubles. I'm not sure if it's because you're still going thru the adjustment period for finding the correct dosage or what. Sorry I'm not able to help more. But know that you are not alone out there. Some of your symptoms I can say definitely can be from the hypothyroidism.
  • msranney
    Options
    I didn't think about trying synthroid instead. I have an appointment with my eye doctor for a checkup, I think I need to see if I can get in with primary too.

• flawedandfabulous
    Options
    I am sorry you are having such a hard time but your baby is beautiful. I have had hypothyroidism or hashimotos since 2001 after I had my third child. It was a while of up and down trying to find the right dose. The only way to really know is blood work because you are post partum also. I have dry eye issues, but I had Lasik done in 2002 which dry eye is a side effect of that also. I would talk to your primary care physician and if you need to go see an endocrineologist. Make sure you share all of your symptoms, and I wish you luck. I am on 112 mcg of levothyroxin, I was at 125 for many years, but I really need to get my levels checked because it has been kind of a long time.
  • msranney
    Options
    My pcp said to take them at night on an empty stomach.
  • koutwater
    koutwater Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You are RIGHT ON. If there is one thing I have learned, it is that the Dr.s don't know the extent of the symptoms of individaul hypothyroid cases. My son is hypothyroid and when his dose is off I don't need a blood test to tell. He cries because his chair moved. He cries because the page stuck on the book. He is beyond irritable. His eyes hurt, his body breaks out in eczema so bad he wakes up bloody from scratching. And the doctor says "he shouldn't be having syptoms that bad because his blood tests are fine, and he's borderline..." And then they upped his dose and he was my perfect (well... you know) little child again. Always go with YOUR gut. I would make an apt. to go back in. If you don't feel like your doc is listening to you, get a new one. Blessings!
  • GrandmaJody
    GrandmaJody Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, I am hypothyroid and I know that getting the meds right is a slow painful process. I was on Synthroid for about 2 years and I felt awful the whole time. For some people it works just fine, but i am not one of them. I have been on Armour for just over 2 months, and feel better then ever. Please make sure that they are checking your "Free T3 and Free T4" along with the T3 and T4. Not just your TSH. I am much older then you (52 next month) but I ended up being put on anti-depressents and then having a hysterectomy, only to find out that it was thyroid all along....Good luck to you and Google google google, a lot of support out there!
  • I have it too and at a dose of 125mg right now. I say you are still in the adjustment time to find the dose that will work for you. I was as high as 200mg at one time and with my weight loss and eating better I think that is why I'm finally down some but I still get it checked about twice a year.
  • flawedandfabulous
    Options
    I also take first thing in am on empty stomach, I don't eat for an hour, and you can't have any citrus juice like orange or grapefruit for 3 hours within pill taking. Also you have to wait at least an hour apart to take any vitamins.
  • koutwater
    koutwater Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Also - our ped. endocrinologist says to take the meds 1 hour before eating in the morning and DO NOT take with a vitamin (there are a couple of other things too - maybe Fish Oil? I can't remember) because it can bind to the med and make the body not be able to digest it.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I am on Synthroid too- Dr. just increased my dosage to 75 mcg.- I'm surprised at the am't of things in your body your thyroid regulates- Including your bowels ( too low>chronic constipation)

I was not aware that it could cause dry eye- I've been having eye issues too and had my eyes checked- no change they say- Hmm, wonder if this has been the issue since it seems my dosage was too low?

As far as the dry eyes goes, I know how you feel- I kept thinking I was getting pink eye- very UNcomfortable.

I was instructed by my eye doctor to apply warm-as-you-can-stand compresses ( folded washcloth, a baby one works great)
    to the eyes for 2-3 minutes, then take your index and middle fingers and massage from the inside corner (near your nose)
    downward.
    The heat from the compress stimulates the oil glands in your eyelids and massaging the natural lubricant into your eyes
    brings relief.
    He also gave me some Systane Gel drops ( OTC, found @ WalMart) to use @ night- can't drive w/ them in- it blurs vision.
    I put them in @ bedtime and they've helped A LOT- as well as the eyelid massage.

Best wishes to you
  • msranney
    Options
    Thanks for all the great info!

As far as my eyes for the last 6 weeks I have been on...

2 Fortieye Fish Oil Twice a day
    Doxycycline Twice a day

TheraTears 4 times a day (because apparently I am allegeric to perservatives) before I take the Lotemax drop.

Hot compress at night and then Lid scrub.
  • countinonme
    Options
    My son was born with hypthroidism. He is 15 now and has taken the brand name and the generic of this drug. The doctor has found no huge differences in the medicines.
  • countinonme
    Options
    My 15 y/o son has hypothyroidism. He was born with no thyroid gland. None. He's on 225mcg of Levothyroxin (generic synthroid). There are days when he is overly tired for no reason, irritable, cranky. Other days he's happy go lucky and doing fine. I attribute most of the moodiness etc to him being a typical 15 y/o teen.
    As for the dry eyes, he's not complained of any issues like that. He's got perfect vision, and no troubles. I'm not sure if it's because you're still going thru the adjustment period for finding the correct dosage or what. Sorry I'm not able to help more. But know that you are not alone out there. Some of your symptoms I can say definitely can be from the hypothyroidism.

Good job!
  • lovestobaketoo
    lovestobaketoo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have it too and I have to say it takes a while to feel better. I have been on my meds for a yaer and a half and am just starting to come out of the fog. I will say days I work out I feel a millions times better. Good luck and stay strong:)