The dreaded baby pouch!

Options
Hello !

This might be a very popular question around here, has somebody been able to get rid of that lower ab pouch from having kids with diet and exercise alone? is it realistic?
I know ladies who still have it and they are in great shape otherwise and some that got rid of it.
I remember somebody here in MFP long time ago, who had 5 kids and did it, she was in super shape. It's driving me crazy! am I just being impacient?

I just took my progress pic and every single part of my body is responding well to my program except THAT lower ab stuff!!!
I had 3 kids from 2007 to 2011 my last one 5 months ago, so my abs have been to hell and back.

Maybe cosmetic procedure is in order? It sounds super scary.

Replies

• Scatterdragon
    Scatterdragon Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have the pouch and am terrified that it will not go away, and if it does go away, will it go away after I have my next child. It is so disgusting and I am ashamed of it. Good luck!
  • ttballard
    ttballard Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what the problem is. If you have excess fat, you can lose it. If you have untoned muscles, you should be able to tone them. If you have a diastasis (separation of the abdominus rectus) then it is unlikely that you will be able to fix it. The book Losing Your Mummy Tummy has some exercises that may help, but it depends on the severity of the diastasis.
    Lie on your back on the floor, place your fingers at your belly button and lift your head (not shoulders) off of the floor. If you can fit more than two fingers in the gap, you likely have a diastasis.
    I have had 7 children (7 pregnancies) between 2002 and 2011, and I have a large diastasis. It isn't going anywhere, without surgery. I looked like this after my first though, it wasn't the number that I had, lol...
    Good luck!
    Tisha
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what the problem is. If you have excess fat, you can lose it. If you have untoned muscles, you should be able to tone them. If you have a diastasis (separation of the abdominus rectus) then it is unlikely that you will be able to fix it. The book Losing Your Mummy Tummy has some exercises that may help, but it depends on the severity of the diastasis.
    Lie on your back on the floor, place your fingers at your belly button and lift your head (not shoulders) off of the floor. If you can fit more than two fingers in the gap, you likely have a diastasis.
    I have had 7 children (7 pregnancies) between 2002 and 2011, and I have a large diastasis. It isn't going anywhere, without surgery. I looked like this after my first though, it wasn't the number that I had, lol...
    Good luck!
    Tisha

Part of the problem is also loose skin, which isn't likely to go away without surgery. Do what you can with a healthy diet and exercise and once you reach your goal weight see how things have changed. If you aren't happy with your results you can look at your options at that point.

I'm not exactly planning on having a tummy tuck, but I know it might be in my future.
  • MColette
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. Fortunely I don't have diastasis, I just don't know what to expect :( since I'm about 10- 12 lbs away from my target weight.

I guess it is a good idea to first get to the goal and then see from there, it is just frustrating that this particular area is like dead lol it just won't respond to exercise like the other parts of my body.

Here is a picture of how it looks like right now

DSC03005-1.jpg