Fatty Nuts

Options
Get your mind out of the gutters. Why do nuts have so much fat? Specifically almonds and cashews? Is this bad fat?

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Whether or not it's bad fat kind of depends on the person and how much they eat. Generally speaking, most people probably tell you no, It's good fat. Of course too much good fat (or any other source of calories) will make you gain weight..which may or may not be bad.

Clear as mud? :)
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Whether or not it's bad fat kind of depends on the person and how much they eat. Generally speaking, most people probably tell you no, It's good fat. Of course too much good fat (or any other source of calories) will make you gain weight..which may or may not be bad.

Clear as mud? :)
    Haha ahh clear as a politicians cerebral cortex :P
  • brooke4fitness
    brooke4fitness Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't know about cashews, but almonds (and olive oil) have good fat - the kind that helps your cholesterol and prevents heart disease. Still, all fat is calorie-rich so you can't eat too much.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Because that's how God made them. Yes it's good fat.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    almonds are a super food! Great for weight loss, fills you up and contain some important antioxidants
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Nuts and seeds (almonds and sunflower seeds in particular) make great snacks, and they do have healthy fats...but at the same time there is still a significant amount of fat in them, so one must be careful of intake (eating a whole can of almonds probably won't be so great, whether the fat is 'good' or not). My personal trainer told me to not eat more than 3-4 servings of nuts a week, because I went through a period of time when I was addicted to snacking on almonds...and all that fat (good or bad) definitely starts to add up in your calorie count!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Nuts and seeds (almonds and sunflower seeds in particular) make great snacks, and they do have healthy fats...but at the same time there is still a significant amount of fat in them, so one must be careful of intake (eating a whole can of almonds probably won't be so great, whether the fat is 'good' or not). My personal trainer told me to not eat more than 3-4 servings of nuts a week, because I went through a period of time when I was addicted to snacking on almonds...and all that fat (good or bad) definitely starts to add up in your calorie count!

agree with this. Healthy fats or not, going over your maintenance cals with them is going to lead to weight gain.

The only thing is I have read a study a while back that said that 90% of the nuts eaten passes through the digestive system and only 10% is stored. I wouldn't recommend saying that your 250cals of nuts is actually only 25 though :tongue: I wish I could find that damn study!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    They are fatty because they are designed to contain enough energy for a tree to get a good kick start and grow out of them.

If you are overweight, and eat too much fat, it's not going to be good for you. If you eat them in moderation, yes, the fat in nuts is better than say, animal fat. It isn't saturated fat, if that's what you mean.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    For all the men out there

http://www.cancerdecisions.com/121001.html

Info on Brazil nuts and how because they contain selenium they can help decrease your chances of getting prostrate cancer. Of course again watch the calories though. But for men they are good